all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Ispell and Swiss specialities
@ 2007-05-12 13:19 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-05-12 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Emacs-Users

I have quite a special problem. And I don't know if it can be solved
by Emacs configuration possibilities at all.

I'm living and writing in Switzerland where our orthography (as well
as computer keyboards) don't know about the German letter ß (sz). We
always use ss instead.

This is a problem in Flyspell, since all words containing ss instead
of the German ß are marked as incorrect. I'm using the geman-new8
dictionary on a Debian Etch machine. There seems to be no special dictionary
for Swiss German rules of orthography.

Does anybody know an Emacs hack that makes ss and ß be treated as equal
alternatives in Flyspell?

Thanks for help,
Sven

* Re: Ispell and Swiss specialities
@ 2007-05-12 13:41 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-05-12 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.05.2007 um 15:19 schrieb Sven Bretfeld:

> Does anybody know an Emacs hack that makes ss and ß be treated as
> equal
> alternatives in Flyspell?

I cannot offer this, but have you checked aspell? It has Swiss
dictionaries for French in its fr package and de_CH-only.rws in its
de package. I think the ``only´´ component in the file's name means
that it contains *only* Swiss specialties, so the proper approach
might be to add this dictionary to the deutsch.alias and the
deutsch.multi files (and possibly the latter allows to spell-check in
more than one language, but I am not *the* aspell expert ...).

OTOH, I also know that you can create (make swiss) a Swiss ispell
dictionary from the sources of the German dictionary (http://j3e.de/
ispell/igerman98/dict/, http://j3e.de/ispell/hk2/, http://membled.com/
work/patches/ispell/, http://fmg-www.cs.ucla.edu/geoff/ispell.html).
Some Linux versions already offer such a dictionary.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the
impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

* Re: Ispell and Swiss specialities
@ 2007-05-12 15:05 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-05-12 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 15:19:08 +0200
> From: Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch>
>
> I'm using the geman-new8 dictionary on a Debian Etch machine. There
> seems to be no special dictionary for Swiss German rules of
> orthography.

Yes, there is a special Swiss dictionary, including on Debian.  Look
here:

  http://packages.debian.org/unstable/virtual/ispell-dictionary

* Re: Ispell and Swiss specialities
@ 2007-05-12 16:38   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-05-12 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Eli

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 06:05:55PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > I'm using the geman-new8 dictionary on a Debian Etch machine. There
> > seems to be no special dictionary for Swiss German rules of
> > orthography.

Indeed. I'm sorry, I have overlooked it. Thanks a lot.

Sven