all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-07-26  9:45 Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2006-07-26  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw

Here is a quote from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacs)

> Many advanced users have .emacs files hundreds of lines long, with idiosyncratic customizations that cause Emacs to diverge wildly from the default behavior.

My own customisations total 15,343 (that's 15 thousand) lines.

I have split my .emacs file into 85 files to simplify things.

My code includes all of my font preferences,
an automated backup system, a C++
class browser and many more features.

I was wondering how many lines of Lisp code
other people out there use.   How many lines
do people like Eli Zaretskii, Richard Stallman
or Donald Knuth use...

I realise that a posting to this forum will
only be read by hard-core Emacs types,
but it would be interesting to find out
nonetheless!

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-07-26 10:02 ` David Kastrup
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-07-26 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw

"Davin Pearson" <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> Here is a quote from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacs)
>
>> Many advanced users have .emacs files hundreds of lines long, with
>> idiosyncratic customizations that cause Emacs to diverge wildly
>> from the default behavior.
>
> My own customisations total 15,343 (that's 15 thousand) lines.
>
> I have split my .emacs file into 85 files to simplify things.
>
> My code includes all of my font preferences,
> an automated backup system, a C++
> class browser and many more features.
>
> I was wondering how many lines of Lisp code
> other people out there use.   How many lines
> do people like Eli Zaretskii, Richard Stallman
> or Donald Knuth use...

About 250 lines, and about 90 of those are variables set with
customize.

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-07-26 12:01 ` Tassilo Horn
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-07-26 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw

"Davin Pearson" <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Davin,

> My own customisations total 15,343 (that's 15 thousand) lines.

Wow, you could have written you own emacs clone with less LOC. ;-)

,----[ wc -l .emacs .gnus.el .ercrc.el programs/emacs/th-common.el ]
|   703 /home/heimdall/.emacs
|   469 /home/heimdall/.gnus.el
|   121 /home/heimdall/.ercrc.el
|    66 /home/heimdall/programs/emacs/th-common.el
|  1359 insgesamt
`----

But I have to admit that more than a half of those lines are comments,
so here's a cleaned up version:

,----[ grep -E '^[:space:]*[^;]+$' .emacs .gnus.el .ercrc.el \ ]
|    [                     programs/emacs/th-common.el | wc -l ]
| 582
`----

Bye,
Tassilo
--
* delYsid has mortage, opportunity and penis in his score file.
<delYsid> thats pretty effective against spam

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-07-26 12:20 ` Mathias Dahl
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-07-26 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw

"Davin Pearson" <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> My own customisations total 15,343 (that's 15 thousand) lines.
>
> I have split my .emacs file into 85 files to simplify things.

That's crazy! :) Really. Wow...

Mine is ~2400 lines. But I have put some stuff I use in other files,
which I then `require', so in a way it is not a valid answer.

* Re: How big are your customisations?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-07-26 18:52 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-26 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw

> From: "Davin Pearson" <davin.pearson@gmail.com>
> Date: 26 Jul 2006 02:45:42 -0700
>
> My own customisations total 15,343 (that's 15 thousand) lines.

This is -- how should I put it -- not normal ;-)

> I was wondering how many lines of Lisp code
> other people out there use.   How many lines
> do people like Eli Zaretskii, Richard Stallman
> or Donald Knuth use...

I'm hardly a customization junkie: my .emacs has only 727 lines, many
of which target various platforms on which I work, and some even old
versions of Emacs, if I ever need to use them again.

* Re: How big are your customisations?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-07-27 12:12 ` Dieter Wilhelm
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4599.1154102463.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-07-27 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Davin Pearson" <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> I was wondering how many lines of Lisp code
> other people out there use.   How many lines
> do people like Eli Zaretskii, Richard Stallman
> or Donald Knuth

or ... many, many dots ...  or Dieter's .emacs has 287 active code
lines (575 lines overall, of which the really interesting ones are
from a suggestion of Kevin Rogers).

