all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* 23.0.50; Unable to launch emacsclient from shell buffers:
@ 2007-09-14  5:28 raman
From: raman @ 2007-09-14  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

One can no longer launch emacsclient from shell buffers, if you
do you get the folllowing error:

emacsclient foo
*ERROR*: Terminal type "dumb" is not powerful enough to run Emacs
22:26:39 labrador ~ $

This is a problem because programs like cvs and svn that use
emacsclient  as their editor can no longer be launched from
inside an Emacs shell buffer.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.50.13 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20)
 of 2007-09-12 on labrador
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr/local' '--with-gtk' '--with-gpm' '--with-rsvg' '--with-png' '--with-jpeg' '--with-gif''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: nil

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  jabber-activity-mode: t
  dynamic-completion-mode: t
  dired-omit-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x RET m i n i TAB RET C-e m C-e m C-s a d d e ESC
m ESC f C-e ESC [ B C-e d v C-e ESC [ B C-e ESC [ B
C-e ESC [ B C-e ESC [ B C-e ESC [ B C-e ESC [ B C-e
ESC [ B C-e ESC [ B q ESC > a m f SPC 8 0 RET C-e t
a m f SPC 1 ESC DEL a m l SPC 1 0 0 RET C-e t a m l
SPC 2 2 5 RET C-e t ESC > m a k e RET C-e t ESC > ESC
x l o a d SPC l i RET a m i x e r RET C-e a C-e ( RET
C-x @ h s a m f SPC 8 0 RET C-e t ESC > c d RET C-h
RET e m a c s c l i e n t RET C-x o C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-x @ h
C-g C-g C-n C-x @ h s c d RET e m a c s l DEL ESC DEL
e m a c s c l i e n t SPC f o o RET C-p C-e e C-@ C-p
ESC m C-@ ESC > ESC w ESC x r e p o TAB r TAB e DEL
DEL TAB b TAB RET

Recent messages:
Invoking man emacsclient in the background
Please wait: formatting the emacsclient man page...
emacsclient man page formatted
Quit
~
widget-value: Wrong type argument: consp, output
region containing 3 lines  copied to kill ring
Making completion list...

Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: 23.0.50; Unable to launch emacsclient from shell buffers:
@ 2007-09-14 16:37 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-09-14 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

raman <raman@users.sf.net> writes:

  > One can no longer launch emacsclient from shell buffers, if you
  > do you get the folllowing error:
  >
  > emacsclient foo
  > *ERROR*: Terminal type "dumb" is not powerful enough to run Emacs
  > 22:26:39 labrador ~ $

This sounds like DISPLAY is not set. What is the output of:

echo $DISPLAY

I cannot reproduce your problem on my machine.

* Re: 23.0.50; Unable to launch emacsclient from shell buffers:
@ 2007-09-15 19:04   ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2007-09-15 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dann; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, raman

This is while running outside X at the linux console.

--

@ 2007-09-17  4:13     ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-09-17  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

"T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

  > This is while running outside X at the linux console.

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do.

Please confirm that this is what you are trying to do:
run emacs on a linux console
run M-x shell in emacs
run emacsclient from the shell buffer.

If this is the situation, what do you expect emacsclient to do in this
case?

@ 2007-09-17 11:14       ` Bash Shell Account
From: Bash Shell Account @ 2007-09-17 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman, emacs-pretest-bug

T. V. Raman's problem only occurs some of the time.

Today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Mon, 2007 Sep 17  10:17 UTC,
GNU Emacs 23.0.50.13 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.13)
In Debian testing and for X,  Enlightenment window manager.

Dan Nicolaescu writes,

    Please confirm that this is what you are trying to do:
    run emacs on a linux console
    run M-x shell in emacs
    run emacsclient from the shell buffer.

    If this is the situation, what do you expect emacsclient to do in this
    case?

I am running from an instance of Emacs started in a console.  From
BASH, after starting Emacs and running M-x server-start, I am able to:

    emacsclient --display=localhost:0.0

(That is the frame I am sending this message from.)

But when I try as another user that starts an instance of Emacs
immediately, when I log in the account starts Emacs but I receive the
same error message as T. V. Raman.

That is to say, for the failure my /etc/passwd file looks like this,

    emacs:x:1012:1012:Emacs Account that starts Emacs,,,:/home/emacs:/home/emacs/start-emacs

but for the success, it says

    bash:x:1013:1013:Bash Shell Account,,,:/home/bash:/bin/bash

In the success, I run `/home/emacs/start-emacs', which is a shell
script that says

    #!/bin/sh

    /usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs -q  -l ~bob/.emacs-21-load-path -l ~bob/.emacs-21  --eval '(emacs-version t)' -bg DodgerBlue4 -fg white -name 'Emacs current'

That is the same `/home/emacs/start-emacs' file as when I start Emacs
by logging in, the `M-x shell' failure.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    bob@rattlesnake.com                         bob@gnu.org

* Re: 23.0.50; Unable to launch emacsclient from shell buffers:
@ 2007-09-17 13:34       ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2007-09-17 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dann; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, raman

Yes, You understand the situation correctly:

0)  I'm running Emacs on a Linux Virtual Console
1)  I'm running M-x shell
2) emacsclient when invoked from the shell should open a buffer
on the running emacs

Why this is needed:

Of course you'd never invoke emacsclient by hand like this --
you'd do find-file.

However other programs e.g. cvs or svn when committing a file
call emacsclient to edit the commit log.

At present emacsclient bombs when this happens, the older
behavior of emacsclient was to correctly hand off the buffer to
be opened by emacs.

Note that if you force the issue by doing (export TERM=vt100;
emacsclient foo)
then emacs itself locks up.

@ 2007-09-17 14:15         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-09-17 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, dann, raman

> At present emacsclient bombs when this happens, the older
> behavior of emacsclient was to correctly hand off the buffer to
> be opened by emacs.

> Note that if you force the issue by doing (export TERM=vt100;
> emacsclient foo)
> then emacs itself locks up.

You just want to pass the "-c" arg to emacsclient (this is a change of
default behvior.  I'm about to revert this default, so the "-c" is only
needed temporarily and after my change the "-c" will instead create the
problem (because my change will reverse its meaning)).

* Re: 23.0.50; Unable to launch emacsclient from shell buffers:
@ 2007-09-18  2:17           ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2007-09-18  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: dann, emacs-pretest-bug, raman, raman

Thanks!