all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-<, M->, M-% ...
@ 2008-03-26  1:00 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-03-26  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

What is the best way to invoke the above mentionned keys in the
linux console (I really mean the console, not a xterm) ?

Regards

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: M-<, M->, M-% ...
       [not found] <mailman.9420.1206495574.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-26  5:28 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2008-03-26  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.9420.1206495574.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the best way to invoke the above mentionned keys in the
> linux console (I really mean the console, not a xterm) ?

ESC <
ESC >
ESC %

Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

@ 2008-03-26  6:08 ` poppyer
From: poppyer @ 2008-03-26  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> What is the best way to invoke the above mentionned keys in the
> linux console (I really mean the console, not a xterm) ?

I managed to get M-< and M-> works, but M-arrow keys still not working.

1). make a mykeymap plain txt file:
alt shift keycode 51 = Meta_less
alt shift keycode 52 = Meta_greater
alt keycode 103 = F98
alt keycode 108 = F99
string F98 = "\033\033[A" # Meta_up
string F99 = "\033\033[B" # Meta_down

2) sudo loadkeys mykeymap

cheers,
poppyer

> Regards
>
> 	Xavier

* Re: M-<, M->, M-% ...
@ 2008-03-26  6:40   ` Andrea Vettorello
From: Andrea Vettorello @ 2008-03-26  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 6:28 AM, Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article <mailman.9420.1206495574.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
>
>  Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > What is the best way to invoke the above mentionned keys in the
>  > linux console (I really mean the console, not a xterm) ?
>
>  ESC <
>  ESC >
>  ESC %

Or C-[ if Esc is difficult to reach.

--
Andrea

* Re: M-<, M->, M-% ...
@ 2008-03-26 21:27 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2008-03-26 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, Xavier,

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 02:00:38AM +0100, Xavier Maillard wrote:
> Hi,

> What is the best way to invoke the above mentionned keys in the
> linux console (I really mean the console, not a xterm) ?

There are two things you need to do.  You need to enhance your keyboard
layout to generate distinct codes for these keys (dumpkeys and loadkeys
are your friends), and you need to tell Emacs how to interpret them.

A fully general method for getting this going was worked out a decade
ago by Kalle Niemitalo.  I've been using it for many years.  This scheme
allows you such key sequences as C-S-<up>, too.

The particular keys you're asking about, M-%, M-<, and M->, are
relatively simple on an English keyboard layout.  I'm not sure how it
would be on a (?)French layout.  Here is the bit of my file
boottime.kmap.gz that gives M-<

keycode  51 = comma            less
	alt     keycode  51 = Meta_comma
        shift alt keycode 51 = Meta_less                <==============
        control shift keycode 51 = F205 # ACM 21/12/03

The "string" F205 (for C-<), lower down in the file, looks like this:

string F205 = "\033[1><"         # Control+Shift+, (C-<)

Two Emacs lisp files interpret the 7 new prefixes, like that in F205.
For example,

    <esc>[1>   is interpreted as <control>
    <esc>[2>                     <alt>
    <esc>[4>                     <shift>

They put extra bindings in the function key map.

If you would like, I could send you all these files by private email,
though you will have to adapt my English keyboard layout to your own
one.  It will take, perhaps, an evening or two to get working
satisfactorally.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg).

* Re: M-<, M->, M-% ...
@ 2008-03-27  1:00     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-03-27  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Vettorello; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   >  > What is the best way to invoke the above mentionned keys in the
   >  > linux console (I really mean the console, not a xterm) ?
   >
   >  ESC <
   >  ESC >
   >  ESC %

   Or C-[ if Esc is difficult to reach.

Yes, this is how I am currently doing but I find it
counter-productive and hard to type (and I am fed up to type
these two-times key bindings :)).

	Xavier

From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-03-27  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barry Margolin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   > What is the best way to invoke the above mentionned keys in the
   > linux console (I really mean the console, not a xterm) ?

