all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs-22.1 under kubuntu 6.06
@ 2007-08-10  9:46 stephan.zimmer
From: stephan.zimmer @ 2007-08-10  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear all,

I just downloaded emacs-22.1 and build it (by hand) under kubuntu
6.06. Everything works fine, except that the menus of emacs look quite
ugly (like the menus of application using a very old X-version);
furhtermore the menubar has a black background color. Does anyone know
how to avoid this?

Thanks,
Stephan

* Re: emacs-22.1 under kubuntu 6.06
@ 2007-08-10 11:01 ` sunway
From: sunway @ 2007-08-10 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Maybe you should install 'libgtk2.0-dev' and rebuild emacs with 'configure --with-gtk...'

--
signature:
You will be attacked by a beast who has the body of a wolf, the tail of

* Re: emacs-22.1 under kubuntu 6.06
@ 2007-08-10 12:35   ` stephan.zimmer
From: stephan.zimmer @ 2007-08-10 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Maybe you should install 'libgtk2.0-dev' and rebuild emacs with 'configure --with-gtk...'

Thanks very much, now it works for the menus; but now there is a new
problem: the background in the buffer is grey, except on the regions
that are covered by text, there the background is white.

Does anyone has a solution?

@ 2007-08-10 13:12     ` sunway
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4807.1187175937.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: sunway @ 2007-08-10 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

try color-theme.el
--
signature:
I would rather say that a desire to drive fast sports cars is what sets

* Re: emacs-22.1 under kubuntu 6.06
@ 2007-08-10 13:36       ` stephan.zimmer
From: stephan.zimmer @ 2007-08-10 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> try color-theme.el
does not work properly (I load it via "load-library") and executed
several "color-scheme-..."; however the strange artefact did not move
away; it seems that there is some gtk problem

* Re: emacs-22.1 under kubuntu 6.06
@ 2007-08-10 13:55         ` stephan.zimmer
From: stephan.zimmer @ 2007-08-10 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

seems that i solved the problem: look at "http://ubuntuforums.org/
showpost.php?p=1539310&postcount=78"

* Re: emacs-22.1 under kubuntu 6.06
@ 2007-08-10 14:53     ` giglio robbo' d'acciaio
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4807.1187175937.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: giglio robbo' d'acciaio @ 2007-08-10 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

stephan.zimmer@googlemail.com writes:

>> Maybe you should install 'libgtk2.0-dev' and rebuild emacs with 'configure --with-gtk...'
>
> Thanks very much, now it works for the menus; but now there is a new
> problem: the background in the buffer is grey, except on the regions
> that are covered by text, there the background is white.
>
> Does anyone has a solution?

Maybe It's a known KDE issue. Go to KDE Kontrol Center and in appearence
sections look for an option that sounds like "Allow non KDE application
themes/colors" or something similar.

Good luck
--
     Daniele Giglio       Dona i tuoi cicli di clock alla ricerca!
     dgiglio(a)iol.it     http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

* Re: emacs-22.1 under kubuntu 6.06
@ 2007-08-12  1:47 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2007-08-12  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 02:46:50 -0700, stephan.zimmer@googlemail.com wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I just downloaded emacs-22.1 and build it (by hand) under kubuntu
> 6.06. Everything works fine, except that the menus of emacs look quite
> ugly (like the menus of application using a very old X-version);
> furhtermore the menubar has a black background color. Does anyone know
> how to avoid this?

You have probably built Emacs without Lucid widgets.  Emacs 22 can build
with GTK+ widgets too, but you will have to run the `configure' script
with the option `--with-gtk' or with the option `--with-x-toolkit=gtk'.

HTH,
Giorgos

* Re: emacs-22.1 under kubuntu 6.06
@ 2007-08-12  8:38   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-08-12  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.08.2007 um 03:47 schrieb Giorgos Keramidas:

> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 02:46:50 -0700, stephan.zimmer wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I just downloaded emacs-22.1 and build it (by hand) under kubuntu
>> 6.06. Everything works fine, except that the menus of emacs look
>> quite
>> ugly (like the menus of application using a very old X-version);
>> furhtermore the menubar has a black background color. Does anyone
>> know
>> how to avoid this?
>
> You have probably built Emacs without Lucid widgets.  Emacs 22 can
> build
> with GTK+ widgets too, but you will have to run the `configure' script
> with the option `--with-gtk' or with the option `--with-x-
> toolkit=gtk'.

According to my experience GTK+ is now preferred over Athena/Lucid or
Motif. It's just necessary that all the necessary development
packages are installed, which is not the regular case in Linux.
Configure's output shows when it fails, and config.log will explain why.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The mathematician who pursues his studies without clear views of this
matter, must often have the uncomfortable feeling that his paper and
pencil surpass him in intelligence.
                                            Ernst Mach

* Re: emacs-22.1 under kubuntu 6.06
@ 2007-08-12 22:58     ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2007-08-12 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2007-08-12 10:38, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:
>Am 12.08.2007 um 03:47 schrieb Giorgos Keramidas:
>> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 02:46:50 -0700, stephan.zimmer wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I just downloaded emacs-22.1 and build it (by hand) under kubuntu
>>> 6.06. Everything works fine, except that the menus of emacs look quite
>>> ugly (like the menus of application using a very old X-version);
>>> furhtermore the menubar has a black background color. Does anyone know
>>> how to avoid this?
>>
>> You have probably built Emacs without Lucid widgets.  Emacs 22 can build
>> with GTK+ widgets too, but you will have to run the `configure' script
>> with the option `--with-gtk' or with the option `--with-x-toolkit=gtk'.
>
> According to my experience GTK+ is now preferred over Athena/Lucid or
> Motif.  It's just necessary that all the necessary development
> packages are installed, which is not the regular case in Linux.
> Configure's output shows when it fails, and config.log will explain
> why.

You are right of course.  The default build of GNU Emacs will now prefer
GTK+ whenever possible.  I am not really experienced with the default
installation of the major GNU/Linux distributions (I only found out last
night that the default "base system" in Ubuntu does not include all the
necessary bits to compile programs, and one has to install a set of -dev
packages, for example).

Thanks for the clarification :-)

- Giorgos

@ 2007-08-15 13:33       ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-08-15 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

giglio robbo' d'acciaio <dgiglio@iol.it> writes:

> stephan.zimmer@googlemail.com writes:
>
>>> Maybe you should install 'libgtk2.0-dev' and rebuild emacs with 'configure --with-gtk...'
>>
>> Thanks very much, now it works for the menus; but now there is a new
>> problem: the background in the buffer is grey, except on the regions
>> that are covered by text, there the background is white.
>>
>> Does anyone has a solution?
>
> Maybe It's a known KDE issue. Go to KDE Kontrol Center and in appearence
> sections look for an option that sounds like "Allow non KDE application
> themes/colors" or something similar.

Hi I'm having trouble fetching the parent article.

I'm a KDE user (Slackware 12.0) and use Emacs with no trouble thanks to the GTK-QT
Theme Engine (http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=9714)
version 0.7.  With version 0.6 I had my QT background in Emacs, which
was the typical "default background" (usually grey) behind my default
face.  However, with the new version, I get full control of the
default background.  The theme engine also makes it easy to switch GTK
themes if I want to use a different desktop (e.g., Enlightenment)
temporarily.

Joel
--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

"It can be interesting to study ancient philosophy, but more as a kind
of accident report than to teach you anything useful."
                                        --Paul Graham
					http://www.paulgraham.com/raq.html