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: How big are your customisations?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-07-27 18:38 ` Edward O'Connor
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4580.1154078436.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.4504.1153939928.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2006-07-27 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw

,----[ wc -l .emacs .ercrc.el .gnus .viper elisp/color-theme-hober2.el ]
`----

--
Edward O'Connor
hober0@gmail.com

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

* Formatting output [was: How big are your customisations?]
@ 2006-07-27 19:48   ` Dieter Wilhelm
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4580.1154078436.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-07-27 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com> writes:

> Davin Pearson wrote:
>
>> I was wondering how many lines of Lisp code other people out there
>> use.
>
> ,----[ wc -l .emacs .ercrc.el .gnus .viper elisp/color-theme-hober2.el ]
> | 2531 .emacs
> |  148 .ercrc.el
> |  349 .gnus
> |  131 .viper
> |  751 elisp/color-theme-hober2.el
> | 3910 total
> `----

How do you manage to get this nice "bracket" around your command line
and the results?  There must be an automated way, I've seen it so
often with info help nodes.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

@ 2006-07-28  9:56   ` Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2006-07-28  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I'm hardly a customization junkie: my .emacs has only 727 lines, many
> of which target various platforms on which I work, and some even old
> versions of Emacs, if I ever need to use them again.

My first customisation was to set tab-width to 4.

The online help for Emacs is excellent
and I became somewhat addicted to
the process of customisation... learning
more and changing more and so on...

Then I redefined C-x f to C-f (in all modes)
to save my left hand from too much
stretching.  I still can't believe that most
people don't do this.

Then I changed the command M-c to behave
like so aaa_bbb_ccc -> Aaa_Bbb_Ccc
for more readable C++ code.

Then I (re)defined all of the function
keys to perform common operations
like f8 to undo and f9 to compile.

Ten years later I now have 15 thousand lines of Lisp code.
I have put my most important changes on my website:

http://www.geocities.com/davinpearson/research/2006/mopa2e.html

The coolest features of Emacs
are IMHO are the dabbrev and the customisable
syntax highlighting.

I have defined some predicate variables that
have different values depending on what system you are on.
Example:

emacs-dialect--dosemacs-p
emacs-dialect--xemacs-p
emacs-dialect--gnuemacs-p
os-type--microsoft-p
os-type--linux-p
os-type--mswindows-p
os-type--msdos-p
os-type--graphical-p
os-type--text-p
os-type--graphical-p

Wouldn't it be good if similar
functions were available as
standard commands, since
they are so useful?

* Checking for Emacs flavors, OS, graphics, ... (was: How big are your customisations?)
@ 2006-07-28 12:03     ` Reiner Steib
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-07-28 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw

On Fri, Jul 28 2006, Davin Pearson wrote:

> emacs-dialect--dosemacs-p

(memq system-type '(ms-dos))

> emacs-dialect--xemacs-p

(featurep 'xemacs)

> emacs-dialect--gnuemacs-p

(not (featurep 'xemacs))

> os-type--microsoft-p

(memq system-type '(ms-dos windows-nt cygwin))

> os-type--linux-p

(memq system-type '(gnu/linux))

> os-type--mswindows-p

(memq system-type '(windows-nt))

> os-type--msdos-p

(memq system-type '(ms-dos))

> os-type--graphical-p

(display-graphic-p)

> os-type--text-p

(display-graphic-p)

> Wouldn't it be good if similar functions were available as standard
> commands, since they are so useful?

Most of such predicates are already available.  More often you should
check for specific feature instead of checking for specific operating
systems of Emacs flavors.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-07-28 13:33     ` Eli Zaretskii
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-28 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw

> From: "Davin Pearson" <davin.pearson@gmail.com>
> Date: 28 Jul 2006 02:56:06 -0700
>
> Then I changed the command M-c to behave
> like so aaa_bbb_ccc -> Aaa_Bbb_Ccc
> for more readable C++ code.

3 M-c's in a row will do that without any changes.

> Then I (re)defined all of the function
> keys to perform common operations
> like f8 to undo and f9 to compile.

Function keys are too far away, so I dislike them.

> emacs-dialect--dosemacs-p
> emacs-dialect--xemacs-p
> emacs-dialect--gnuemacs-p

For the last two, (featurep 'emacs) etc. will do.  So I don't see why
these are needed, they aren't shorter than the above.

> os-type--microsoft-p
> os-type--linux-p
> os-type--mswindows-p
> os-type--msdos-p
> os-type--graphical-p
> os-type--text-p

For the last two, use display-graphic-p.  (There are more display-*-p
predicates that you may wish looking into.)

> Wouldn't it be good if similar
> functions were available as
> standard commands, since
> they are so useful?

The OS predicates are very simple: (eq system-type 'foo).

> http://www.geocities.com/davinpearson/research/2006/mopa2e.html

I looked at this, and there are some features that seem to be part of
Emacs:

   ebrowse.el is the Emacs C++ class browser
   which-func.el shows the current function in the mode line

Why don't you use these?

