all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GNU - XEmacs compatibility
@ 2007-09-29  8:31 Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2007-09-29  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

As GNU - XEmacs compatibility is a common issue
when writing Emacs programs,
I'm sure a lot of people wrote translators, test-suites
and that kind of stuff for it.

Would appreciate to see this, even snippets.

Thanks!

Andreas Röhler

* Re: GNU - XEmacs compatibility
@ 2007-09-29 16:10 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2007-09-29 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas> As GNU - XEmacs compatibility is a common issue
Andreas> when writing Emacs programs,
Andreas> I'm sure a lot of people wrote translators, test-suites
Andreas> and that kind of stuff for it.

Andreas> Would appreciate to see this, even snippets.

Most programs I know of use some ad hoc method.

However, there is also APEL, "A Portable Emacs Library":

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/APortableEmacsLibrary

Tom

* Re: GNU - XEmacs compatibility
       [not found] <mailman.1463.1191054658.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-10-10 15:49 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-10-10 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> As GNU - XEmacs compatibility is a common issue

You mean "Emacs - XEmacs", right?
Because AFAIK, the other one is called just "XEmacs", not "XEmacs Emacs".

> when writing Emacs programs, I'm sure a lot of people wrote translators,
> test-suites and that kind of stuff for it.

Why write them when the web does it for you.

> Would appreciate to see this, even snippets.

Just write your package for whichever variant you care about, and then post
it to gnu.emacs.sources and/or emacswiki and then something magic happens
and people send you patches to add support for the other flavors.

        Stefan

PS: Yes, I know people tend to first ask for that support rather than send
patches, but if you wait long enough, the patches will come.  If they don't,
it's a pretty clear sign that nobody cares enough about it, so your effort
would have been wasted anyway.

* Re: GNU - XEmacs compatibility
@ 2007-10-10 17:15   ` Martin Rubey
From: Martin Rubey @ 2007-10-10 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> PS: Yes, I know people tend to first ask for that support rather than send
> patches, but if you wait long enough, the patches will come.  If they don't,
> it's a pretty clear sign that nobody cares enough about it, so your effort
> would have been wasted anyway.

This is not necesarily the case.  I wrote a major mode for axiom for gnu emacs,
and I know of one axiom developer who would like to use it, but he is bound to
xemacs.  I found it already difficult enough to get it working for gnus emacs,
and definitively don't want to take the time to port it to xemacs, at least not
on my own.

I guess at some point it will happen, but I suspect that for people in the know
it would be a matter of a few hours.

Martin