all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Subject of closure notifications sent to submitters [Re: bug#119acknowledged by developer (Closing fixed bugs)]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 10:27:51 -0700	[thread overview]

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, Drew Adams wrote:
> Well, what can I say? Such a subject line is useless to me. The only
> connection it shows with the bug I filed is the bug number, and that
> is not the most helpful for finding the thread of messages,
> including the original, that involve the bug.

That's a message which is sent to a submitter, which is outside of the
thread of the discussion of the bug in most cases. Furthermore, the
message you got sent comes from using close, which is deprecated
because it doesn't provide enough information to the submitter to see
exactly why their bug was closed. [I'm most likely going to remove it
in the future anyway, so people whouldn't get used to using it now.]

> FWIW, any bug tracking system I've ever used sends mails that keep
> the original bug title intact as the subject. Even when the original
> title does not accurately describe the bug, it is kept (along with
> the bug number) as the bug identifier, and that identifier is used
> in the Subject of all mails concerning the bug.

That's because most bug tracking systems don't use mail for everything
that they do, and the only subject they have is the original message.

> Also, please at least add a link in the mail body to the original
> bug report in a threaded list on a Web page. We should be able to
> just click a link in any mail regarding a particular bug to get to
> the complete thread.

It's in the footer of all messages sent out by the BTS (or at last,
should be; if it's not, bounce me a complete example off list.)

Don Armstrong

--
This can't be happening to me. I've got tenure.
 -- James Hynes _Publish and Perish_