all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Keyboard macro counter formatted for letters
@ 2008-07-14 16:34 Corey Foote
From: Corey Foote @ 2008-07-14 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is it possible to format the keyboard macro counter (say,
using kmacro-set-format) such that the counter will insert letters instead of
numbers. I'm writing a macro which is adding letters to an ordered list, and I
think this would be handy. If not, is there any other way to accomplish this? Thanks!

Sincerely,

Corey Foote

It’s a talkathon – but it’s not just talk.
http://www.imtalkathon.com/?source=EML_WLH_Talkathon_JustTalk

* RE: Keyboard macro counter formatted for letters
@ 2008-07-14 16:54 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-07-14 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Corey Foote', help-gnu-emacs

> Is it possible to format the keyboard macro counter (say,
> using kmacro-set-format) such that the counter will insert
> letters instead of numbers. I'm writing a macro which is
> adding letters to an ordered list, and I think this would
> be handy. If not, is there any other way to accomplish this?

I don't have a direct answer to your question. However, this might help:

In Icicles, command `icicle-kmacro' takes the place of command `kmacro', by
default (e.g. it is bound to `f5' in Icicle mode). The macros in the keyboard
macro ring are given the names `macro #1', `macro #2', and so on, according to
their position in the ring, and you can invoke them by name using completion.
Icicles completion lets you match any part of a name or access names by cycling.

(This is a multi-command, meaning that you can use a single invocation of `f5'
to execute any number of keyboard macros, if you like.)

* Re: Keyboard macro counter formatted for letters
@ 2008-07-14 17:52 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-07-14 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Corey Foote; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Corey Foote wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to format the keyboard macro counter (say, using
> kmacro-set-format) such that the counter will insert letters instead of
> numbers. I'm writing a macro which is adding letters to an ordered list,
> and I think this would be handy. If not, is there any other way to
> accomplish this? Thanks!

I have never tried, but can't you use the format %c with
kmacro-set-format and kmacro-set-counter to initialize the value?

* RE: Keyboard macro counter formatted for letters
@ 2008-07-14 19:49   ` Corey Foote
From: Corey Foote @ 2008-07-14 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Yes! That works.

The only problem is that if you run off the end of the alphabet, you get characters which are non-letters (A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z [ \ ] ^ _ `) while in such a lettering scheme, I'd think you'd expect to start getting double letters. (A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z AA AB AC AD AE AF)

- Corey

> Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:52:11 +0200
> From: lennart.borgman@gmail.com
> To: coreyfoote@hotmail.com
> CC: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Keyboard macro counter formatted for letters
>
> Corey Foote wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to format the keyboard macro counter (say, using
> > kmacro-set-format) such that the counter will insert letters instead of
> > numbers. I'm writing a macro which is adding letters to an ordered list,
> > and I think this would be handy. If not, is there any other way to
> > accomplish this? Thanks!
>

> I have never tried, but can't you use the format %c with
> kmacro-set-format and kmacro-set-counter to initialize the value?

The i’m Talkaton. Can 30-days of conversation change the world?
http://www.imtalkathon.com/?source=EML_WLH_Talkathon_ChangeWorld

* RE: Keyboard macro counter formatted for letters
@ 2008-07-24 22:05 Juanma
From: Juanma @ 2008-07-24 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: coreyfoote; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> The only problem is that if you run off the end of the alphabet, you get
> characters which are non-letters (A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T
> U V W X Y Z [ \ ] ^ _ `) while in such a lettering scheme, I'd think you'd
> expect to start getting double letters. (A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q
> R S T U V W X Y Z AA AB AC AD AE AF)

This might be not what you want, because it's about replace-regexp, not
about kmacro, but take a look for yourself:

http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2006/06/shiny-and-new-emacs-22.html

Search for "Example: Alphabetically Numbered Lists"
--
Juanma

"Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like
 having a peeing section in a swimming pool."
       -- Edward Burr