all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: How to do rectangular cut(visual block) in emacs
@ 2009-03-24  5:12 ` Dirk-Jan C. Binnema
From: Dirk-Jan C. Binnema @ 2009-03-24  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Dhanakshirur; +Cc: emacs help

http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2008/12/working-with-rectangular-selections.html

might be helpful.

Best wishes,
Dirk.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema          <djcb[at]djcbsoftware.nl>
             http://www.djcbsoftware.nl/
PGP: D09C E664 897D 7D39 5047 A178 E96A C7A1 017D DA3C

* How to do rectangular cut(visual block) in emacs
@ 2009-03-24  5:16 Anand Dhanakshirur
From: Anand Dhanakshirur @ 2009-03-24  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs help

[-- Attachment #2: asd.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Anand Dhanakshirur
n:Dhanakshirur;Anand
email;internet:asd@cdotb.ernet.in
tel;work:(080)-25119295
tel;cell:9886178750
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: How to do rectangular cut(visual block) in emacs
       [not found] <mailman.3882.1237871267.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-24  7:59 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2009-03-24  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Move point to the top left corner and set the mark
Move point to the bottom right hand corner
Hit C-x r r <reg> where <reg> is a register. This will copy the
rectangle defined by the region into register <reg>

Later, when you want to get that rectangle of text back, just hit C-x r
i <reg> and the contents of <reg> will be pasted into the buffer where
point is.

HTH

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: How to do rectangular cut(visual block) in emacs
@ 2009-03-24 12:32   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-03-24 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

On Mar 24, 8:59 am, Tim X <t...@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
> Move point to the top left corner and set the mark
> Move point to the bottom right hand corner
> Hit C-x r r <reg> where <reg> is a register. This will copy the
> rectangle defined by the region into register <reg>
>
> Later, when you want to get that rectangle of text back, just hit C-x r
> i <reg> and the contents of <reg> will be pasted into the buffer where
> point is.

Now let say's I have the following text:

a/ this is a line
b/ this is a very long line
c/ a short one

and I want to copy the rectangle of this text without the a/ b/ c/

How do I move to the bottom right corner without adding space to the
last
line ?

thanks

* Re: How to do rectangular cut(visual block) in emacs
@ 2009-03-24 12:44     ` Rupert Swarbrick
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2009-03-24 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
> Now let say's I have the following text:
>
> a/ this is a line
> b/ this is a very long line
> c/ a short one
>
> and I want to copy the rectangle of this text without the a/ b/ c/
>
> How do I move to the bottom right corner without adding space to the
> last
> line ?

My personal solution? Use a normal M-w to plonk the whole list onto the
kill-ring, C-x C-b to a temporary buffer (I tend to use C-x C-b b RET),
yank the lot, use C-x r k to kill the starts of the lines and then C-w
the result and yank it to wherever it's needed.

There are probably swankier ways of doing it, but variants on this trick
solve all sorts of weird and wonderful layouts of stuff you want to
mangle.

Another solution would be C-M-% [a-z]/ RET RET of course.

Rupert

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 314 bytes --]

* Re: How to do rectangular cut(visual block) in emacs
@ 2009-03-24 12:52     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3905.1237899186.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-24 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.03.2009 um 13:32 schrieb Francis Moreau:

> How do I move to the bottom right corner without adding space to the
> last
> line ?

Two steps, two registers: one with lines #1 + #2, the other line #3.
Or vice-versa. Or you transpose line #1 and #2 or #2 and #3.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Competition is the great eroder of profits.

@ 2009-03-24 13:28       ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-03-24 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 24, 1:52 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 24.03.2009 um 13:32 schrieb Francis Moreau:
>
> > How do I move to the bottom right corner without adding space to the
> > last
> > line ?
>
> Two steps, two registers: one with lines #1 + #2, the other line #3.
> Or vice-versa. Or you transpose line #1 and #2 or #2 and #3.

Another possibility would be to switch to a special mode (like picture-
mode) that would allow to move freely into a buffer and select and
copy the rectangle in this mode. The copy would dismiss any trailing
spaces.

* Re: How to do rectangular cut(visual block) in emacs
@ 2009-03-24 15:29         ` poppyer
From: poppyer @ 2009-03-24 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

: On Mar 24, 1:52pm, Peter Dyballa <PeterDyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
:>
:
: Another possibility would be to switch to a special mode (like picture-
: mode) that would allow to move freely into a buffer and select and
: copy the rectangle in this mode. The copy would dismiss any trailing
: spaces.

If you are using emacs 23, M-x cua-set-rectangle-mark (default binding
C-RET) will be your friend.

* Re: How to do rectangular cut(visual block) in emacs
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3905.1237899186.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-25  9:11     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2009-03-25  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Mar 24, 8:59 am, Tim X <t...@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
>> Move point to the top left corner and set the mark
>> Move point to the bottom right hand corner
>> Hit C-x r r <reg> where <reg> is a register. This will copy the
>> rectangle defined by the region into register <reg>
>>
>> Later, when you want to get that rectangle of text back, just hit C-x r
>> i <reg> and the contents of <reg> will be pasted into the buffer where
>> point is.
>>

> Now let say's I have the following text:
>
> a/ this is a line
> b/ this is a very long line
> c/ a short one
>
> and I want to copy the rectangle of this text without the a/ b/ c/
>
> How do I move to the bottom right corner without adding space to the
> last
> line ?

You can't. You have to make it a rectangle. However, you can remove the
extra spaces afterwards.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au