* Re: How big are your customisations?
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.4504.1153939928.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-28 14:14 ` robert.thorpe
       [not found] ` <mailman.4582.1154078449.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: robert.thorpe @ 2006-07-28 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw

Davin Pearson wrote:
> Here is a quote from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacs)
>
> > Many advanced users have .emacs files hundreds of lines long, with idiosyncratic customizations that cause Emacs to diverge wildly from the default behavior.
>
> My own customisations total 15,343 (that's 15 thousand) lines.
>
> I have split my .emacs file into 85 files to simplify things.
>
> My code includes all of my font preferences,
> an automated backup system, a C++
> class browser and many more features.
>
> I was wondering how many lines of Lisp code
> other people out there use.   How many lines
> do people like Eli Zaretskii, Richard Stallman
> or Donald Knuth use...
>
> I realise that a posting to this forum will
> only be read by hard-core Emacs types,
> but it would be interesting to find out
> nonetheless!

Everyone here uses loads of customization compared to me, my .emacs
file is only 100 lines long.

It was once much longer, but it has become shorter over time as more
features have been put into Emacs that I had attempted to do myself -
and normally done messily.

Keeping it fairly small seems to make upgrading easier too.

* Re: Formatting output
@ 2006-07-28 15:37     ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2006-07-28 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw

Dieter Wilhelm wrote:

>> ,----[ wc -l .emacs .ercrc.el .gnus .viper elisp/color-theme-hober2.el ]
>> | 2531 .emacs
>> |  148 .ercrc.el
>> |  349 .gnus
>> |  131 .viper
>> |  751 elisp/color-theme-hober2.el
>> | 3910 total
>> `----
>
> How do you manage to get this nice "bracket" around your command line
> and the results? There must be an automated way, I've seen it so often
> with info help nodes.

Google for boxquote.el.

Ted

--

@ 2006-07-28 16:00   ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4599.1154102463.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-07-28 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw

Dieter Wilhelm wrote:
> "Davin Pearson" <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:
>> I was wondering how many lines of Lisp code
>> other people out there use.   How many lines
>> do people like Eli Zaretskii, Richard Stallman
>> or Donald Knuth
>
> or ... many, many dots ...  or Dieter's .emacs has 287 active code
> lines (575 lines overall, of which the really interesting ones are
> from a suggestion of Kevin Rogers).

My own .emacs file is 531 lines, but it has 123 comment lines and 95
empty lines so 313 lines of lisp.  About 10% of that is conditional
expressions to handle different Emacs versions, and a few lines load
external libraries not distributed with Emacs (e.g. w3m.el and
minibuffer-complete-cycle.el).

--
Kevin

@ 2006-07-28 16:55     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-07-28 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Dieter Wilhelm wrote:
>> "Davin Pearson" <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I was wondering how many lines of Lisp code
>>> other people out there use.   How many lines
>>> do people like Eli Zaretskii, Richard Stallman
>>> or Donald Knuth
>>
>> or ... many, many dots ...  or Dieter's .emacs has 287 active code
>> lines (575 lines overall, of which the really interesting ones are
>> from a suggestion of Kevin Rogers).
>
> My own .emacs file is 531 lines, but it has 123 comment lines and 95
> empty lines so 313 lines of lisp.  About 10% of that is conditional
> expressions to handle different Emacs versions, and a few lines load
> external libraries not distributed with Emacs (e.g. w3m.el and
> minibuffer-complete-cycle.el).

I guess I am cheating.  If I really want some functionality, I put it
into Emacs upstream, not my customization files.

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-07-28 18:18       ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2006-07-28 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw

    David> I guess I am cheating.  If I really want some
    David> functionality, I put it into Emacs upstream, not my
    David> customization files.

Gosh, that is indeed cheating.

Stop doing that.

:-)

--
Tobacco: It's not just for killing children anymore.

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-07-28 18:49         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-07-28 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw

On Fri, Jul 28 2006, Eric Hanchrow wrote:

>     David> I guess I am cheating.  If I really want some
>     David> functionality, I put it into Emacs upstream, not my
>     David> customization files.
>
> Gosh, that is indeed cheating.
>
> Stop doing that.
>
> :-)

No, that's not cheating.  Quite the contrary, this is how many Emacs
nice features are born: "I thought WIBNI Emacs could ..., so I
implemented it: ..."

Maybe it's a general rule that active developers don't have many
customizations, because they try to improve the defaults instead.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Formatting output
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4580.1154078436.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-29 13:03     ` martin
From: martin @ 2006-07-29 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw

,----
`----

--
parozusa at web dot de

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-07-30  1:25     ` David Hansen
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4652.1154223520.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4592.1154093621.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2006-07-30  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw

On 28 Jul 2006 02:56:06 -0700 Davin Pearson wrote:

> Then I redefined C-x f to C-f (in all modes)
> to save my left hand from too much
> stretching.  I still can't believe that most
> people don't do this.

