all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* font highlighting in emacs 22.1.1, os x build
@ 2007-07-13 13:47 Eric Johnson
From: Eric Johnson @ 2007-07-13 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

I built emacs 22.1.1 on OS X (ppc). I was excited to hear that I would
be able to run in both "aqua" mode and in console mode. However, font
highlighting is not consistent between the two. In particular, the
"aqua" mode seems to behave correctly (as per my experience with emacs
21.x), but console mode does not. It is sufficient to create a file
named test.c, containing the following contents:

/* this is a test */

In the "aqua" version, all of the text within the comment will be
colored to the appropriate comment color. However, in the console
version, only the /* and */ are colored to the comment color; the
remaining text is white.

I am excited to use the latest version of emacs; however, I mainly use
emacs from within the terminal. Consequently, I hope that a fix for
this problem is possible, as otherwise I will continue to use version
21.x.

Thanks,
Eric Johnson

* Re: font highlighting in emacs 22.1.1, os x build
@ 2007-07-13 23:09 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-07-13 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Johnson; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

This is a feature to make the comment text easier to read.

* Re: font highlighting in emacs 22.1.1, os x build
@ 2007-07-13 23:38 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-07-13 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Johnson; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

"Eric Johnson" <darrel.eric.johnson@gmail.com> writes:

  > I built emacs 22.1.1 on OS X (ppc). I was excited to hear that I would
  > be able to run in both "aqua" mode and in console mode. However, font
  > highlighting is not consistent between the two. In particular, the
  > "aqua" mode seems to behave correctly (as per my experience with emacs
  > 21.x), but console mode does not. It is sufficient to create a file
  > named test.c, containing the following contents:
  >
  > /* this is a test */
  >
  > In the "aqua" version, all of the text within the comment will be
  > colored to the appropriate comment color. However, in the console
  > version, only the /* and */ are colored to the comment color; the
  > remaining text is white.
  >
  > I am excited to use the latest version of emacs; however, I mainly use
  > emacs from within the terminal. Consequently, I hope that a fix for
  > this problem is possible, as otherwise I will continue to use version
  > 21.x.

This only happens if your terminal supports only 8 colors.

Ideally, if you had a terminal that supported 256 colors then the
syntax coloring difference for emacs running in a terminal and in
windowing mode is almost indistinguishable.

I am not sure about your platform, but for GNU/Linux most recent
terminals support 256 colors, you'd just need to set TERM to
xterm-256color.