On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:32:02 +0100 Bastien wrote: > Richard Stallman writes: > > > Polling the users is not a matter of simply counting votes. > > The most important part of the answer is "why". > > What is the scenario in which a certain feature is helpful > > or inconvenient? What aspect of it is helpful or > > inconvenient? > > Fully agreed. > > I suggested simple questions, not simple answers. > > > Thus, trying to use better technology to count votes is missing > > the point of the poll. > > Yes. The whole point of using the form I proposed is precisely to get > detailed comments and scenarii, not raw yes/no. > > If people suggest a list of questions and associated fields for such a > poll, I'd happily draft a new one. > Here are some basic questions I thought of to give some context. It's hard to ask directly for the information you want without loading the questions, so I fell back on some basic background information as a starting place. What was the motive or appeal that sustained your climb of the Emacs learning curve ? What quality keeps Emacs indispensable ? Years of Emacs Experience ? Programming Experience: 0-9 Primary applications, or what do you use Emacs for pre-dominantly ? apps,web dev, books ? Native language ? Age ? use of mouse ? 0-4 Most useful Modes ? Least useful Modes ? Size of .emacs ? How do you go about learning a new Emacs feature you need ? subscribed to emacs-devel y/n subscribed to help-gnu-emacs y/n systems you use Emacs on ? (autoconf triplets) Emacs version ? External Elisp packages used: (significant to daily workflow at least) Most difficult command to learn ? Easiest command to learn ? command with best DWIM ? command with worst DWIM ? Use marks for ? (what is a mark should be a valid answer) favorite movie/book ? (throw at least one fun question in just so people don't get bored filling out a survey. Could do the "top 5" for the fun question). Cheers, Mike Mattie