all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Further VC tuning is blocked
@ 2008-01-04 13:17 Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2008-01-04 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I think I've reached the limit of what I can do to speed-tune VC,
pending one of the following developments:

1. Profiling discloses another hotspot that I can micro-optimize away.

2. We drop Dired and go with something like ewoc.

While I'm willing to do the latter, I'm fairly neutral on the design issue.
I still want to hear RMS's arguments for retaiming Dired.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.  Suspect every one
who approaches that jewel.  Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it
but downright force.  Whenever you give up that force, you are
inevitably ruined."	-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 5 1788