   ESC <
   ESC >
   ESC %

I never liked these ones :) Thanks.

	Xavier
--

       [not found]   ` <mailman.9486.1206581993.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-03-27  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poppyer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   > What is the best way to invoke the above mentionned keys in the
   > linux console (I really mean the console, not a xterm) ?

   I managed to get M-< and M-> works, but M-arrow keys still not working.

Very intelligent. Why can't you have M-right and friends working
with this method ?

   1). make a mykeymap plain txt file:

   alt shift keycode 51 = Meta_less
   alt shift keycode 52 = Meta_greater
   alt keycode 103 = F98
   alt keycode 108 = F99
   string F98 = "\033\033[A" # Meta_up
   string F99 = "\033\033[B" # Meta_down

Really good. How did you find the keys to modify ?

Regrds

	Xavier
--

@ 2008-03-27  2:42     ` poppyer
From: poppyer @ 2008-03-27  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

>    > What is the best way to invoke the above mentionned keys in the
>    > linux console (I really mean the console, not a xterm) ?
>
>    I managed to get M-< and M-> works, but M-arrow keys still not working.
>
> Very intelligent. Why can't you have M-right and friends working
> with this method ?

I believe that it is because Meta_less and Meta_greater are predefined in
the keymap, while Meta_up, Meta-right etc are not.

I just google up the string like Meta_up is "\033\003[A" but obvious it
is not working in my case. so I think if you can figure out the correct
string, it should work.

cheers,
poppyer

@ 2008-03-27  2:52   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2008-03-27  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

poppyer <poppyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the best way to invoke the above mentionned keys in the
>> linux console (I really mean the console, not a xterm) ?
>
> I managed to get M-< and M-> works, but M-arrow keys still not working.
>
> 1). make a mykeymap plain txt file:
> alt shift keycode 51 = Meta_less
> alt shift keycode 52 = Meta_greater
> alt keycode 103 = F98
> alt keycode 108 = F99
> string F98 = "\033\033[A" # Meta_up
> string F99 = "\033\033[B" # Meta_down
>
> 2) sudo loadkeys mykeymap

That is the way I've done it in the past. Note that normally, on at
leatst GNU Linux systems, there are default emacs keymaps that you can
use with loadkeys. Using one of these may provide a better range of
mappings. Note that you can combine these keymap files with 'include'
statements. Check the loadkeys man page.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: M-<, M->, M-% ...
@ 2008-03-27  9:18       ` Andrea Vettorello
From: Andrea Vettorello @ 2008-03-27  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:00 AM, Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> wrote:
[...]

>    Or C-[ if Esc is difficult to reach.
>
>  Yes, this is how I am currently doing but I find it
>  counter-productive and hard to type (and I am fed up to type
>  these two-times key bindings :)).

I somewhat misread what you were asking, but yeah, I find it
frustrating using Emacs outside X, on terminal emulators or console
(maybe I should spend some time to configure it), so I try to avoid
it.  ^__^

Anyway for some key combinations I like the Esc and C-[ "sticky"
behaviour, usually when I need to reach for the shift key other than
meta (I know about sticky modifiers in the "assistive technology" of
the various DE but I can't get used to have it enabled all the time).

--
Andrea

* Re: M-<, M->, M-% ...
@ 2008-03-31 18:59   ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-03-31 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> Hi, Xavier,
>
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 02:00:38AM +0100, Xavier Maillard wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> What is the best way to invoke the above mentionned keys in the
>> linux console (I really mean the console, not a xterm) ?
>
> There are two things you need to do.  You need to enhance your keyboard
> layout to generate distinct codes for these keys (dumpkeys and loadkeys
> are your friends), and you need to tell Emacs how to interpret them.

I used
loadkeys emacs
dumpkeys > jkeys

Then I edited the file "jkeys."  Wherever I saw "AltGr" I changed it to
"Alt."  Then I gzipped the file, and loaded it with loadkeys.  This is
on Slackware 12.0.  Now I have right Alt working.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.