all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Disable bold fonts?
@ 2008-10-02  2:46 Taylor Venable
From: Taylor Venable @ 2008-10-02  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

Is there a way to disable bold fonts entirely?  Some X fonts (for
example, the smaller -misc-fixed ones) look ugly to me in bold, so I'm
looking for a way to disable bold in general rather than removing it
from every face I see that uses 'bold for the :weight attribute.

--
Taylor Venable              http://real.metasyntax.net:2357/

"(What the world needs (I think) is not (a Lisp (with fewer
parentheses)) but (an English (with more.)))"  [Brian Hayes]

* Re: Disable bold fonts?
@ 2008-10-02 10:03 ` David
From: David @ 2008-10-02 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Taylor Venable <taylor@metasyntax.net> writes:
> Is there a way to disable bold fonts entirely?  Some X fonts (for
> example, the smaller -misc-fixed ones) look ugly to me in bold, so I'm
> looking for a way to disable bold in general rather than removing it
> from every face I see that uses 'bold for the :weight attribute.

I don't know if you can disable bold in general, but your latter
approach can be done with these few lines:

(mapc
 (lambda (face)
	(when (eq (face-attribute face :weight) 'bold)
	  (set-face-attribute face nil :weight 'normal)))
 (face-list))

-David

* Re: Disable bold fonts?
@ 2008-10-02 10:21 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.31.1222945908.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-10-02 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Taylor Venable; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.10.2008 um 04:46 schrieb Taylor Venable:

> Some X fonts (for example, the smaller -misc-fixed ones) look ugly
> to me in bold

Is it so impossible to use other fonts?

--
Greetings

   Pete

If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then
the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.
				– Weinberg's Second Law

* Re: Disable bold fonts?
@ 2008-10-02 11:11   ` Taylor Venable
       [not found]   ` <mailman.31.1222945908.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Taylor Venable @ 2008-10-02 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 12:21:58PM +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 02.10.2008 um 04:46 schrieb Taylor Venable:
>> Some X fonts (for example, the smaller -misc-fixed ones) look ugly to
>> me in bold
>
> Is it so impossible to use other fonts?

No, but I like using this one because it's fast and gives a lot of
screen space on the relatively small laptop that it's running on.

I take it that it's never come up before to want to turn off bold
fonts?  It doesn't seem such a strange request to me.

--

@ 2008-10-02 12:22     ` Chetan
From: Chetan @ 2008-10-02 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Taylor Venable <taylor@metasyntax.net> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 12:21:58PM +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>> Am 02.10.2008 um 04:46 schrieb Taylor Venable:
>>> Some X fonts (for example, the smaller -misc-fixed ones) look ugly to
>>> me in bold
>>
>> Is it so impossible to use other fonts?
>
> No, but I like using this one because it's fast and gives a lot of
> screen space on the relatively small laptop that it's running on.
>
> I take it that it's never come up before to want to turn off bold
> fonts?  It doesn't seem such a strange request to me.

I use color themes package. I would not change my font just so I can
get bold that looks nice to me. I created another theme to remove bold
attribute whereever it was bothering me in my regular usage. There are
still some faces with bold lurking in them, but as long as it does not
bother me I don't care.

Chetan

* RE: Disable bold fonts?
@ 2008-10-02 15:27 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-10-02 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Taylor Venable', help-gnu-emacs

> Is there a way to disable bold fonts entirely?  Some X fonts (for
> example, the smaller -misc-fixed ones) look ugly to me in bold, so I'm
> looking for a way to disable bold in general rather than removing it
> from every face I see that uses 'bold for the :weight attribute.

This might not be the officially recommended way to do it, and it might not be
the best way to do it, but you could simply customize face `bold' to just
inherit from face `default' (with no other properties). IOW, redefine `bold' to
be the same as `default'.

* Re: Disable bold fonts?
       [not found] <mailman.13.1222915611.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-02 16:03 ` Chetan
From: Chetan @ 2008-10-02 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Taylor Venable <taylor@metasyntax.net> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to disable bold fonts entirely?  Some X fonts (for
> example, the smaller -misc-fixed ones) look ugly to me in bold, so I'm
> looking for a way to disable bold in general rather than removing it
> from every face I see that uses 'bold for the :weight attribute.

In my case, the only difference between some faces is whether there is bold
attribute or not. In such cases, I prefer to change the color as well.
Of course, it takes more effort, but I find it worth it.

Chetan