all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Narrowing to non-adjacent regions
@ 2008-01-30 19:42 davidjneu@gmail.com
From: davidjneu@gmail.com @ 2008-01-30 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to narrow a buffer so that multiple
non-adjacent
regions are displayed.

The code snippet below doesn't work, but conveys what I'm looking for.

Many thanks!

Cheers,
David

(defun narrow-two ()
  (interactive "*")
  (widen)
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (let ((start-1 (point))
	(end-1 (progn (next-line 5) (point)))
	(start-2 (progn (next-line 7) (point)))
	(end-2 (progn (end-of-buffer) (point))))
  (narrow-to-region start-1 end-1)
  (narrow-to-region start-2 end-2)))

* Re: Narrowing to non-adjacent regions
@ 2008-02-01 14:27 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2008-02-01 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Mittwoch, 30. Januar 2008 20:42 schrieb davidjneu@gmail.com:
> Hi,
>
> Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to narrow a buffer so that multiple
> non-adjacent
> regions are displayed.
>
> The code snippet below doesn't work, but conveys what I'm looking for.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> (defun narrow-two ()
>   (interactive "*")
>   (widen)
>   (goto-char (point-min))
>   (let ((start-1 (point))
> 	(end-1 (progn (next-line 5) (point)))
> 	(start-2 (progn (next-line 7) (point)))
> 	(end-2 (progn (end-of-buffer) (point))))
>   (narrow-to-region start-1 end-1)
>   (narrow-to-region start-2 end-2)))

As GNU Emacs enables only a single region at time
AFAIK, you'll need another tool to do this.

Already exists block.el, look, if it is suitable.

Once several blocks are known, set the remaining chars
to invisible. Maybe block.el delivers that already.

HTH

Andreas Röhler

* Re: Narrowing to non-adjacent regions
@ 2008-02-01 14:39   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-02-01 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Röhler wrote:
> Already exists block.el, look, if it is suitable.

It does? Where?

@ 2008-02-01 16:58     ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2008-02-01 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Freitag, 1. Februar 2008 15:39 schrieb Lennart Borgman (gmail):
> Andreas Röhler wrote:
> > Already exists block.el, look, if it is suitable.
>
> It does? Where?
>
> > Once several blocks are known, set the remaining chars
> > to invisible. Maybe block.el delivers that already.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Andreas Röhler
http://www.mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~vaeth/download/mv_emacs.zip

* Re: Narrowing to non-adjacent regions
@ 2008-02-01 18:51     ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2008-02-01 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Freitag, 1. Februar 2008 15:39 schrieb Lennart Borgman (gmail):
> Andreas Röhler wrote:
> > Already exists block.el, look, if it is suitable.
>
> It does? Where?
>
> > Once several blocks are known, set the remaining chars
> > to invisible. Maybe block.el delivers that already.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Andreas Röhler

Just had a look into block.el after some times and see:
,----
| ;; 2. There is only one block for all buffers.
`----

That means, developing went in the opposite direction.

Nonetheless I think this might deliver a starting
point: Once a block is stored independently from unique
region, with some changes you may enable storing more
of them.

Andreas Röhler

* Re: Narrowing to non-adjacent regions
@ 2008-02-01 19:00 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2008-02-01 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Mittwoch, 30. Januar 2008 20:42 schrieb davidjneu@gmail.com:
> Hi,
>
> Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to narrow a buffer so that multiple
> non-adjacent
> regions are displayed.
>
> The code snippet below doesn't work, but conveys what I'm looking for.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> (defun narrow-two ()
>   (interactive "*")
>   (widen)
>   (goto-char (point-min))
>   (let ((start-1 (point))
> 	(end-1 (progn (next-line 5) (point)))
> 	(start-2 (progn (next-line 7) (point)))
> 	(end-2 (progn (end-of-buffer) (point))))
>   (narrow-to-region start-1 end-1)
>   (narrow-to-region start-2 end-2)))

here is multi-region.el

working right out of the box.

http://www.ph.ed.ac.uk/~s0198183/multi-region.el

It comes with a command

,----
| (defun multi-region-execute-command (&optional arg cmd)
|   "Perform a command on all active multi-regions.
`----

Remains just to revert that, making it work at all
non-active parts.

Andreas Röhler