all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Open Outline-mode file in collapsed state
@ 2008-03-25  3:28 ` Evans Winner
From: Evans Winner @ 2008-03-25  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

bev <fbe2@comcast.net> writes:

    Hi all.

    I'd like to figure out a way to open an outline file in
    it's fully collapsed state, so that all I see is the
    headers.

I believe you can add the string --

  #+STARTUP: overview

-- to the very top of your file.  Check the info file:

  (info "(org)In-buffer settings")

* Open Outline-mode file in collapsed state
@ 2008-03-25  3:28 bev
From: bev @ 2008-03-25  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all.

I'd like to figure out a way to open an outline file in it's fully
collapsed state, so that all I see is the headers. As things stand
now, when I open a file in outline-mode it's fully expanded and I have
to run \C-c \C-q - (hide-subtrees) -  to get it into the collapsed
state. It's a bore to have to do that every single time I open one of
those files.

I tried adding (eval-after-load (hide-subtrees)) to the outline-mode-
hook, but that doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bev

* Re: Open Outline-mode file in collapsed state
@ 2008-03-26  1:00   ` Xavier Maillard
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9419.1206495571.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-03-26  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evans Winner; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   bev <fbe2@comcast.net> writes:

       Hi all.

       I'd like to figure out a way to open an outline file in
       it's fully collapsed state, so that all I see is the
       headers.

   I believe you can add the string --

     #+STARTUP: overview

   -- to the very top of your file.  Check the info file:

     (info "(org)In-buffer settings")

Does this work with the regular outline-mode ?

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

@ 2008-03-27  8:33     ` bev
From: bev @ 2008-03-27  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 25, 6:00 pm, Xavier Maillard <x...@gnu.org> wrote:
>    bev <f...@comcast.net> writes:
>
>        Hi all.
>
>        I'd like to figure out a way to open an outline file in
>        it's fully collapsed state, so that all I see is the
>        headers.
>
>    I believe you can add the string --
>
>      #+STARTUP: overview
>
>    -- to the very top of your file.  Check the info file:
>
>      (info "(org)In-buffer settings")
>
> Does this work with the regular outline-mode ?
>
>         Xavier
> --http://www.gnu.orghttp://www.april.orghttp://www.lolica.org

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying add that to the top
of every single outline file I have? (Hundreds). I don't want to do
that. I need a function that will simply run (hide-trees) every time I
open an outline file. I really can't take the time to go add a line to
hundreds of files. Also, I've never seen that before. Is that lisp
code?

Thanks

Bev

* Re: Open Outline-mode file in collapsed state
@ 2008-03-27 14:25       ` Evans Winner
From: Evans Winner @ 2008-03-27 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

bev <fbe2@comcast.net> writes:

    I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying add that to the top
    of every single outline file I have? (Hundreds). I don't want to do
    that. I need a function that will simply run (hide-trees) every time I
    open an outline file. I really can't take the time to go add a line to
    hundreds of files. Also, I've never seen that before. Is that lisp
    code?

No, as I already said, this was a mistake on my part.  I
thought the question was about org-mode.  I am pretty sure
this will not work for outline mode.

Maybe try putting in your .emacs something like

  (add-to-list 'outline-mode-hook (lambda (hide-sublevels 1)))

I haven't tested it, but I think something like this would
be the answer.

* Re: Open Outline-mode file in collapsed state
@ 2008-03-27 19:15         ` bev
From: bev @ 2008-03-27 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 27, 7:25 am, Evans Winner <tho...@timbral.net> wrote:
> bev <f...@comcast.net> writes:
>
>     I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying add that to the top
>     of every single outline file I have? (Hundreds). I don't want to do
>     that. I need a function that will simply run (hide-trees) every time I
>     open an outline file. I really can't take the time to go add a line to
>     hundreds of files. Also, I've never seen that before. Is that lisp
>     code?
>
> No, as I already said, this was a mistake on my part.  I
> thought the question was about org-mode.  I am pretty sure
> this will not work for outline mode.
>
> Maybe try putting in your .emacs something like
>
>   (add-to-list 'outline-mode-hook (lambda (hide-sublevels 1)))
>
> I haven't tested it, but I think something like this would
> be the answer.

Ah, ok, sorry about not getting the org-mode mistake.
That looks good. I'll try it. In the meantime I figured out one
solution, which seems a little klugey, but it works:

(add-hook 'outline-mode-hook '(lambda ()
       (beginning-of-buffer)
       (outline-next-visible-heading 1)
       (hide-other)
       (hide-subtree)))

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. I appreciate it. I'll try
your solution as it's more elegant, and seems much closer to THE RIGHT
WAY to do it.

