On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 11:17:10 +0000 (UTC) Ilya Zakharevich wrote: > A few of years ago RMS asked me what one could do to make ELisp > regular expressions more handable. > > Now, when the support for Perl REx in CPerl mode is finally finished, > I think I know the answer: one needs to allow a special read syntax > for regular expressions (the result being an ordinary string). This > way one can avoid the acute backslashitis [by inverting \( and (, > etc], the regular expressions may be specially indented, and the > syntax highlighter would have a chance to remove most of the remaining > complexity by proper highlighting (similar to CPerl one). > > What do you think? I would love it. Regex's don't need a slash tax to be cryptic. > Yours, > Ilya > > P.S. I put example of how my (Perl) test "code" is highlighted to > > ilyaz.org/software/tmp/CPerl-REx-highlight.png