all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs (in console) on 2 screens.
@ 2007-05-11 13:15 Martin
From: Martin @ 2007-05-11 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am using emacs (not XEmacs!) in a console.
Since I have 2 screens (Xinerama, Gnome, Debian) I want to use emacs
on both screens.
Up til now I always use two independent consoles with two indendent
emacs sessions.
But since they are independent I always have problems when I open a
file in both emacs sessions:
Emacs notices that somebody else is changing the file and asks me if I
want to steal the file.
Is there an easy way to get the console stretch over the 2 screens or
a way to tell the emacs-sessions that they should react as if they
would be seperated views, not seperated applications?

Thanks in advance

Martin

* Re: Emacs (in console) on 2 screens.
@ 2007-05-11 14:14 ` weber
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: weber @ 2007-05-11 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 11 maio, 10:15, Martin <m.ger...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using emacs (not XEmacs!) in a console.
> Since I have 2 screens (Xinerama, Gnome, Debian) I want to use emacs
> on both screens.
> Up til now I always use two independent consoles with two indendent
> emacs sessions.
> But since they are independent I always have problems when I open a
> file in both emacs sessions:
> Emacs notices that somebody else is changing the file and asks me if I
> want to steal the file.
> Is there an easy way to get the console stretch over the 2 screens or
> a way to tell the emacs-sessions that they should react as if they
> would be seperated views, not seperated applications?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Martin

Maybe instead of two-sessions try a M-x new-frame (new window) ?
Hope this helps,
weber

* Re: Emacs (in console) on 2 screens.
@ 2007-05-11 14:29   ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2007-05-11 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The thing is, that I want to work fullscreen with 1 frame on the left
screen and fullscreen 1 frame on the right screen.
I can make that happen with 1 console that I stretch (manually) over 2
screens.
Anyhow, this is sub-optimal as I have 2 different resolutions on the 2
screens and it's just a nasty workaround.
The M-x new-frame doesn't help there.

Martin

* Re: Emacs (in console) on 2 screens.
@ 2007-05-11 16:31     ` Chris McMahan
       [not found]       ` <mailman.531.1178911370.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chris McMahan @ 2007-05-11 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I don't understand what you need, then. M-x new-frame creates an
entirely new window that can be resized or enlarged to your heart's
content to any resolution you need.

- Chris

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

* Re: Emacs (in console) on 2 screens.
@ 2007-05-11 19:11       ` Maciej Katafiasz
       [not found]       ` <mailman.531.1178911370.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Maciej Katafiasz @ 2007-05-11 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Den Fri, 11 May 2007 12:31:04 -0400 skrev Chris McMahan:

> I don't understand what you need, then. M-x new-frame creates an
> entirely new window that can be resized or enlarged to your heart's
> content to any resolution you need.

He's not using emacs-in-X, so creating a new frame is meaningless in this
case. For that to work, you would need the multi-tty branch I believe. As
I have never used it myself, I can't offer any further advice.

Alternatively, Martin, consider using proper X version of emacs, ie. run
without -nw. This will allow you to create and place multiple frames
independently, exactly in the way you want them.

Cheers,
Maciej

* Re: Emacs (in console) on 2 screens.
@ 2007-05-11 21:42     ` David Kastrup
       [not found]     ` <mailman.557.1178969934.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-05-11 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Martin <m.gercke@gmail.com> writes:

> The thing is, that I want to work fullscreen with 1 frame on the left
> screen and fullscreen 1 frame on the right screen.
> I can make that happen with 1 console that I stretch (manually) over 2
> screens.
> Anyhow, this is sub-optimal as I have 2 different resolutions on the 2
> screens and it's just a nasty workaround.
> The M-x new-frame doesn't help there.

M-x make-frame-on-display RET

* Re: Emacs (in console) on 2 screens.
@ 2007-05-11 22:04 ` Peter Dyballa
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-05-11 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.05.2007 um 15:15 schrieb Martin:

> Is there an easy way to get the console stretch over the 2 screens or
> a way to tell the emacs-sessions that they should react as if they
> would be seperated views, not seperated applications?

Make the console sticky, i.e. appear on both screens!

--
Greetings

   Pete

"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then
the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."
                                  -- Weinberg's Second Law

* Re: Emacs (in console) on 2 screens.
@ 2007-05-11 23:08 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2007-05-11 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Martin <m.gercke@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am using emacs (not XEmacs!) in a console.
> Since I have 2 screens (Xinerama, Gnome, Debian) I want to use emacs
> on both screens.
> Up til now I always use two independent consoles with two indendent
> emacs sessions.
> But since they are independent I always have problems when I open a
> file in both emacs sessions:
> Emacs notices that somebody else is changing the file and asks me if I
> want to steal the file.
> Is there an easy way to get the console stretch over the 2 screens or
> a way to tell the emacs-sessions that they should react as if they
> would be seperated views, not seperated applications?

If you use X (eg with Gnome), then just use make-frame to make a new X
window and move it over to the other screen.

If each  monitor is managed by different X servers, then you can use
make-frame-on-display (works well when the different X servers are on
different computers too! ;-))

Technically, a X server running on the video-card of a PC is running
on the "console" of that computer, but we usually don't call it
"console", reserving the term for the character terminal emulation
running in the other virtual consoles.

So if you're running emacs on the linux console terminal, in character
mode, then you will need to use the multi-tty branch of emacs, which
allows to hook the same emacs instance to two terminals like
make-frame-on-display does with two X servers.

This is a signature virus.  Add me to your signature and help me to live.