Bev

* Re: Open Outline-mode file in collapsed state
@ 2008-03-27 19:27         ` bev
From: bev @ 2008-03-27 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 27, 7:25 am, Evans Winner <tho...@timbral.net> wrote:
> bev <f...@comcast.net> writes:
>
>     I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying add that to the top
>     of every single outline file I have? (Hundreds). I don't want to do
>     that. I need a function that will simply run (hide-trees) every time I
>     open an outline file. I really can't take the time to go add a line to
>     hundreds of files. Also, I've never seen that before. Is that lisp
>     code?
>
> No, as I already said, this was a mistake on my part.  I
> thought the question was about org-mode.  I am pretty sure
> this will not work for outline mode.
>
> Maybe try putting in your .emacs something like
>
>   (add-to-list 'outline-mode-hook (lambda (hide-sublevels 1)))
>
> I haven't tested it, but I think something like this would
> be the answer.

Evans,

Yep, a slight variation of your solution works. I now have in
my .emacs:
(add-hook 'outline-mode-hook '(lambda () (hide-sublevels 1)))

I've never seen that syntax before -- putting a '1' after a function
that takes no args. Does that just mean 'make it so'? I don't know why
just having hide-sublevels without the '1' won't work.

Thanks Evans.

Bev

* Re: Open Outline-mode file in collapsed state
@ 2008-03-27 19:48           ` Evans Winner
From: Evans Winner @ 2008-03-27 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

bev <fbe2@comcast.net> writes:

    Yep, a slight variation of your solution works. I now
    have in my .emacs:
    (add-hook 'outline-mode-hook '(lambda () (hide-sublevels 1)))

Forgot to quote it.  Sorry.

    I've never seen that syntax before -- putting a '1'
    after a function that takes no args. Does that just mean
    'make it so'? I don't know why just having
    hide-sublevels without the '1' won't work.

`hide-sublevels' used non-interactively actually does take
one argument[1].  Its interactive definition must give it some
way around that, since used interactively it behaves as if
it were passed the argument `1'.  I am not sure how it works
after a quick glance.

Footnotes:
[1]  The documentation for `hide-sublevels' is:

,----[ C-h f hide-sublevels RET ]
| hide-sublevels is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
| `outline.el'.
|

| (hide-sublevels LEVELS)
|
| Hide everything but the top LEVELS levels of headers, in whole buffer.
|
| [back]
`----

* Re: Open Outline-mode file in collapsed state
@ 2008-03-27 21:01             ` bev
From: bev @ 2008-03-27 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 27, 12:48 pm, Evans Winner <tho...@timbral.net> wrote:
> bev <f...@comcast.net> writes:
>
>     Yep, a slight variation of your solution works. I now
>     have in my .emacs:
>     (add-hook 'outline-mode-hook '(lambda () (hide-sublevels 1)))
>
> Forgot to quote it.  Sorry.
>
>     I've never seen that syntax before -- putting a '1'
>     after a function that takes no args. Does that just mean
>     'make it so'? I don't know why just having
>     hide-sublevels without the '1' won't work.
>
> `hide-sublevels' used non-interactively actually does take
> one argument[1].  Its interactive definition must give it some
> way around that, since used interactively it behaves as if
> it were passed the argument `1'.  I am not sure how it works
> after a quick glance.
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  The documentation for `hide-sublevels' is:
>
> ,----[ C-h f hide-sublevels RET ]
> | hide-sublevels is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> | `outline.el'.
> |

> | (hide-sublevels LEVELS)
> |
> | Hide everything but the top LEVELS levels of headers, in whole buffer.
> |
> | [back]
> `----

Ahhhh.... a great light begins to dawn!

Gracias amigo.

Bev

* Re: Open Outline-mode file in collapsed state
@ 2008-03-29 15:55 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-29 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bev; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

bev <fbe2@comcast.net> writes:

> I tried adding (eval-after-load (hide-subtrees)) to the outline-mode-
> hook, but that doesn't work.

(add-hook 'outline-mode-hook 'hide-sublevels)

--
Bastien

@ 2008-03-29 15:56   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-29 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Evans Winner <thorne@timbral.net> writes:

> I believe you can add the string --
>
>   #+STARTUP: overview
>
> -- to the very top of your file.  Check the info file:
>
>   (info "(org)In-buffer settings")

This is for org-mode, not for outline-mode.

--
Bastien

* Re: Open Outline-mode file in collapsed state
@ 2008-03-29 16:12             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-29 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evans Winner; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Evans Winner <thorne@timbral.net> writes:

> `hide-sublevels' used non-interactively actually does take
> one argument[1].

Missed that, sorry.

So the right solution is the one you already mentioned:

  (add-hook 'outline-mode-hook '(lambda () (hide-sublevels 1)))

Just out of curiosity: using both an (interactive) form and a mandatory
argument looks unclean to me.  I would expect an (interactive "s") form
when the first argument is not optional (and is expected to be a string)
or only optional arguments when (interactive) is used.

Is there any clean way to decide on this?

--
Bastien