all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#2439: 23.0.60; [patch] `Mark set' clobbers useful message in ibuffer
@ 2009-02-23  2:26 Geoff Gole
From: Geoff Gole @ 2009-02-23  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

In ibuffer, running ibuffer-toggle-sorting-mode will produce a useful
message telling the user what the buffer is now sorted by. That
message is immediately clobbered by an useless `Mark set' message
(useless because ibuffer stomps all over any such mark).

To reproduce:

  emacs -Q
  M-x ibuffer
  ,
  C-h e and observe that both "Sorting by ..." and "Mark set" appear

A patch follows (against GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
Version 2.12.11) of 2008-11-22 on elegiac, modified by Debian).

diff -c -L /usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/lisp/ibuffer.el.gz -L
/tmp/buffer-content-31328m2 /tmp/jka-com3132uwF
/tmp/buffer-content-31328m2
*** /usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/lisp/ibuffer.el.gz
--- /tmp/buffer-content-31328m2
***************
*** 2277,2283 ****
        (setq buffer-read-only t)
        (set-buffer-modified-p ibuffer-did-modification)
        (setq ibuffer-did-modification nil)
!       (goto-line (1+ orig)))))

  (defun ibuffer-quit ()
    "Quit this `ibuffer' session.
--- 2277,2284 ----
        (setq buffer-read-only t)
        (set-buffer-modified-p ibuffer-did-modification)
        (setq ibuffer-did-modification nil)
!       (goto-char 1)
!       (forward-line orig))))

  (defun ibuffer-quit ()
    "Quit this `ibuffer' session.

* bug#2439: 23.0.60; [patch] `Mark set' clobbers useful message in ibuffer
@ 2009-02-23 21:25 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-02-23 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Geoff Gole; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

   In ibuffer, running ibuffer-toggle-sorting-mode will produce a useful
   message telling the user what the buffer is now sorted by. That
   message is immediately clobbered by an useless `Mark set' message
   (useless because ibuffer stomps all over any such mark).

Confirmed. Your patch fixed that oddity.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* bug#2439: 23.0.60; [patch] `Mark set' clobbers useful message in ibuffer
@ 2009-02-25 16:30 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-02-25 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Geoff Gole; +Cc: 2439, emacs-pretest-bug

> !       (goto-char 1)
> !       (forward-line orig))))

Thanks for your patch, but please try to avoid hardcoding "1" as above.
Just use (point-min) instead.

* bug#2439: 23.0.60; [patch] `Mark set' clobbers useful message in  ibuffer
@ 2009-02-25 16:51   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2009-02-25 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier, 2439; +Cc: Geoff Gole

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 17:30, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Thanks for your patch, but please try to avoid hardcoding "1" as above.
> Just use (point-min) instead.

What is the point, when having a narrowed buffer would be an error?

In this case,

  (goto-char 1)
  (forward-line orig)

is not the same as

  (goto-line (1+ orig))

because `goto-line' uses `(save-restriction (widen) ...)'. So, if
anything, is not that the patch should use `point-min', but that it
should use

  (save-restriction
    (widen)
    (goto-char 1)
    (forward-line orig))

though I don't think narrowing the ibuffer buffer and then sorting is
a common enough operation to worry about it. Same for bs-down, where I
implemented the same fix.

    Juanma

* bug#2439: 23.0.60; [patch] `Mark set' clobbers useful message in  ibuffer
@ 2009-02-26  5:00   ` Geoff Gole
From: Geoff Gole @ 2009-02-26  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier, emacs-pretest-bug, 2439, lekktu

> Thanks for your patch, but please try to avoid hardcoding "1" as above.
> Just use (point-min) instead.

Good point. I took a peek at the source of goto-line to see if it did
anything that I'd need to replicate, and grabbed the line from there
without thinking.

Should goto-line also use (point-min)?

> I don't think narrowing the ibuffer buffer and then sorting is
> a common enough operation to worry about it.

I didn't bother with handling restrictions, as they don't seem to be
respected by ibuffer. Narrowed ibuffer buffers will either behave
strangely or simply clobber the restriction.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that in a comment or when submitting the patch.