Probably most users think that moving the cursor forward is
a more important command than changing the fill column.

David

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-08-01 14:06         ` Slawomir Nowaczyk
From: Slawomir Nowaczyk @ 2006-08-01 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:18:48 -0700
Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net> wrote:

#> >>>>> "David" == David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
#>
#>     David> I guess I am cheating.  If I really want some
#>     David> functionality, I put it into Emacs upstream, not my
#>     David> customization files.
#>
#> Gosh, that is indeed cheating.
#>
#> Stop doing that.

No, *please*, do not stop doing that :-) :-) :-)

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk

One of the fundamental philosophical questions of our time is
 why Goofy is a person and Pluto is a dog.

* Re: How big are your customisations?
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-08-02  9:05 ` Tim X
       [not found] ` <mailman.4582.1154078449.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim X @ 2006-08-02  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw

"Davin Pearson" <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> Here is a quote from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacs)
>
>> Many advanced users have .emacs files hundreds of lines long, with idiosyncratic customizations that cause Emacs to diverge wildly from the default behavior.
>
> My own customisations total 15,343 (that's 15 thousand) lines.
>
> I have split my .emacs file into 85 files to simplify things.
>
> My code includes all of my font preferences,
> an automated backup system, a C++
> class browser and many more features.
>
> I was wondering how many lines of Lisp code
> other people out there use.   How many lines
> do people like Eli Zaretskii, Richard Stallman
> or Donald Knuth use...
>
> I realise that a posting to this forum will
> only be read by hard-core Emacs types,
> but it would be interesting to find out
> nonetheless!

Mine is about 750 lines. However, I am not counting little packages
and utilities I have written to enhance my emacs environment. If I
include these, then I have another 62,000 (I have a couple of large
specialised packages I use). I also have a lot of other packages I
have installed and use form time to time - these would add up to at
least a few hundred thousand lines - it all depends on what you
classify as customization. Personally, I wouldn't count add on
packages or packages I've written - just stuff done in my .emacs file
(or would normally put in the .emacs file as I've broken some of it
off into individual files to make them easier to maintain etc).

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

@ 2006-08-05  5:28       ` Davin Pearson
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4887.1154766208.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Davin Pearson @ 2006-08-05  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw

David Hansen wrote:
> On 28 Jul 2006 02:56:06 -0700 Davin Pearson wrote:
>
> > Then I redefined C-x f to C-f (in all modes)
> > to save my left hand from too much
> > stretching.  I still can't believe that most
> > people don't do this.
>
> Probably most users think that moving the cursor forward is
> a more important command than changing the fill column.

Sorry I meant to say that I redefined C-x C-f to
C-f.

All computers that I have ever used have
cursor keys, so to me it seems unnecessary
to have C-f/C-b/C-n/C-p defined as
cursor movement.

Therefore I have renamed C-f to
find-file and C-p to picture mode.

@ 2006-08-05  5:43       ` Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2006-08-05  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: "Davin Pearson" <davin.pearson@gmail.com>
> > Date: 28 Jul 2006 02:56:06 -0700
> >
> > Then I changed the command M-c to behave
> > like so aaa_bbb_ccc -> Aaa_Bbb_Ccc
> > for more readable C++ code.
>
> 3 M-c's in a row will do that without any changes.

Not on my machine, perhaps my other
settings are conflicting with this.

> I looked at this, and there are some features that seem to be part of
> Emacs:
>
>    ebrowse.el is the Emacs C++ class browser
>    which-func.el shows the current function in the mode line
>
> Why don't you use these?

I will have a look at them...

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-08-05  8:22         ` David Hansen
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4887.1154766208.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2006-08-05  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw

On 4 Aug 2006 22:28:43 -0700 Davin Pearson wrote:

> David Hansen wrote:
>> Probably most users think that moving the cursor forward is
>> a more important command than changing the fill column.
>>

> Sorry I meant to say that I redefined C-x C-f to
> C-f.
>
> All computers that I have ever used have
> cursor keys, so to me it seems unnecessary
> to have C-f/C-b/C-n/C-p defined as
> cursor movement.

Try using C-f/C-b/C-n/C-p.  I'm serious.  It's far for
comfortable and faster to not move away your hand from the
main part of the keyboard.  Takes some time to get used to
it but it's worth "learning" it.

