all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* autocomplete idiosyncracies
@ 2007-06-06 16:49 xzqx
From: xzqx @ 2007-06-06 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Has anyone noticed that emacs sometimes behaves differently regarding
autocomplete? For instance, suppose I have a directory containing the
following files:

blah
blahblah
blah-blah
blah-1

If I C-x C-f and navigate to this directory, then hit space ONCE, I
see:

Find file: ~/etest/blah

If I hit space again, I see:

Find file: ~/etest/blah-

If I hit space again, I see that, plus the completions list: blah-1
and blah-blah. If I'm not thinking, sometimes I forget that files
called 'blah' and 'blahblah' even could exist.

Does anyone know if there is a way to tweak this behavior? Many
websearches have come up empty. Thanks in advance,

Anne

* Re: autocomplete idiosyncracies
@ 2007-06-06 20:09 ` poti
       [not found] ` <mailman.1681.1181160670.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: poti @ 2007-06-06 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 16:49 Wed 06 Jun     , xzqx wrote:
> Has anyone noticed that emacs sometimes behaves differently regarding
> autocomplete? For instance, suppose I have a directory containing the
> following files:
>
> blah
> blahblah
> blah-blah
> blah-1
>
> If I C-x C-f and navigate to this directory, then hit space ONCE, I
> see:
>
> Find file: ~/etest/blah
>
> If I hit space again, I see:
>
> Find file: ~/etest/blah-
>
> If I hit space again, I see that, plus the completions list: blah-1
> and blah-blah. If I'm not thinking, sometimes I forget that files
> called 'blah' and 'blahblah' even could exist.

What version of emacs are you using (M-x emacs-version)?
On GNU Emacs 21.4.2 (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
bars) of 2007-05-16, I cannot reproduce the problem.
However, on all recent Windows emacs versions, I have a similar
problem of garbled completions, especially using completion multiple
times on paths with spaces.

@ 2007-06-06 20:25   ` xzqx
From: xzqx @ 2007-06-06 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 6, 4:09 pm, p...@potis.org wrote:
> On 16:49 Wed 06 Jun     , xzqx wrote:
>

> > Has anyone noticed that emacs sometimes behaves differently regarding
> > autocomplete? For instance, suppose I have a directory containing the
> > following files:
>
> > blah
> > blahblah
> > blah-blah
> > blah-1
>
> > If I C-x C-f and navigate to this directory, then hit space ONCE, I
> > see:
>
> > Find file: ~/etest/blah
>
> > If I hit space again, I see:
>
> > Find file: ~/etest/blah-
>
> > If I hit space again, I see that, plus the completions list: blah-1
> > and blah-blah. If I'm not thinking, sometimes I forget that files
> > called 'blah' and 'blahblah' even could exist.
>
> What version of emacs are you using (M-x emacs-version)?
> On GNU Emacs 21.4.2 (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
> bars) of 2007-05-16, I cannot reproduce the problem.
> However, on all recent Windows emacs versions, I have a similar
> problem of garbled completions, especially using completion multiple
> times on paths with spaces.

Good question. I am using 21.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit).
Perhaps it is just a bug...

* Re: autocomplete idiosyncracies
@ 2007-06-06 21:07     ` poti
From: poti @ 2007-06-06 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> > What version of emacs are you using (M-x emacs-version)?
> > On GNU Emacs 21.4.2 (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
> > bars) of 2007-05-16, I cannot reproduce the problem.
> > However, on all recent Windows emacs versions, I have a similar
> > problem of garbled completions, especially using completion multiple
> > times on paths with spaces.
>
> Good question. I am using 21.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit).
> Perhaps it is just a bug...
I did not test your question closely enough. It turns out that
my GNU/Linux Emacs versions behave the same way as yours.
I also have GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, Motif Version 2.2.3) of
2006-09-09.

@ 2007-06-08  9:19   ` xzqx
From: xzqx @ 2007-06-08  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2007-06-08  9:20   ` xzqx
From: xzqx @ 2007-06-08  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2007-06-08 14:38 ` Kai Grossjohann
       [not found] ` <mailman.1782.1181316023.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2007-06-08 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

It may work better to use TAB instead of SPC.

Kai

@ 2007-06-08 16:26   ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-06-08 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> It may work better to use TAB instead of SPC.

Definitely: TAB and SPC work differently --- I believe TAB completes
just like bash, and SPC completes over breaks in words (dashes).

To find the functions and variables related to any concept, do "M-x
apropos RET regexp" and it will show you all the documentation it can
find.

For super-duper filename completion, check out the Icicles package at
www.emacswiki.org.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

* Re: autocomplete idiosyncracies
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.1782.1181316023.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-12 14:03 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-06-12 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> If I hit space again, I see that, plus the completions list: blah-1
> and blah-blah. If I'm not thinking, sometimes I forget that files
> called 'blah' and 'blahblah' even could exist.

Luckily for you this problem has disappeared in Emacs-22 since SPC does not
do completion on filenames any more in that release.  This way you'll have
to get used to using TAB (which works much more predictably) as god intended.