all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Incompatibility of CC mode
@ 2007-04-04 14:02 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-04-04 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-cc-mode; +Cc: emacs-devel

Is there any good reason for this incompatibility?
If not, let's get rid of it.

To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
From: Paul Curry <dashteacup@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 15:46:32 -0500
Subject: c-subword-mode - inconsistent behavior

The functions c-capitalize-subword, c-downcase-subword, c-upcase-subword
claim to behave like their normal emacs counterparts, but all three
functions move the point when given a negative argument.  Furthermore,
c-capitalize-subword doesn't even work with a negative argument on my
machine.  I changed the functions to better mimic the behavior of
capitalize/downcase/upcase/-word: they no longer move point with a
negative
argument.

Here's my code:

(defun c-capitalize-subword (arg)
   "Do the same as `capitalize-word' but on subwords.
See the command `c-subword-mode' for a description of subwords.
Optional argument ARG is the same as for `capitalize-word'."
   (interactive "p")
   (let ((count (abs arg))
         (start (point)))
     (dotimes (i count)
       (when (if (< arg 0)
                 (re-search-backward
                  (concat "\\<[" c-alpha "]")
                  nil t)
               (re-search-forward
                (concat "[" c-alpha "]")
                nil t))
	(goto-char (match-beginning 0)))
       (let* ((p (point))
              (pp (1+ p))
	     (np (c-forward-subword)))
	(upcase-region p pp)
	(downcase-region pp np)
	(if (< arg 0)
             (c-backward-subword)
           (goto-char np))))
     (if (< arg 0) (goto-char start))))

(defun c-downcase-subword (arg)
   "Do the same as `downcase-word' but on subwords.
See the command `c-subword-mode' for a description of subwords.
Optional argument ARG is the same as for `downcase-word'."
   (interactive "p")
   (let ((start (point)))
     (downcase-region (point) (c-forward-subword arg))
     (if (< arg 0) (goto-char start))))

(defun c-upcase-subword (arg)
   "Do the same as `upcase-word' but on subwords.
See the command `c-subword-mode' for a description of subwords.
Optional argument ARG is the same as for `upcase-word'."
   (interactive "p")
   (let ((start (point)))
     (upcase-region (point) (c-forward-subword arg))
     (if (< arg 0) (goto-char start))))

* Re: Incompatibility of CC mode
@ 2007-04-04 14:17 ` Masatake YAMATO
From: Masatake YAMATO @ 2007-04-04 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: bug-cc-mode, emacs-devel

> Is there any good reason for this incompatibility?
> If not, let's get rid of it.

> To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> From: Paul Curry <dashteacup@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 15:46:32 -0500
> Subject: c-subword-mode - inconsistent behavior
>
> The functions c-capitalize-subword, c-downcase-subword, c-upcase-subword
> claim to behave like their normal emacs counterparts, but all three
> functions move the point when given a negative argument.  Furthermore,
> c-capitalize-subword doesn't even work with a negative argument on my
> machine.  I changed the functions to better mimic the behavior of
> capitalize/downcase/upcase/-word: they no longer move point with a
> negative
> argument.

It seems that Paul's argument is correct.
I will review Paul's version of code.

Masatake YAMATO

* Re: Incompatibility of CC mode
@ 2007-04-04 20:19   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2007-04-04 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masatake YAMATO; +Cc: bug-cc-mode, rms, emacs-devel

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 11:17:48PM +0900, Masatake YAMATO wrote:
> > Is there any good reason for this incompatibility?
> > If not, let's get rid of it.

Masatake: if Paul's code is OK, would you please commit it yourself.
Then I will pick up the change and apply to CC Mode at SourceForge.

Thanks in advance!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Ittersbach, Germany).

* Re: Incompatibility of CC mode
@ 2007-04-09 13:20   ` Masatake YAMATO
From: Masatake YAMATO @ 2007-04-09 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-cc-mode, emacs-devel

Hi,

I'm the author of cc-subword.

> The functions c-capitalize-subword, c-downcase-subword, c-upcase-subword
> claim to behave like their normal emacs counterparts, but all three
> functions move the point when given a negative argument.  Furthermore,
> c-capitalize-subword doesn't even work with a negative argument on my
> machine.  I changed the functions to better mimic the behavior of
> capitalize/downcase/upcase/-word: they no longer move point with a
> negative
> argument.

Thank you.

About downcase and upcase, what you say and your code are correct.
So I installed your code to emacs's CVS repository.
Soon cc-mode maintainer will also install it to cc-mode's CVS repository.

    2007-04-09  Paul Curry <dashteacup@gmail.com>  (tiny change)

	    * progmodes/cc-subword.el (c-downcase-subword, c-upcase-subword):
	    Don't move point if ARG is netagive.

About capitalize, I've written my own code based on your code; and
installed it.

First of all, in subword, I cannot find expected behavior of capitalize,
which all of people can agree with. As you wrote my old is wrong because
point moves with netagive argument. This is obvious. However, I wonder
which character should be upcase when a netagive argument is given.

I'd like to explain why I modify your code here:

Consider doing "-3 M-c" at xxx.
                             ^ point is here.

[With your original code]      efg bceFghi xxx => Efg BceFghi Xxx
[With my modified code]        efg bceFghi xxx => efg BceFghi Xxx
[With real capitalize-word]    efg bce Fghi xxx => efg Bce Fghi Xxx

I think my modified code is rather similar to the real `capitalize-word'
than your original code. If you have strong objection, please, tell me.

    2007-04-09  Masatake YAMATO  <jet@gyve.org>

	    * progmodes/cc-subword.el (c-capitalize-subword): Implement
	    better mimic the behavior of `capitalize-word'. They no longer
	    move point with a  negative argument.
	    Based on code by Paul Curry.

    (defun c-capitalize-subword (arg)
      "Do the same as `capitalize-word' but on subwords.
    See the command `c-subword-mode' for a description of subwords.
    Optional argument ARG is the same as for `capitalize-word'."
      (interactive "p")
      (let ((count (abs arg))
	    (start (point))
	    (advance (if (< arg 0) nil t)))