all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Text-Mode for a beginner
@ 2007-10-30  3:29 John O'Connor
From: John O'Connor @ 2007-10-30  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Apologies if my question is of insufficiently cosmic importance. I am
trying to figure out how to make Emacs behave more like a modern editor
in its handling of paragraphs. What I mean by that is that I want to be
able to (as I do in, say, OpenOffice) type an entire paragraph without
having to put a newline at the end of every line. I know that
auto-fill-mode accomplishes this somewhat, but it has the unfortunate
side effect of inserting newlines everywhere, and when I paste my text
into OOo the line lengths will not conform to the width of the page. I
could just learn to live with the poor word wrap in the fundamental
mode, but then it's difficult to C-p or C-n through the paragraphs. Is
there a modern-text-mode or something like that? Thanks very much for
your help.

-Jack O'Connor

* Re: Text-Mode for a beginner
@ 2007-10-30 10:15 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2758.1193756049.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.2752.1193745701.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-30 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John O'Connor; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 30.10.2007 um 04:29 schrieb John O'Connor:

> Apologies if my question is of insufficiently cosmic importance.

Do you know the difference between a proportional spaced and a
monospaced font? For the former the length of a line in some text
editor has no meaning at all ...

You can set set fill-column to a large value, 99999 for example. Then
line-breaks are most probably prevented (first break near column
99999). You can use local variables in that buffer like here:

	% Local Variables:
	% mode: LaTeX
	% fill-column: 160
	% coding: iso-latin-9
	% End:

Text fill (fill-paragraph, M-q) tries to balance a paragraph's text
in the window. This has nothing to do with text processing as for
example in (La)TeX. It just gives your eyes some candy.

(What is a "modern editor" and its behaviour in your belief? Do you
understand that WYSIWYG and GNU Emacs are diametrically different
concepts?)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Behold the warranty ... the bold print giveth and the fine print
taketh away.

* Re: Text-Mode for a beginner
@ 2007-10-30 12:02 ` Andreas Röhler
       [not found] ` <mailman.2752.1193745701.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2007-10-30 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Dienstag, 30. Oktober 2007 04:29 schrieb John O'Connor:
> Apologies if my question is of insufficiently cosmic importance. I am
> trying to figure out how to make Emacs behave more like a modern editor
> in its handling of paragraphs. What I mean by that is that I want to be
> able to (as I do in, say, OpenOffice) type an entire paragraph without
> having to put a newline at the end of every line. I know that
> auto-fill-mode accomplishes this somewhat, but it has the unfortunate
> side effect of inserting newlines everywhere, and when I paste my text
> into OOo the line lengths will not conform to the width of the page.

call `mark-whole-buffer' and `unfill-region' before
copying.

Andreas Röhler
> could just learn to live with the poor word wrap in the fundamental
> mode, but then it's difficult to C-p or C-n through the paragraphs. Is
> there a modern-text-mode or something like that?

text-mode (?)
> Thanks very much for
> your help.
>
> -Jack O'Connor

* RE: Text-Mode for a beginner
@ 2007-10-30 14:52   ` Drew Adams
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2758.1193756049.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-10-30 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa, John O'Connor; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > type an entire paragraph without having to put a newline
> > at the end of every line.

M-x longlines-mode

,----

`----

> Do you understand that WYSIWYG and GNU Emacs are diametrically
> different concepts?

No.

GNU Emacs contains the universe, including WYSIWYG.

* Re: Text-Mode for a beginner
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2758.1193756049.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-11-05 10:57     ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2007-11-05 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah Lee has some stuff on mapping emacs to modern usage habits
eg.
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_html.html
http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization.html

I learnt about long-lines from there. You may also want to look at cua-
mode

* Re: Text-Mode for a beginner
       [not found] ` <mailman.2752.1193745701.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-11-23  1:53   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2007-11-23  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.2752.1193745701.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Andreas Röhler  <andreas.roehler@online.de> wrote:
>Am Dienstag, 30. Oktober 2007 04:29 schrieb John O'Connor:
>> Apologies if my question is of insufficiently cosmic importance. I am
>> trying to figure out how to make Emacs behave more like a modern editor
>> in its handling of paragraphs. What I mean by that is that I want to be
>> able to (as I do in, say, OpenOffice) type an entire paragraph without
>> having to put a newline at the end of every line. I know that
>> auto-fill-mode accomplishes this somewhat, but it has the unfortunate
>> side effect of inserting newlines everywhere, and when I paste my text
>> into OOo the line lengths will not conform to the width of the page.
>

>call `mark-whole-buffer' and `unfill-region' before
>copying.

What is "unfill-region"?

Is not in my emacs (M-x version: 21.3.2).

If found and defined, Would it *work* in my emacs?

Thanks,

David

* Re: Text-Mode for a beginner
@ 2007-11-23 10:06     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-11-23 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Combs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.11.2007 um 02:53 schrieb David Combs:

> What is "unfill-region"?
>
> Is not in my emacs (M-x version: 21.3.2).

Neither in GNU Emacs 23.0.50 or 23.0.60 ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

To drink without thirst and to make love all the time, madam, it is
only these which distinguish us from the other beasts.  — Beaumarchais