all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* (window-system) returns nil on after-make-frame-functions when creating an X frame
@ 2009-03-09 17:02 Mike Mattie
From: Mike Mattie @ 2009-03-09 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The behavior of (window-system) as it stands has a corner-case that
does not make sense.

I run a function on after-make-frame-functions that loads my GUI configuration
(previously discussed).

To make sure it runs only when a X frame is created, vs. a TTY I would check
that it is an X frame.

To do this I called (window-system) which normally returns "x". It is not
the best idea, but intuitively after the X frame is created it would sensibly
return "x".

Currently it returns nil. When (window-system) is evaluated in the scratch
buffer sometime after the frame is made, well after after-make-frame-functions
it does indeed return "x".

Though my use in this case is not advised, I think the current behavior in
this scenario does not make sense.

Cheers,
Mike Mattie

--
GnuPG Key: B9012279 is available from HKP server pgp.mit.edu

* Re: (window-system) returns nil on after-make-frame-functions when creating an X frame
@ 2009-03-09 17:36 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2009-03-09 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Mattie; +Cc: emacs-devel

Mike Mattie <codermattie@gmail.com> writes:

  > Hi,
  >
  > The behavior of (window-system) as it stands has a corner-case that
  > does not make sense.
  >
  > I run a function on after-make-frame-functions that loads my GUI configuration
  > (previously discussed).
  >
  > To make sure it runs only when a X frame is created, vs. a TTY I would check
  > that it is an X frame.
  >
  > To do this I called (window-system) which normally returns "x". It is not
  > the best idea, but intuitively after the X frame is created it would sensibly
  > return "x".
  >
  > Currently it returns nil. When (window-system) is evaluated in the scratch
  > buffer sometime after the frame is made, well after after-make-frame-functions
  > it does indeed return "x".

How are you calling (window-system) ? You should be calling it from
within a `with-selected-frame'

* Re: (window-system) returns nil on after-make-frame-functions when creating an X frame
@ 2009-03-09 17:54 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-03-09 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Mattie; +Cc: emacs-devel

Mike Mattie <codermattie@gmail.com> writes:

> To do this I called (window-system) which normally returns "x". It is
> not the best idea, but intuitively after the X frame is created it
> would sensibly return "x".
>
> Currently it returns nil. When (window-system) is evaluated in the
> scratch buffer sometime after the frame is made, well after
> after-make-frame-functions it does indeed return "x".

Did you give `window-system' the frame as an argument?

* Re: (window-system) returns nil on after-make-frame-functions when creating an X frame
@ 2009-03-09 18:06   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-03-09 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Mike Mattie, emacs-devel

> How are you calling (window-system) ? You should be calling it from
> within a `with-selected-frame'

Or pass it the frame as an argument.

* Re: (window-system) returns nil on after-make-frame-functions when creating an X frame
@ 2009-03-09 18:38   ` Mike Mattie
From: Mike Mattie @ 2009-03-09 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 01:54:30PM -0400, Chong Yidong wrote:
> Mike Mattie <codermattie@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > To do this I called (window-system) which normally returns "x". It is
> > not the best idea, but intuitively after the X frame is created it
> > would sensibly return "x".
> >
> > Currently it returns nil. When (window-system) is evaluated in the
> > scratch buffer sometime after the frame is made, well after
> > after-make-frame-functions it does indeed return "x".
>
> Did you give `window-system' the frame as an argument?

I did. My function is as follows:

(defun is-current-frame-x ()
  (message "window system is %s" (princ (window-system (selected-frame))))
  (equal 'x (window-system (selected-frame)))
  )

when called on the before-make-frame-hook, and the after-make-frame-functions
hook the result is always nil.

In essence I want to hook when a frame is created and determine
if it is an X or tty frame. This might not be the right path,
but the results are strange ?

--

@ 2009-03-09 19:51   ` Mike Mattie
From: Mike Mattie @ 2009-03-09 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 01:54:30PM -0400, Chong Yidong wrote:
> Mike Mattie <codermattie@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > To do this I called (window-system) which normally returns "x". It is
> > not the best idea, but intuitively after the X frame is created it
> > would sensibly return "x".
> >
> > Currently it returns nil. When (window-system) is evaluated in the
> > scratch buffer sometime after the frame is made, well after
> > after-make-frame-functions it does indeed return "x".
>
> Did you give `window-system' the frame as an argument?

I finally hunted down the error in my code. I needed to pass the frame
argument given to the after-make-frame-functions functions.

Now it works correctly. Sorry for the noise.

Cheers,
Mike Mattie

--

@ 2009-03-09 20:10     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-03-09 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Mattie; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

> (defun is-current-frame-x ()
>   (message "window system is %s" (princ (window-system (selected-frame))))
>   (equal 'x (window-system (selected-frame)))
>   )

Please check which frame is (selected-frame).