all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: how to change buffer like in visual studio, ultraedit etc (like Alt-Tab in windows but for buffers)?
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 01:03:00 +0300	[thread overview]

On 5 May 2007 23:53:56 -0700
mopi <52hands@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have tried some of the buffer switchers out there and while some
> have neat stuff like regexp switching I just want it to work like in
> visual studio or ultraedit.
>
> I.e. keeping Ctrl pressed while pressing Tab repeatedly cycles between
> the open buffers (preferably in order of last usage). C-S-tab cycles
> the reverse order. Pressing C-tab only one time switches to the last
> viewed buffer.

Have a look at tabbar.el I got it from
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/TabBarMode

Not completely what you want since it doesn't go by usage order though.

I set it up with:

;; enable the tabbar
(require 'tabbar)
;; show only non-scratch buffers
(setq tabbar-buffer-list-function
   (lambda ()
      (remove-if
          (lambda(buffer)
          (find (aref (buffer-name buffer) 0) " *")) (buffer-list))))
(tabbar-mode)

(global-set-key [(control f10)] 'tabbar-local-mode)
(global-set-key [(C-S-iso-lefttab)] 'tabbar-backward-tab)
(global-set-key [(C-tab)]       'tabbar-forward-tab)
(global-set-key [(C-M-S-iso-lefttab)] 'tabbar-backward-group)
(global-set-key [(C-M-tab)]       'tabbar-forward-group)