all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug in Python-mode
@ 2006-12-17 19:46 Paul Pogonyshev
From: Paul Pogonyshev @ 2006-12-17 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Indentation of this construct is broken:

sys.stderr.write (str (lambda x:
		       x + 1))

The reason is the ending column after lambda declaration.

Paul

* Re: bug in Python-mode
@ 2006-12-17 19:51 ` Paul Pogonyshev
From: Paul Pogonyshev @ 2006-12-17 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote:
> Indentation of this construct is broken:
>
> sys.stderr.write (str (lambda x:
> 		       x + 1))
>
> The reason is the ending column after lambda declaration.

I meant `colon' of course.

Paul

* Re: bug in Python-mode
@ 2006-12-17 23:46   ` Slawomir Nowaczyk
From: Slawomir Nowaczyk @ 2006-12-17 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:51:41 +0200
Paul Pogonyshev <pogonyshev@gmx.net> wrote:

#> I wrote:
#>> Indentation of this construct is broken:
#>>
#>> sys.stderr.write (str (lambda x:
#>>                            x + 1))
#>>
#>> The reason is the ending column after lambda declaration.
#>
#> I meant `colon' of course.

Well, you may be right, but I am not entirely sure... How do you think
the indentation *should* look in this case?

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk

Living your life is a task so difficult, it has never
been attempted before.

* Re: bug in Python-mode
@ 2006-12-18  0:03     ` Paul Pogonyshev
From: Paul Pogonyshev @ 2006-12-18  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Slawomir Nowaczyk

Slawomir Nowaczyk wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:51:41 +0200
> Paul Pogonyshev <pogonyshev@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> #> I wrote:
> #>> Indentation of this construct is broken:
> #>>
> #>> sys.stderr.write (str (lambda x:
> #>>                            x + 1))
> #>>
> #>> The reason is the ending column after lambda declaration.
> #>
> #> I meant `colon' of course.
>
> Well, you may be right, but I am not entirely sure... How do you think
> the indentation *should* look in this case?

Damn, I cannot formulate even two sentences properly.  Indentation
_after_ this construct is broken.  Try copying it into a Python-mode
buffer and try to add a statement after it.

Paul

* Re: bug in Python-mode
@ 2006-12-18  0:06       ` Slawomir Nowaczyk
From: Slawomir Nowaczyk @ 2006-12-18  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 02:03:59 +0200

#> Slawomir Nowaczyk wrote:
#> > On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:51:41 +0200
#> > Paul Pogonyshev <pogonyshev@gmx.net> wrote:
#> >
#> > #> I wrote:
#> > #>> Indentation of this construct is broken:
#> > #>>
#> > #>> sys.stderr.write (str (lambda x:
#> > #>>                            x + 1))
#> > #>>
#> > #>> The reason is the ending column after lambda declaration.
#> > #>
#> > #> I meant `colon' of course.
#> >
#> > Well, you may be right, but I am not entirely sure... How do you think
#> > the indentation *should* look in this case?
#>
#> Damn, I cannot formulate even two sentences properly.  Indentation
#> _after_ this construct is broken.  Try copying it into a Python-mode
#> buffer and try to add a statement after it.

Well, both:

    sys.stderr.write (str (lambda x:
                               x + 1))
    a = 1

and:

    def aa():
        sys.stderr.write (str (lambda x:
                                   x + 1))
        a = 1

indent properly on my machine... Did I misunderstood you again?

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk
     ( slawomir.nowaczyk.847@student.lu.se )

Honeymoon: time between I do and you'd better

* Re: bug in Python-mode
@ 2006-12-18  0:20         ` Paul Pogonyshev
From: Paul Pogonyshev @ 2006-12-18  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Slawomir Nowaczyk

Slawomir Nowaczyk wrote:
> Well, both:
>
>     sys.stderr.write (str (lambda x:
>                                x + 1))
>     a = 1
>
> and:
>
>     def aa():
>         sys.stderr.write (str (lambda x:
>                                    x + 1))
>         a = 1
>
> indent properly on my machine... Did I misunderstood you again?

No, sorry.  It works OK with the CVS version of python-mode.el, which
I failed to update before complaining.  (Except that I think the old
version of indentation of the lambda itself was nicer, but that is not
really important.)

Paul