all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem with define-globali\(zed\)?-minor-mode
@ 2007-03-07 22:31 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2007-03-07 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi, Emacs!

I've just updated my Emacs, and tried to build it.

It fell over whilst dumping, complaining that it couldn't find the
variable `global-font-lock-mode' whilst trying to load font-core.elc.

I changed "define-globalized-minor-mode" (~L291) back to
"define-global-minor-mode", and rebuilt font-core.elc.  I was then able
to build Emacs successfully.

Something has gone wrong in the name change/aliasing for this
define-globalized-minor-mode.  Perhaps the autoload form in loaddefs.el?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Ittersbach, Germany)

* Re: Problem with define-globali\(zed\)?-minor-mode
@ 2007-03-07 22:42 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-03-07 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > I changed "define-globalized-minor-mode" (~L291) back to
 > "define-global-minor-mode", and rebuilt font-core.elc.  I was then able
 > to build Emacs successfully.
 >
 > Something has gone wrong in the name change/aliasing for this
 > define-globalized-minor-mode.  Perhaps the autoload form in loaddefs.el?

Revert your change to font-core.el, byte compile it and then do make from
the source directory.

* Re: Problem with define-globali\(zed\)?-minor-mode
@ 2007-03-07 23:00   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2007-03-07 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi, Nick,

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 11:42:18AM +1300, Nick Roberts wrote:
>  > I changed "define-globalized-minor-mode" (~L291) back to
>  > "define-global-minor-mode", and rebuilt font-core.elc.  I was then
>  > able to build Emacs successfully.

>  > Something has gone wrong in the name change/aliasing for this
>  > define-globalized-minor-mode.  Perhaps the autoload form in
>  > loaddefs.el?

> Revert your change to font-core.el, byte compile it and then do make
> from the source directory.

That worked fine, though it's too late at night for me to understand what
was/is wrong.  Presumbaly doing a clean build would work; I haven't tried
that yet.

--

@ 2007-03-07 23:07     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-03-07 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: emacs-devel

Alan Mackenzie writes:
 > Hi, Nick,
 >
 > On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 11:42:18AM +1300, Nick Roberts wrote:
 > >  > I changed "define-globalized-minor-mode" (~L291) back to
 > >  > "define-global-minor-mode", and rebuilt font-core.elc.  I was then
 > >  > able to build Emacs successfully.
 >
 > >  > Something has gone wrong in the name change/aliasing for this
 > >  > define-globalized-minor-mode.  Perhaps the autoload form in
 > >  > loaddefs.el?
 >
 > > Revert your change to font-core.el, byte compile it and then do make
 > > from the source directory.
 >
 > That worked fine, though it's too late at night for me to understand what
 > was/is wrong.  Presumbaly doing a clean build would work; I haven't tried
 > that yet.

Nothing should be wrong now.  I think it was just that font-core.el needed to
be recompiled using the new macro define-globalized-minor-mode.  You could
do "make bootstrap" but it would take much longer if you have an old machine
like me.