On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:38:26 +0200 Thierry Volpiatto wrote: > rustom writes: > > > On Mar 30, 11:59 pm, Oleg Katsitadze wrote: > >> CVS is good but has a few flaws.  Don't use it for new projects. > >> > >> SVN (subversion) is a successor to CVS with the flaws fixed and new > >> features added. > >> > >> Distributed systems (git, monotone) are good when you don't have > >> (or don't want to have) a server to keep the repository. > > > > Yes that is my impression also. > > What your reply suggests however is that we are seeing a cycle of > > simple-complex-simple: > > rcs -- simple (no server) > > cvs,svn -- more complex because needs centralized server > > modern distributed ones -- once again no need for server but with > > the lock model replaced with the merge model (see > > http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.basic.vsn-models.html ) > > > > And so I was wondering if these systems give the best of all worlds? > > > > But... there are just too many to choose from!! bzr, darcs, git, > > mercurial, monotone... > > [Alphabetically listed :-) ] > > > > So my question is: For people living much of their lives in emacs > > and among other things trying to keep their own stuff versioned, > > what do you use?? > > > > For the choice rcs-for-sysadmin files I see 3 options: > > > > -- make the ,v file next to the original file > > -- make the ,v file in an RCS directory -- but that way one could > > end up having tens (100s?) of RCS directories in /etc alone! > > -- there is some way (I dont know of) of making one RCS repo for all > > files or at least all sysadmin file. So that something like 'I keep > > my home in svn' http://kitenet.net/~joey/svnhome/ is possible with > > RCS > > > RCS do one directory RCS by directory. > thats mean that for /etc for example you will have one directory RCS > for all the files you have under version in this directory. > If you register a file in a subdirectory of /etc you will have a RCS > directory in this subdirectory ....etc.. > If you use RCS for file in /etc think at unlocking the files that can > be dynamically modified by the system. > But another time, if you want to put under version a big set of files > like /etc, use another version system. > CVS ==> bof... > SVN ==> good but a central repository. I use svn mostly. A central repository makes backups easy, just dump the repo. > mercurial ==> very good, own repo, you can use it with dvc. > git ==> seem to be the more advanced, work with dvc. > bzr ==> seem good, never tried, work with dvc. > > With mercurial, if you want to put under version all /etc, > just do while you have cd in /etc: > hg init.==> thats done, all files in /etc and all subdir are under > version!