all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to prevent abbreviation in c comment?
@ 2008-03-07 14:59 sunway
       [not found] ` <mailman.8518.1204914695.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: sunway @ 2008-03-07 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have defined an abbreviation of  "main" for "int main () {}" in c-mode using
skeleton,
but I don't want "main" be expanded when it is in c comment blocks, how to?

--
sunway

"Never, never, never, never give up."

* Re: how to prevent abbreviation in c comment?
@ 2008-03-07 18:33 ` Andreas Röhler
       [not found] ` <mailman.8518.1204914695.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2008-03-07 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Freitag, 7. März 2008 15:59 schrieb sunway:
> I have defined an abbreviation of  "main" for "int main () {}" in c-mode
using
> skeleton,
> but I don't want "main" be expanded when it is in c comment blocks, how to?
>

> --
> sunway
>
> "Never, never, never, never give up."

IMO best solution is to redefine your abbrev.

Maybe, when defining abbrevs, think about how to avoid
such, i.e. don't use existing words as abbreviations,
unless there are reasons to do so.

Andreas Röhler

@ 2008-03-10 19:00   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-03-10 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I have defined an abbreviation of  "main" for "int main () {}" in c-mode
> using
>> skeleton,
>> but I don't want "main" be expanded when it is in c comment blocks, how to?
>>

>> --
>> sunway
>>
>> "Never, never, never, never give up."
>>

> IMO best solution is to redefine your abbrev.

> Maybe, when defining abbrevs, think about how to avoid
> such, i.e. don't use existing words as abbreviations,
> unless there are reasons to do so.

In Emacs-23, abbreviations have been reimplemented and they offer some
new features, including an ability to disable them with a hook.
This was specifically designed so that programming modes can set
this :enable-function to a function that disables the abbreviations in
comments and strings.