On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:09:34 +0900 Miles Bader wrote: > Richard Stallman writes: > > No it's not. If that feature is desired (seems ok to me), it > > should just be added to normal t-m-m. > > > > That makes sense to me. Just as C-SPC C-SPC enables a temporarily > > specially active region when that's not the default (Transient Mark > > mode disabled), it could set the mark and not activate in the mode > > where activating is the default (Transient Mark mode enabled). > > > > I am not sure whether it is useful, but there is no reason to reject > > it if it is useful. > > Now that I think about it, I really like this idea: it's very easy to > understand that C-SPC C-SPC and C-SPC are "active and non-active" > mark-setting commands, and simply swap roles depending on whether > full-t-m-mode is enabled, and obviously C-SPC C-SPC is very convenient > to type. > > I've never really used the "push a mark" command much, as I use > t-m-mode, but I think if C-SPC C-SPC pushed a non-active mark, I would > use it more often. It will rock your world :) especially when you consider that the mark-ring is a list. I am going to cook up a function that assumes the marks of the ring are inside defuns. That way I can quickly extract several functions by dropping a mark on each one as I scan through the buffer, and then collect them off the mark ring. Just one idea, but it's food for thought. It's great to be able to leave a trail. or apply commands beyond a linear region. A mark is insanely great when it is just a mark. > -Miles >