On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 01:27:57 +0200 "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" wrote: > Juanma Barranquero wrote: > > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:53 AM, Nick Roberts > > wrote: > > > >> I guess > >> the dangers generally outweigh the advantages but there's not > >> much point in marking them obsolete if they're never going to be > >> removed. > > > > I agree. I just don't expect it to happen. > > > I am not sure I agree. Are not a function sometimes marked as > obsolete because there is a new better version that works in more > cases? The old obsolete function may still work in many cases. > > Maybe a more visible warning when obsolete things are found would be > good? (Using for example lwarn.) A mention of a URL, or the information to fix it would be a help. This was a jewel for figuring out what old style back-quotes are. http://iep.water.ca.gov/d/bin/sbin/site/lib/xemacs-19.15/lisp/prim/backquote.el CA Department of Water Resources Interagency Ecological Program (I.E.P) was not my first thought to find such a useful Emacs document. This file had a very good explanation. I know you can always google, but google is getting less useful it seems: to many hits on web-forums and portals. >