Hi, We encountered a few minor issues building emacs-22.1 with GTK. On Solaris 2.6 there is no recursive mutex support. I worried about using pthread_getspecific/setspecific etc. to emulate recursive mutexes because it seemed likely that these would require a malloc, and the locks are around malloc hooks. Instead, since the only chance of recursive behavior seemed to be realloc calling malloc/free we copied the locking malloc and free functions, but removed the locks, and used those for realloc on systems without recursive mutexes. On HP-UX, emacs failed to build with GTK because hp-ux has, in its pthread.h: static int pthread_create( ..... And we have #define static, so it died with multiple definitions of pthread_create and pthread_attr_init. Removing the #define was not enough, we got segmentation faults until we also removed the -lpthread. AIX-4.3.3 failed to build because abs() was #defined multiple times, and a couple of enums ended with a comma. Failed to build on linux with gcc-2.95 because gtkutil.c has a variable declaration in the middle of a block. Patch attached. Thanks, Peter