Nate Eldredge (cc'd) reported a bug in emacs-22.1 when checking out (C-x v v) an LaTeX file from RCS (exact recipe below); namely, getting (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil) There seem to be two problems, one in latexenc.el and one somewhere in VC. The first is just a matter of defensive programming. Nate tracked down the error to the call of coding-system-base near the end of lisp/international/latexenc.el: (coding-system-base ;Disregard the EOL part of the CS. (with-current-buffer latexenc-main-buffer (or coding-system-for-write buffer-file-coding-system)))) Both coding-system-for-write and buffer-file-coding-system are nil, and thus coding-system-base throws the error. It seems it would be desirable to avoid the call and hence the error in this case -- if I take out the call, for testing, everything goes through fine. Or else to change coding-system-base to be a no-op if its arg is nil. I don't know which would be better. The second question is why both those variables are nil in the first place. After visiting the file, but before running CTRL-x v v, buffer-file-coding-system is undecided-unix. So somewhere within vc-next-action it got set to nil. I could not find where. (Aside: too bad edebug doesn't have watchpoints.) Help? coding-system-for-write is always nil in this scenario, so it's not a factor. Thanks for any help, and to Nate for his sleuthing. Karl Here is the recipe to reproduce the error; put the attached template.tex,v file in the current directory first. $ co template.tex # with co -l, the error does not happen $ emacs-22.1 -Q template.tex CTRL-x v v (observe arrayp error)