all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnus help
@ 2004-06-20 11:41 david
From: david @ 2004-06-20 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

i want to change the From:my_email varible

where can i find it ?

* GNUS Help
@ 2009-02-05 12:58 Chris Willard
From: Chris Willard @ 2009-02-05 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello All,

As I spend lots of time in emacs I would like to try using gnus for
email instead of mutt.

Does anyone have, or know of, a tutorial to get me started? I have
looked at various web site but they don't really help.

Regards,

Chris.

--
oOoOo         "Happy feet...I've got those happy feet..."          oOoOo
 oOoOo                                                            oOoOo

* Re: GNUS Help
       [not found] <mailman.34.1233838719.17492.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-02-06  6:51 ` Martin Fischer
From: Martin Fischer @ 2009-02-06  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Chris Willard writes:

> Hello All,
>
> As I spend lots of time in emacs I would like to try using gnus for
> email instead of mutt.
>
> Does anyone have, or know of, a tutorial to get me started? I have
> looked at various web site but they don't really help.
>
> Regards,
>

> Chris.

Hi,

since you "spend lots of time in emacs", have you already used the info
system ?

  C-h i

  m gnus RET

  m mail TAB TAB

    Possible completions are:
    Mail                        Mail Back End Variables
    Mail Folders                Mail Group Commands
    Mail Source Customization   Mail Source Specifiers
    Mail Sources                Mail Spool
    Mail and Post               Mail in a Newsreader
    Mail-To-News Gateways       Mail-like Back Ends
    Maildir                     Mailing List

Martin

* Re: GNUS Help
@ 2009-02-06 15:33   ` tyler
From: tyler @ 2009-02-06 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Martin Fischer <parozusa@web.de> writes:

> Chris Willard writes:
>
>> As I spend lots of time in emacs I would like to try using gnus for
>> email instead of mutt.
>>
>> Does anyone have, or know of, a tutorial to get me started? I have
>> looked at various web site but they don't really help.
>>

> since you "spend lots of time in emacs", have you already used the info
> system ?

I have done this, and since the OP was looking for a tutorial to get him
started, the most pertinent entry in the gnus manual is probably
appendix 10.3:

* On Writing Manuals::          Why this is not a beginner's guide.

The Gnus info manual is, by design, not a good introduction to Gnus.
There is a tutorial available at

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusTutorial

Cheers,

Tyler

--
The contents of this email have been carefully examined by skilled
bits have been used in its construction.

@ 2009-02-06 18:51 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-02-06 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 12:58:21 +0000 Chris Willard <chris@thewillards.co.uk> wrote:

CW> As I spend lots of time in emacs I would like to try using gnus for
CW> email instead of mutt.

CW> Does anyone have, or know of, a tutorial to get me started? I have
CW> looked at various web site but they don't really help.

The Emacs Wiki has good info.  I got started with the Gnus manual,
personally.  It's more work but you will learn about all the
functionality as you read through it.

BTW, Gnus and GNUS are different.  You probably mean Gnus.  GNUS is a
special version you're unlikely to encounter, and is not the one in the
Emacs releases.

Ted

* Re: GNUS Help
@ 2009-02-06 20:11 ` Chris Willard
From: Chris Willard @ 2009-02-06 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009, Chris Willard wrote:

> Hello All,

[snip (20 lines)]

Thanks for the tips - I will have a look.

Chris.

--
"Today's Featured Items" really means "Things We Need To Get Rid Of"!!!