all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gdb-show-main disappeared...
@ 2008-07-02 17:38 Denis Golovan
From: Denis Golovan @ 2008-07-02 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, all

    I have a trouble using gdb-show-main option in emacs 23.0.60 (cvs version).
It simply lacks gdb-show-main. Any help?

--
Best regards,
Denis Golovan aka MageSlayer

* gdb-show-main disappeared...
@ 2008-07-02 19:34 Denis Golovan
From: Denis Golovan @ 2008-07-02 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, all

    I have a trouble using gdb-show-main option in emacs 23.0.60 (cvs Linux version).

@ 2008-07-02 19:39 Denis Golovan
From: Denis Golovan @ 2008-07-02 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, all

    I have a trouble using gdb-show-main option in emacs 23.0.60 (cvs Linux version).
    It simply lacks gdb-show-main. Any help?
--
Best regards,
Denis Golovan aka MageSlayer

* Re: gdb-show-main disappeared...
@ 2008-07-03 21:29 ` Nick Roberts
       [not found]   ` <20080704145511.GA8325@dencomp.local>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-07-03 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Golovan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 >     I have a trouble using gdb-show-main option in emacs 23.0.60 (cvs version).
 > It simply lacks gdb-show-main. Any help?

It still seems to be there if you do `C-h v gdb-show-main'.  Note though that
it's not autoloaded so you need to load gdb-ui.el first, e.g., by doing M-x gdb
or M-x load-library<RET> gdb-ui<RET>.

@ 2008-07-04 22:36     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-07-04 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Golovan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

[please cc help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org]

 > >  >     I have a trouble using gdb-show-main option in emacs 23.0.60 (cvs
 > >  > version).  It simply lacks gdb-show-main. Any help?
 > >
 > > It still seems to be there if you do `C-h v gdb-show-main'.
 >
 >   Yes, it's present in documentation, and even can be saved to .emacs, but
 >   doesn't work, still showing gdb text buffer.

That sounds like a different problem.  How do you mean "it doesn't work"?

 > > Note though that it's not autoloaded so you need to load gdb-ui.el first,
 > > e.g., by doing M-x gdb or M-x load-library<RET> gdb-ui<RET>.
 >
 >   Yeap, I do M-x gdb and no luck. M-x load-library<RET> gdb-ui<RET> says:

 > and also doesn't help. Maybe some other el files are not in place.
 >
 > P.S. I'm Emacs-newbie, as you see.

The principles of bug reporting are not specific to Emacs.  See the node
"Reporting Bugs" in the Emacs manual. Can you explain what the symptoms are and
exactly how to reproduce it?

* Re: gdb-show-main disappeared...
@ 2008-07-06 16:05       ` Denis Golovan
From: Denis Golovan @ 2008-07-06 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 10:36:51AM +1200, Nick Roberts wrote:

> [please cc help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org]

  Of course.

>  > >  >     I have a trouble using gdb-show-main option in emacs 23.0.60 (cvs
>  > >  > version).  It simply lacks gdb-show-main. Any help?
>  > >
>  > > It still seems to be there if you do `C-h v gdb-show-main'.
>  >
>  >   Yes, it's present in documentation, and even can be saved to .emacs, but
>  >   doesn't work, still showing gdb text buffer.
>
> That sounds like a different problem.  How do you mean "it doesn't work"?

  Doesn't show main function and can't be called from mini-buffer (I think command-line below is called so)

>  > > Note though that it's not autoloaded so you need to load gdb-ui.el first,
>  > > e.g., by doing M-x gdb or M-x load-library<RET> gdb-ui<RET>.
>  >
>  >   Yeap, I do M-x gdb and no luck. M-x load-library<RET> gdb-ui<RET> says:
>  >
>  >
>  > and also doesn't help. Maybe some other el files are not in place.
>  >
>  > P.S. I'm Emacs-newbie, as you see.
>
> The principles of bug reporting are not specific to Emacs.  See the node
> "Reporting Bugs" in the Emacs manual. Can you explain what the symptoms are and
> exactly how to reproduce it?

  Well, it's easy - try to build emacs from svn source, build any program with debug info and M-x gdb. Next is
all we discussing. BTW, gdb-ui DOES contain gdb-show-main, I checked.

--

@ 2008-07-06 21:25         ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-07-06 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Golovan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > > That sounds like a different problem.  How do you mean "it doesn't work"?
 >
 >   Doesn't show main function and can't be called from mini-buffer (I think
 >   command-line below is called so)

gdb-show-main is a variable, not a function, so you can't do
M-x gdb-show-main.  From the mini-buffer, gou need to do
M-x set-variable<RET>
Set variable: t (say)

 > > The principles of bug reporting are not specific to Emacs.  See the node
 > > "Reporting Bugs" in the Emacs manual. Can you explain what the symptoms
 > > are and exactly how to reproduce it?
 >
 >   Well, it's easy - try to build emacs from svn source, build any program
 > with debug info and M-x gdb. Next is all we discussing. BTW, gdb-ui DOES
 > contain gdb-show-main, I checked.

What happens if you set a breakpoint at main and type "run" in the GUD buffer?
If the source doesn't appear in a buffer it probably means that you haven't
compiled with debug information (-g option).

* Re: gdb-show-main disappeared...
@ 2008-07-09 12:02           ` Denis Golovan
From: Denis Golovan @ 2008-07-09 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 09:25:19AM +1200, Nick Roberts wrote:
>  > > That sounds like a different problem.  How do you mean "it doesn't work"?
>  >
>  >   Doesn't show main function and can't be called from mini-buffer (I think
>  >   command-line below is called so)
>
> gdb-show-main is a variable, not a function, so you can't do
> M-x gdb-show-main.  From the mini-buffer, gou need to do
> M-x set-variable<RET>
> Set variable: t (say)

  Yes, you are completely right. My fault :(. It works now :).
  Thanks.