all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Dr. Werner Fink" <werner@suse.de>
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Cc: Jochen Luebbers <jole@buerotiger.de>
Subject: GTK/GDK Usage or API broken (Was: Several problems in KDE/KWin)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:37:26 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 03:57:57PM +0100, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 05:54:20PM +0100, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
> > Two problems have beem seen:
> >
> >   Emacs does not keep the "iconic" information in KDE/KWin
> >   Emacs does not un-maximize in KDE/KWin
> >
> > When starting emacs in kde in the background iconified like:
> >  emacs --iconic &
> > it shows only in the menu-bar of kde but not in the screen (by intent). Now, if
> > I save the desktop configuration, quit kde and start it again, emacs is startet
> > - what is expected - but not iconified - what is not expected.
> >
> > After maximizing an emacs window, it is not possible to un-maximise it.
> > It may depend on font size and desktop geometry.  I have these in
> > Xresources:
> >  Emacs.font:     10x20
> >  Emacs.geometry: 80x38
> >  Size of desktop is 1400x1050.
> > The symptom is that after maximizing, the "maximize/un-maximize" button stays
> > in the "maximize" state (one square), intead of going to the "un-maximize"
> > state (two squares).
>
> Just found out that the second problem depends on the max resize
> request send from KWin. Im my test case this is 1680x975 but
> emacs with gtk response with 1672x962 which seems to leave the
> KWin in the state `not maximized' which leads on the next press
> on the min/max button to a further maximize.
>
> How this problem can be solved?  This problem does not happen
> without gtk but X standard toolkit.  The later seems to add
> the remaining pixel to the internal border width/height.

As no one is interested to fix this bug I've added a
workaround to switch to the Athena/Xaw3d toolkit
instead of using GTK which is done by this scriplet:

  #!/bin/bash
  # Avoid trouble with maximize/minimize within KDE (bug #345669)
  #  -> under KWin emacs does not maximize in the correct way if
  #     GTK/GDK is used as toolkit.  After click on the maximize
  #     button emacs shrinks to fit to the current font which
  #     destroys the maximize state in KWin.
  # Avoid trouble with "iconic" state information (bug #342385)
  #  ->  under KWin emacs with GTK/GDK toolkit does not hold its
  #      "iconic" state if a desktop state is saved before logout
  #      and restored after login.
  toolkit=gtk
  KDE_FULL_SESSION=$(xprop -root KDE_FULL_SESSION 2>/dev/null)
  case "$KDE_FULL_SESSION" in
  *true*) toolkit=x11
  esac
  exec -a ${0} ${0}-${toolkit}