all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to find out where a variable is changed?
@ 2008-03-01 10:02 sunway
From: sunway @ 2008-03-01 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

transient-mark-mode mut be enabled somewhere , but how could i find
out where it is changed

* Re: how to find out where a variable is changed?
@ 2008-03-01 10:33 ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2008-03-01 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* sunway (2008-03-01) writes:

> transient-mark-mode mut be enabled somewhere , but how could i find
> out where it is changed

Look in etc/NEWS.  Assuming you are using a recent build from CVS.

--
Ralf

* Re: how to find out where a variable is changed?
@ 2008-03-01 11:36 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2008-03-01 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

sunway <sunwayforever@gmail.com> writes:

> transient-mark-mode mut be enabled somewhere , but how could i find
> out where it is changed

M-x customize-variable RET transient-mark-mode RET

THIS IS A 100% MATTER PRODUCT: In the unlikely event that this
merchandise should contact antimatter in any form, a catastrophic
explosion will result.

* Re: how to find out where a variable is changed?
@ 2008-03-01 15:35   ` sunway
From: sunway @ 2008-03-01 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 1, 7:36 pm, Pascal Bourguignon <p...@informatimago.com> wrote:
> sunway <sunwayfore...@gmail.com> writes:
> > transient-mark-mode mut be enabled somewhere , but how could i find
> > out where it is changed
>
> M-x customize-variable RET transient-mark-mode RET
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__                    http://www.informatimago.com/
>
> THIS IS A 100% MATTER PRODUCT: In the unlikely event that this
> merchandise should contact antimatter in any form, a catastrophic
> explosion will result.

Transient Mark Mode: Hide Value Toggle  on
   State: CHANGED outside Customize; operating on it here may be
unreliable.

the variable is changed outside, but where is it changed?

* Re: how to find out where a variable is changed?
@ 2008-03-01 15:37     ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo @ 2008-03-01 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: how to find out where a variable is changed?
@ 2008-03-01 15:46     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8136.1204386400.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-03-01 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sunway; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.03.2008 um 16:35 schrieb sunway:

> the variable is changed outside, but where is it changed?

~/.emacs, your personal init file? Don't you see the hyper-link to
the customise interface?

--
Greetings

   Pete       (:
         _    / __    -    -
       _/ \__/_/        -     -
      (´`)      (´`)   -    -
       `´        `´

* Re: how to find out where a variable is changed?
@ 2008-03-01 18:19     ` Andreas Röhler
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8136.1204386400.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2008-03-01 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Samstag, 1. März 2008 16:35 schrieb sunway:
> On Mar 1, 7:36 pm, Pascal Bourguignon <p...@informatimago.com> wrote:
> > sunway <sunwayfore...@gmail.com> writes:
> > > transient-mark-mode mut be enabled somewhere , but how could i find
> > > out where it is changed
> >
> > M-x customize-variable RET transient-mark-mode RET
> >
> > --
> > __Pascal Bourguignon__                    http://www.informatimago.com/
> >
> > THIS IS A 100% MATTER PRODUCT: In the unlikely event that this
> > merchandise should contact antimatter in any form, a catastrophic
> > explosion will result.
>
> Transient Mark Mode: Hide Value Toggle  on
>    State: CHANGED outside Customize; operating on it here may be
> unreliable.

IMHO this warning must not mean that much.

AFAIU it's always switched on, if the state was
changed. That doesn't mean present state must differ
from state as variable was set.

Think at the result of

(buffer-modified-p)

If you open a file, it says nil, not modified.

If you insert a char and delete it afterwards, buffer
contents is as opened, however considered modified by
(buffer-modified-p).

`transient-mark-mode' AFAIK might have been set on and
off by several functions during execution, usually
restoring the state before, however that depends from
the functions called.

So set it to your need and forget the warning unless
more indications counsel otherwise.

Andreas Röhler

@ 2008-03-31  2:17       ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2008-03-31  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.8136.1204386400.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Peter Dyballa  <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

>Am 01.03.2008 um 16:35 schrieb sunway:
>
>> the variable is changed outside, but where is it changed?
>
>~/.emacs, your personal init file? Don't you see the hyper-link to
>the customise interface?

What hyper-link -- in one's .emacs?

For me, at least, it's a new concept -- a hyper-link in a .emacs?

I really don't understand what you (two) are talking about   :-(

-------

Separately, and a real pain for me, I've never understood just how
to use customize.   (Edit options, yes, from way, way, back -- but
not this "newfangled" customize thing.)

I guess the main problem for me is that it's windows-like, in that
you've got to traversing down in a tree, easy enough if you
already know what's where in the tree.

But without that knowledge, I'm just stuck there at the top,
having no idea where to go down to.

Like windows, you see in some book instructions to

    "foo" -->  "parties" --> "drinks" ---> ...

What a pain having to have pretty-much memorized what's where.

I always thought unix stuff was more flat than windows,
eg large (well, HUGE) numbers of commands under a /bin,
like sec (1) man-pages, enormous, and all flat.

Anyway, every other emacs-user seems happy with customize -
maybe I could get some hints from you guys?

Thanks!

David

* Re: how to find out where a variable is changed?
@ 2008-03-31  8:49         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-03-31  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Combs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 31.03.2008 um 04:17 schrieb David Combs:
>>> the variable is changed outside, but where is it changed?
>>
>> ~/.emacs, your personal init file? Don't you see the hyper-link to
>> the customise interface?
>
> What hyper-link -- in one's .emacs?
>
> For me, at least, it's a new concept -- a hyper-link in a .emacs?

