On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:14:12 -0800 (PST) Xah Lee wrote: > for some reason my code in the previous post is completely non- > functional. (i swear i used it for few months. Perhaps when i put on > the website i got smart and edited it "for the better" without > testing) > > Here's the correct version: > > (defun delete-enclosed-text () > "Delete texts between any pair of delimiters. > Note: if you have nested matching pairs, the cursor > should be inside the inner most one. Else it gets confused. > This code should to be fixed in the future." > (interactive) > (save-excursion > (let (p1 p2) > (skip-chars-backward "^(<["<<") (setq p1 (point)) > (skip-chars-forward "^)>]">>") (setq p2 (point)) > (delete-region p1 p2) > ) > ) > ) I decided to fix it in regards to nested lists. My implementation works however it is purely for elucidation. It is a recursive implementation that is nth recursive where n is the number of nested delimiters in the list. that means that if you use this on a list with deep nesting it *will* crash after exhausting the recursion limit. So don't use it for real. A reliable solution would likely be based off something from thingatpoint.el ? there must be something like this in the code-motion code for elisp. This sort of function/feature? is dangerous even when implemented procedurally because it will go wild if your delimiters aren't matched correctly. Other flaws: * error path in bounds scan marked by "error ?" not implemented because I have not studied elisp error handling yet. * does not handle multi-byte characters due to use of aref in bounds-scan-{forward,backward} With that said it does illustrate the value of lexical-let, and solves the problem in a general way. It would be quite easy to add variations that kill instead of deleting, or whatever other features you want. I implemented it recursively simply because It looked prettier to me, probably since I started with scheme. anyways here goes. one last big fat warning: this code is for fun, it will eat your children eventually. ;; --- start of elisp (defun bounds-scan ( seek-bounds open-bound-p close-bound-p restart-position position level ) "scan for the delimitation of a region. This is a general form of a simple algorithm that counts opening and closing delimiters to scan past nested delimited spans." (progn (goto-char position) ;; move to the starting position before scanning. (funcall seek-bounds) (cond ((funcall open-bound-p) (bounds-scan seek-bounds open-bound-p close-bound-p restart-position (funcall restart-position) (+ level 1))) ((funcall close-bound-p) (if (> level 0) ;; when we have a positive level to start with ;; scan again with a decremented level. (bounds-scan seek-bounds open-bound-p close-bound-p restart-position (funcall restart-position) (- level 1)) ;; return point as we are done (point) )) ;; error ? ))) (defun bounds-scan-forward ( delimiters position ) "entry point for bounds-scan forward. given delimiters: a string containing a pair of delimiting characters, which must be in \"open close\" order, scan forward for the bounding delimiter returning the position before the delimiter" (lexical-let ((open-delimiter (aref delimiters 0)) (close-delimiter (aref delimiters 1))) (bounds-scan (lambda () (skip-chars-forward (concat "^" delimiters))) (lambda () (char-equal open-delimiter (char-after))) (lambda () (char-equal close-delimiter (char-after))) (lambda () (+ (point) 1)) position 0))) (defun bounds-scan-backward ( delimiters position) "entry point for bounds-scan backward. given delimiters: a string containing a pair of delimiting characters, which must be in \"open close\" order, scan backward for the bounding delimiter returning the position after the delimiter" (lexical-let ;; note the inversion of the order since we are looking backwards ((open-delimiter (aref delimiters 1)) (close-delimiter (aref delimiters 0))) (bounds-scan (lambda () (skip-chars-backward (concat "^" delimiters))) (lambda () (char-equal open-delimiter (char-before))) (lambda () (char-equal close-delimiter (char-before))) (lambda () (- (point) 1)) position 0))) (defun scan-lisp-list-close () "wrapper for bounds-scan that searches for the closing delimiter of a lisp list" (let* ((start-at (point)) (close-at (bounds-scan-forward "()" start-at))) (if (> close-at start-at) (- close-at 1) start-at) )) (defun scan-lisp-list-open () "wrapper for bounds-scan that searches for the opening delimiter of a lisp list" (let* ((start-at (point)) (open-at (bounds-scan-backward "()" start-at))) (if (< open-at start-at) (+ open-at 1) start-at) )) (defun lisp-list-delete-body () "delete the body of a lisp list including any nested lists" (interactive) (let ((open-pos (scan-lisp-list-open)) (close-pos (scan-lisp-list-close))) (delete-backward-char (- close-pos open-pos)))) ;;----- end of elisp Cheers, Mike Mattie