* Re: Emacs (in console) on 2 screens.
@ 2007-05-12  9:06         ` George Katsitadze
From: George Katsitadze @ 2007-05-12  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 07:11:48PM +0000, Maciej Katafiasz wrote:
> Den Fri, 11 May 2007 12:31:04 -0400 skrev Chris McMahan:
>
> > I don't understand what you need, then. M-x new-frame creates an
> > entirely new window that can be resized or enlarged to your heart's
> > content to any resolution you need.
>
> He's not using emacs-in-X, so creating a new frame is meaningless in this
> case. For that to work, you would need the multi-tty branch I believe.

Another way is to use screen on both consoles (the second
session is attached to the first one by running screen -x).

Cheers,
George

* Re: Emacs (in console) on 2 screens.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-05-12  9:30 ` Martin Barth
From: Martin Barth @ 2007-05-12  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hi

i am quite new to emacs has an emacs server and emacsclient, maybe that
helps??

Martin

* Re: Emacs (in console) on 2 screens.
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-05-12 10:11 ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-05-12 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Martin

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 06:15:36AM -0700, Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using emacs (not XEmacs!) in a console.
> Since I have 2 screens (Xinerama, Gnome, Debian) I want to use emacs
> on both screens.
> Up til now I always use two independent consoles with two indendent
> emacs sessions.

What about using one console that you strech all across both screens,
start one emacs session and split the window vertically exactly in the
middle?

Bye,
Sven

* Re: Emacs (in console) on 2 screens.
@ 2007-05-12 10:18     ` Xavier Maillard
       [not found]     ` <mailman.557.1178969934.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-05-12 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

   The M-x new-frame doesn't help there.

IMO, your best bet is to use multi-tty branch and load up a few
GNU Emacs servers and attaching onto it using the emacsclient
supplied by this project.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Emacs (in console) on 2 screens.
@ 2007-05-12 10:47           ` Maciej Katafiasz
From: Maciej Katafiasz @ 2007-05-12 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Den Sat, 12 May 2007 12:06:08 +0300 skrev George Katsitadze:

>> > I don't understand what you need, then. M-x new-frame creates an
>> > entirely new window that can be resized or enlarged to your heart's
>> > content to any resolution you need.
>>
>> He's not using emacs-in-X, so creating a new frame is meaningless in this
>> case. For that to work, you would need the multi-tty branch I believe.
>
> Another way is to use screen on both consoles (the second
> session is attached to the first one by running screen -x).

But that doesn't allow you to have two separate frames visible in those
sessions, does it? Emacs in non-multi-tty branch can only present one
frame at a time when using a terminal, so whilst you will have it on both
screens, they will be showing the same thing, which is not terribly useful.

Cheers,
Maciej

* Re: Emacs (in console) on 2 screens.
@ 2007-05-12 11:43             ` George Katsitadze
From: George Katsitadze @ 2007-05-12 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej Katafiasz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 10:47:02AM +0000, Maciej Katafiasz wrote:
> Den Sat, 12 May 2007 12:06:08 +0300 skrev George Katsitadze:
> > Another way is to use screen on both consoles (the second
> > session is attached to the first one by running screen -x).
>
> But that doesn't allow you to have two separate frames visible in those
> sessions, does it? Emacs in non-multi-tty branch can only present one
> frame at a time when using a terminal, so whilst you will have it on both
> screens, they will be showing the same thing, which is not terribly useful.
>
> Cheers,
> Maciej

You're right, I misunderstood the original author's problem.

Cheers,
George

@ 2007-05-12 12:29       ` David Kastrup
       [not found]         ` <mailman.561.1178973861.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-05-12 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
>    The M-x new-frame doesn't help there.
>
> IMO, your best bet is to use multi-tty branch and load up a few
> GNU Emacs servers and attaching onto it using the emacsclient
> supplied by this project.

Uh, what's wrong with M-x make-frame-on-display RET ?

* Re: Emacs (in console) on 2 screens.
@ 2007-05-12 12:36         ` Maciej Katafiasz
       [not found]         ` <mailman.561.1178973861.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Maciej Katafiasz @ 2007-05-12 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Den Sat, 12 May 2007 14:29:23 +0200 skrev David Kastrup:

> Uh, what's wrong with M-x make-frame-on-display RET ?

OP is not using emacs-in-X (though he should, really).

Cheers,
Maciej

@ 2007-05-12 12:43           ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-05-12 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Maciej Katafiasz <mathrick@gmail.com> writes:

> Den Sat, 12 May 2007 14:29:23 +0200 skrev David Kastrup:
>
>> Uh, what's wrong with M-x make-frame-on-display RET ?
>
> OP is not using emacs-in-X (though he should, really).

Uh, well, yes, this would not make my tip work particularly well...

@ 2007-05-14  9:49           ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2007-05-14  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> OP is not using emacs-in-X (though he should, really).

It works with two windows now in X ... somehow I could run emacs, but
it was always running in a console.
Now as a default when I run emacs it runs in X and only if I type
emacs -nw it runs on the console.
I solved the problem by looking at my Synaptic package manager and
installed emacs (again).

Thanks for the help

@ 2007-05-14  9:50         ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2007-05-14  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2007-05-17  8:54           ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-05-17  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Martin <m.gercke@gmail.com> writes:

>> Alternatively, Martin, consider using proper X version of emacs, ie. run
>> without -nw. This will allow you to create and place multiple frames
>> independently, exactly in the way you want them.
>
> It works with two windows now in X ... somehow I could run emacs, but
> it was always running in a console.
> Now as a default when I run emacs it runs in X and only if I type
> emacs -nw it runs on the console.
> I solved the problem by looking at my Synaptic package manager and
> installed emacs (again).
>
> Thanks for the help

Note that the 'official' debian packages for emacs have two versions emacs21
and emacs21-nox. I suspect you had the 'nox' version installed before. this
would explain why you didn't get X support previously.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au