Hi David, On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:17:01 +0100 David Kastrup wrote: > It was correct. Since that time I have a healthy dose of scepticism > about people (and teams) tinkering with their algorithms and "coming > through". > > The real metric is not how much you improve things, but where they > should be in the first place. > > I am not implying that this is happening here. But if we are several > orders of magnitude behind the competition, the proven ability of > squeezing off some runtime at the cost of legibility (and thus also > the viability of further optimizations without destabilization) is > not a useful metric. The impression I get is that Bazaar has its concerns well-separated enough internally that an entirely new algorithm for a given part of the code base can be substituted in without a great deal of hassle. That is to say, many of the performance improvements being made are not tweaks to existing algorithms, but replacements of the existing algorithms with better ones. A recent example of this would be knits being replaced by packs in the storage layer. Dan