all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to bind C-M-Backspace somewhere else?
@ 2006-10-03 18:12 Paul Pogonyshev
From: Paul Pogonyshev @ 2006-10-03 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for a bit off-topic question, but I thought Emacs users are the
ones who might have encountered the same problem.

How do I rebind X's restaring key combo (C-M-Backspace) somewhere else,
preferably to C-S-M-Backspace?  I ask because I accidentally hit it
for several times now, mistook for Emacs C-M-\ (`indent-region'.)  On
my keyboard `\' and `Backspace' keys are next to each other.

Paul

* Re: how to bind C-M-Backspace somewhere else?
@ 2006-10-03 19:59 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2006-10-03 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Paul Pogonyshev <pogonyshev@gmx.net> writes:

> How do I rebind X's restaring key combo (C-M-Backspace) somewhere else,
> preferably to C-S-M-Backspace?

You need to use the XKB interface to change that.  See xkbcomp(1).  Start
with `xkbcomp :0', which creates a file server-0.xkb, then look for
Terminate_Server.

Andreas.

* Re: how to bind C-M-Backspace somewhere else?
@ 2006-10-03 20:58 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2006-10-03 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 21:12:47 +0300 Paul Pogonyshev wrote:

> Sorry for a bit off-topic question, but I thought Emacs users are the
> ones who might have encountered the same problem.
>
> How do I rebind X's restaring key combo (C-M-Backspace) somewhere else,
> preferably to C-S-M-Backspace?  I ask because I accidentally hit it
> for several times now, mistook for Emacs C-M-\ (`indent-region'.)  On
> my keyboard `\' and `Backspace' keys are next to each other.

Section "ServerLayout"
  [...]
  Option           "DontZap"	"True"
  [...]
EndSection

Works with xorg but may as well work with XFree.  Have that in
my xorg.conf since i once tried to backward-kill-sexp...

David

* Re: how to bind C-M-Backspace somewhere else?
@ 2006-10-16 20:04   ` Paul Pogonyshev
From: Paul Pogonyshev @ 2006-10-16 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: David Hansen

David Hansen wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 21:12:47 +0300 Paul Pogonyshev wrote:
>
> > Sorry for a bit off-topic question, but I thought Emacs users are the
> > ones who might have encountered the same problem.
> >
> > How do I rebind X's restaring key combo (C-M-Backspace) somewhere else,
> > preferably to C-S-M-Backspace?  I ask because I accidentally hit it
> > for several times now, mistook for Emacs C-M-\ (`indent-region'.)  On
> > my keyboard `\' and `Backspace' keys are next to each other.
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>   [...]
>   Option           "DontZap"	"True"
>   [...]
> EndSection
>
> Works with xorg but may as well work with XFree.  Have that in
> my xorg.conf since i once tried to backward-kill-sexp...

Thanks.  Sorry for a late reply, but when I accidentally killed X after
repetetive `C-s C-s M-Backspace', I suddenly remembered this...  I tried
editing keyboard layout first, but since all modifiers just stopped
working, I gave up and activated `DontZap' option instead.

Paul