all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Anything like this exist already? (buffer name intelligence)
@ 2008-01-11 18:59 Aaron Maxwell
From: Aaron Maxwell @ 2008-01-11 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I find that much of the work I do now involves similarly named files, so that
the default buffer naming algorithm is less than ideal.  For example, I write
Python code in the Django framework a lot, which at any given moment I'll
have a number of files like this open at once:
pkg1/__init__.py
pgk1/models.py
pkg1/views.py
pkg2/__init__.py
pkg1/views.py
some_unrelated_library/__init__.py

Etc.  So it's hard to know what the buffer named "__init__.py<3>" corresponds
to just from memory, etc.

I've taken to renaming such buffers with a prefix in their file path, just
enough to make them unique: i.e., for "/home/amax/src/snazzylib/__init__.py",
I might rename its buffer from "__init__.py" to "snazzylib/__init__.py".  And
I wrote a utility to automate this, which I've pasted below.  I bind it to
C-c e, and thus can quickly give a new buffer a clueful name without
interrupting myself to think about it.

Am I reinventing the wheel here?  I can't imagine being the first to be
annoyed by this, so there's a good chance this problem has already been
solved.  If someone knows of an existing solution, can you point me to it?

If so, I may use that rather than putting more work into this (I have further
features in mind).  Otherwise I'll add to it and package it up nice and
pretty so others can use it.

Thanks.

--
Aaron Maxwell
http://redsymbol.net

Business Owners and Self-Employed:  You're NOT Alone!
The Business Butler - http://businessbutler.us

* Re: Anything like this exist already? (buffer name intelligence)
       [not found] <mailman.6051.1200077954.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-01-11 19:08 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2008-01-11 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Aaron Maxwell wrote:
> I've taken to renaming such buffers with a prefix in their file path, just
> enough to make them unique: i.e., for "/home/amax/src/snazzylib/__init__.py",
> I might rename its buffer from "__init__.py" to "snazzylib/__init__.py".  And
> I wrote a utility to automate this, which I've pasted below.  I bind it to
> C-c e, and thus can quickly give a new buffer a clueful name without
> interrupting myself to think about it.

mmm. i have the following in my .emacs:

(toggle-uniquify-buffer-names)

which seems to do the same thing, only automatically. (it even renames the
buffer back to __init__.py when only one such file is left open.)

> Am I reinventing the wheel here?

looks like it. ;-)

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: Anything like this exist already? (buffer name intelligence)
@ 2008-01-11 19:19   ` Aaron Maxwell
From: Aaron Maxwell @ 2008-01-11 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 11, 11:08 am, Joost Kremers <joostkrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Aaron Maxwell wrote:
> mmm. i have the following in my .emacs:
> > (toggle-uniquify-buffer-names)
> which seems to do the same thing, only automatically. (it even renames the
> buffer back to __init__.py when only one such file is left open.)

Oh that's perfect.  Exactly what I'm looking for.  Automatic renaming
was what I was going to add next, but now I don't have to.

> > Am I reinventing the wheel here?
> looks like it. ;-)

At least I had fun doing it :)

Thanks Joost.