all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* no prompt for Octave on Emacs for Windows
@ 2007-06-10  4:21 poti
From: poti @ 2007-06-10  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have tried to run the most recent version of Octave for Windows
with NTEmacs and EmacsW32. Octave runs fine in a cmd shell. In shell and
eshell it launches, but no prompt appears. I can type commands and I
get output, but no prompt. I believe this is what is breaking the run-octave
minor mode.

What files and functions are likely to be involved in handling such prompts?

* Re: no prompt for Octave on Emacs for Windows
@ 2007-06-10 18:36 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-06-10 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 00:21:56 -0400
> From: poti@potis.org
>
> I have tried to run the most recent version of Octave for Windows
> with NTEmacs and EmacsW32. Octave runs fine in a cmd shell. In shell and
> eshell it launches, but no prompt appears. I can type commands and I
> get output, but no prompt.

What kind of port is the Octave port you are using?  Is it by any
chance a Cygwin port?  There are known issues with running Cygwin
programs as subprocesses of a native Windows port of Emacs.

* Re: no prompt for Octave on Emacs for Windows
@ 2007-06-10 20:49   ` poti
From: poti @ 2007-06-10 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 21:36 Sun 10 Jun     , Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 00:21:56 -0400
> > From: poti@potis.org
> >
> > I have tried to run the most recent version of Octave for Windows
> > with NTEmacs and EmacsW32. Octave runs fine in a cmd shell. In shell and
> > eshell it launches, but no prompt appears. I can type commands and I
> > get output, but no prompt.
>
> What kind of port is the Octave port you are using?  Is it by any
> chance a Cygwin port?  There are known issues with running Cygwin
> programs as subprocesses of a native Windows port of Emacs.
It is not a Cygwin port. It is an MSVC port. See
http://www.dbateman.org/?page=octave&lang=EN
I will look closer at some of the Cygwin threads
to see if it might be related.

I have now also tried this with
GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE
(on which the graphics, by the way, have lost all their
color depth)
Thanks.
-Poti

* Re: no prompt for Octave on Emacs for Windows
@ 2007-06-20 18:18     ` poti
From: poti @ 2007-06-20 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, jwe

I posted in help-gnu-emacs that Octave was not working with Emacs as of the 22.1
release. I have since found a number of answers:

in shell or eshell all works well if the command issued is :
octave -i

This is the command that is issued in octave-ind.el.
However, octave-inf.el shipped with Emacs 22.1 and with Octave 2.9.12
did not work with Emacs because the string looked for in the  prompt
did not include ".exe".

This bug is fixed by adding "\\|.exe" to the definition of
inferior-octave-prompt, as it appears below:

(defcustom inferior-octave-prompt
  "Regexp to match prompts for the inferior Octave process."
  :type 'regexp
  :group 'octave-inferior)

see this post for a thread detailing how this was found and
containing requests to synchronize and consolidate Emacs and Octave
versions of the Octave mode files:

http://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2007-June/003342.html