all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What to do so Vimpulse (Vim emulation plugin) can get into Emacs?
@ 2009-02-01  6:47 Jason A. Spiro
       [not found] ` <87eiyh932o.fsf@cyd.mit.edu>
From: Jason A. Spiro @ 2009-02-01  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I am the currently-inactive maintainer of Vimpulse[1], which builds on
top of viper-mode to emulate Vim features too, not just vi features.

What needs to be done so Vimpulse can get included as part of Emacs?

I know two things:

1.  fix Vimpulse's most serious bugs:  it is currently buggy

2.  do copyright assignment:  it hasn't been done yet, and Donald
Robertson, GNU copyright clerk, said it must wait until you accept
vimpulse into Emacs.  (The two main authors have agreed that they will
assign copyright when needed.)

I wonder:  What else?

Cheers,
Jason Spiro

^  [1].  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/vimpulse.el

--
Jason Spiro: software/web developer, packager, trainer, IT consultant.
I support Linux, UNIX, Windows, and more. Contact me to discuss your needs.

* Re: What to do so Vimpulse (Vim emulation plugin) can get into Emacs?
@ 2009-02-01 22:11 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found] ` <87eiyh932o.fsf@cyd.mit.edu>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-02-01 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I know two things:

> 1.  fix Vimpulse's most serious bugs:  it is currently buggy

> 2.  do copyright assignment:  it hasn't been done yet, and Donald
> Robertson, GNU copyright clerk, said it must wait until you accept
> vimpulse into Emacs.  (The two main authors have agreed that they will
> assign copyright when needed.)

I don't know what Donald was talking about, but step 2 can be done at
any time:
2a. send a "request-assign.changes" for past and future changes to Emacs.
2b. once this is done (and before inclusion), send an email to
    assign@gnu.org indicating that you consider vimpulse.el as being
    covered by the previous assignment.

Of course there are other steps:

3. Get it accepted.

4. Get it included.

Step 3 may require some more changes to better integrate it with
Emacs/Viper/Younameit.  Step 4 may require waiting for a good window
(typically the best time is right after a release).

@ 2009-02-01 23:20   ` Michael Kifer
From: Michael Kifer @ 2009-02-01 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:58:55 -0500
Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:

> "Jason A. Spiro" <jasonspiro4@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I am the currently-inactive maintainer of Vimpulse[1], which builds on
> > top of viper-mode to emulate Vim features too, not just vi features.
> >
> > What needs to be done so Vimpulse can get included as part of Emacs?
>
> Michael, have you tried Vimpulse?  What is your opinion of this package?

No, never tried.
I never used vim (except for quick vi editing when emacs is not there), so don't
know what I am missing :-)

If vimpulse can be made into a viper add-on then it would be great.
If it has to be a completely separate branch from viper,
it is also fine. In both cases, it would need a maintainer.

michael

* Re: What to do so Vimpulse (Vim emulation plugin) can get into Emacs?
@ 2009-06-21  5:29     ` Jason Spiro
From: Jason Spiro @ 2009-06-21  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

01 Feb 2009, Michael Kifer <kifer <at>cs.sunysb.edu>wrote:
>01 Feb 2009 17:58:55 -0500 Chong Yidong <cyd <at>stupidchicken.com>wrote:
>>"Jason A. Spiro" <jasonspiro4 <at>gmail.com>wrote:
>>>I am the currently-inactive maintainer of Vimpulse, which builds on
>>>top of viper-mode to emulate Vim features too, not just vi features.
>>>
>>>What needs to be done so Vimpulse can get included as part of Emacs?
>>
>>Michael, have you tried Vimpulse?  What is your opinion of this package?
>
>No, never tried.
>I never used vim (except for quick vi editing when emacs is not there), so don't
>know what I am missing
>
>If vimpulse can be made into a viper add-on then it would be great.
>If it has to be a completely separate branch from viper,
>it is also fine. In both cases, it would need a maintainer.

OK, Alessandro Piras has now stepped up as maintainer.  You can contact him via
the https://lists.ourproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/implementations-list
mailing list.  Now could Vimpulse be shipped with Emacs?