I was referring to the hyper-link that is shown in *Help* buffer when
the meaning of a variable is looked up.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Increase the size of your bike by at least *five* inches!

* Re: how to find out where a variable is changed?
@ 2008-03-31  9:28         ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2008-03-31  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> In article <mailman.8136.1204386400.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
> Peter Dyballa  <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:
>>
>>Am 01.03.2008 um 16:35 schrieb sunway:
>>
>>> the variable is changed outside, but where is it changed?
>>
>>~/.emacs, your personal init file? Don't you see the hyper-link to
>>the customise interface?
>
> What hyper-link -- in one's .emacs?
>
> For me, at least, it's a new concept -- a hyper-link in a .emacs?
>
> I really don't understand what you (two) are talking about   :-(
>

> -------
>
> Separately, and a real pain for me, I've never understood just how
> to use customize.   (Edit options, yes, from way, way, back -- but
> not this "newfangled" customize thing.)
>

> I guess the main problem for me is that it's windows-like, in that
> you've got to traversing down in a tree, easy enough if you
> already know what's where in the tree.
>
> But without that knowledge, I'm just stuck there at the top,
> having no idea where to go down to.
>
> Like windows, you see in some book instructions to
>
>     "foo" -->  "parties" --> "drinks" ---> ...
>
> What a pain having to have pretty-much memorized what's where.
>
> I always thought unix stuff was more flat than windows,
> eg large (well, HUGE) numbers of commands under a /bin,
> like sec (1) man-pages, enormous, and all flat.
>
> Anyway, every other emacs-user seems happy with customize -
> maybe I could get some hints from you guys?
>

> Thanks!

Like many things in emacs and even unix, there are many ways of using
customize.

If you just type M-x customize, you do get the big tree browser of all
customizable options/variables. However, this is not how I normally use
it.

You can also use M-x customize-variable, M-x customize-group, M-x
customize-face. I tend to use these a lot more often. In later versions
of emacs, M-x customize-face and M-x customize-variable will also
default to something 'sensible' based on where the point is in the
buffer. When you do a C-h v, you will usually also see a "this variable
can be /customized/ " where customize is a link that will bring up the
necessary customize buffer for that variable.

It took me a long time to move to using customize as well, but now I
find it fast and useful - very useful for trying out changes as
well. While of no great help to me, it also has the advantage of
allowing people to customize emacs without having to know elisp.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: how to find out where a variable is changed?
@ 2008-03-31 16:11         ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2008-03-31 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 31, 7:17 am, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

> Anyway, every other emacs-user seems happy with customize -
> maybe I could get some hints from you guys?

Not me!

I make one careless command -- may be only distantly related to
customize -- and my .emacs gets strewn with customize crud.

And as you point out what comes up when you call customize is quite
unintuitive and unhelpful

O for the time when a setq in .emacs did the job!

* Re: how to find out where a variable is changed?
@ 2008-03-31 16:43           ` Mike Treseler
       [not found]           ` <mailman.9716.1206984508.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mike Treseler @ 2008-03-31 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On Mar 31, 7:17 am, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
>> Anyway, every other emacs-user seems happy with customize -
>> maybe I could get some hints from you guys?

Start with customize-apropos

rustom wrote:
> And as you point out what comes up when you call customize is quite
> unintuitive and unhelpful

You do need a center mouse button.
Once I figured it out, I liked it.

          -- Mike Treseler

* RE: how to find out where a variable is changed?
@ 2008-03-31 17:27           ` Drew Adams
       [not found]           ` <mailman.9716.1206984508.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-03-31 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'rustom', help-gnu-emacs

> > Anyway, every other emacs-user seems happy with customize -
> > maybe I could get some hints from you guys?
>
> Not me!
>
> I make one careless command -- may be only distantly related to
> customize -- and my .emacs gets strewn with customize crud.
>
> And as you point out what comes up when you call customize is quite
> unintuitive and unhelpful
>
> O for the time when a setq in .emacs did the job!

Yes, the Customize UI could use some improvement. Send your suggestions to
emacs-devel@gnu.org. Descriptions of deficiencies help; so do descriptions of
solutions and patches.

Tip: It's not a bad idea to use a separate `custom-file' (`C-h v custom-file'),
so that Customize does not write to your .emacs file. Put this, for example, at
the end of your .emacs: (load-file custom-file). That way, your `init-file' is
for hand editing, and your `custom-file' is for automatic editing by Customize.

@ 2008-04-01  4:08             ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2008-04-01  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 31, 10:27 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:

> Tip: It's not a bad idea to use a separate `custom-file' (`C-h v custom-file'),
> so that Customize does not write to your .emacs file. Put this, for example, at
> the end of your .emacs: (load-file custom-file). That way, your `init-file' is
> for hand editing, and your `custom-file' is for automatic editing by Customize.

Thanks for this. I'll try it. But I am not so sure...

I use emacs for quite different purposes. I like to have the
customizations of these separately maintained.  As a programmer I
appreciate internal cleanliness more than external sugar-coating :-)

However this forces me to keep my c-mode and python and org and ecb
and god-knows-what-else customizations all together -- which I dont
like.

The problem as I see it is that the specification of initialization
in .emacs is given imperatively whereas it could be more declarative
and event-driven.

Assuming emacs is to .emacs as linux is to init, a possible
alternative that illustrates would be upstart -- see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReplacementInit#head-4263a0dc03fdf9b46c2004f3e63d8033990db10a
http://upstart.ubuntu.com/index.html