David

@ 2006-08-05  8:48           ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-05  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

> Try using C-f/C-b/C-n/C-p.  I'm serious.  It's far for
> comfortable and faster to not move away your hand from the
> main part of the keyboard.  Takes some time to get used to
> it but it's worth "learning" it.

Both Richard Stallman and Ben Wing suffer from severe RSI.

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-08-05  9:34             ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2006-08-05  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw

* David Kastrup (2006-08-05) writes:

> David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> Try using C-f/C-b/C-n/C-p.  I'm serious.  It's far for
>> comfortable and faster to not move away your hand from the
>> main part of the keyboard.  Takes some time to get used to
>> it but it's worth "learning" it.
>
> Both Richard Stallman and Ben Wing suffer from severe RSI.

How is this related to Emacs key bindings for cursor movement?

--
Ralf

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-08-05  9:42               ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-05  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw

Ralf Angeli <dev.null@caeruleus.net> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2006-08-05) writes:
>
>> David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:
>>
>>> Try using C-f/C-b/C-n/C-p.  I'm serious.  It's far for
>>> comfortable and faster to not move away your hand from the
>>> main part of the keyboard.  Takes some time to get used to
>>> it but it's worth "learning" it.
>>
>> Both Richard Stallman and Ben Wing suffer from severe RSI.
>
> How is this related to Emacs key bindings for cursor movement?

No idea.  But it seems that their favorite editor does not help.  I
can't remember similar stories from vi clone maintainers, but to be
fair, they have to manage a quite smaller code base.

@ 2006-08-05  9:53       ` Davin Pearson
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4892.1154780152.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Davin Pearson @ 2006-08-05  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>    which-func.el shows the current function in the mode line
>
> Why don't you use these?

I have just tried to the following:

(require 'which-func)
(find-file "a.cc")
(which-func)

And it only displays [???]

How do I get it to work?

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-08-05 12:15         ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4892.1154780152.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-08-05 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw

> From: "Davin Pearson" <davin.pearson@gmail.com>
> Date: 5 Aug 2006 02:53:31 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >    which-func.el shows the current function in the mode line
> >
> > Why don't you use these?
>
> I have just tried to the following:
>
> (require 'which-func)
> (find-file "a.cc")
> (which-func)
>
> And it only displays [???]
>
> How do I get it to work?

What is `which-func'? there's no such function in which-func.el.

To activate the mode, type "M-x which-func-mode RET"; you don't need
to (require 'which-func) explicitly.

@ 2006-08-06  4:14           ` Davin Pearson
       [not found]             ` <mailman.4907.1154841207.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Davin Pearson @ 2006-08-06  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > I have just tried to the following:
> >
> > (require 'which-func)
> > (find-file "a.cc")
> > (which-func)
> >
> > And it only displays [???]
> >
> > How do I get it to work?
>
> What is `which-func'? there's no such function in which-func.el.

Sorry I meant (which-func-mode)

> To activate the mode, type "M-x which-func-mode RET"; you don't need
> to (require 'which-func) explicitly.

I have executed M-x which-func-mode RET while
editing the following file (foo.c):

int main()
{
     // main
}

void Foo::bar()
{
     // Foo::bar
}

and all it shows is [???]

So what gives?

My own Lisp file for telling
you the current function (CFM.EL)
works equally well in C/C++/Java source files.

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-08-06  5:13             ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]               ` <mailman.4913.1154842313.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]             ` <mailman.4907.1154841207.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-08-06  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw

> From: "Davin Pearson" <davin.pearson@gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 5 Aug 2006 21:14:15 -0700
>
> I have executed M-x which-func-mode RET while
> editing the following file (foo.c):
>
> int main()
> {
>      // main
> }
>
> void Foo::bar()
> {
>      // Foo::bar
> }
>
> and all it shows is [???]

Does that happen in "emacs -q --no-site-file"?

Also, what version of Emacs is that, and on which platform?

I cannot reproduce the problem on my machine (with Emacs 22.0.50, the
CVS version): your file works for me in which-func-mode.

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-08-06  5:31               ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]               ` <mailman.4913.1154842313.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-08-06  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw

> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 01:13:01 -0400
>
> Also, what version of Emacs is that, and on which platform?
>
> I cannot reproduce the problem on my machine (with Emacs 22.0.50, the
> CVS version): your file works for me in which-func-mode.

Perhaps you are using Emacs 21.x; in that case, invoke
`imenu-add-menubar-index' before "M-x which-func-mode", or add it to
the appropriate mode hook (the CVS version loads imenu.el
automatically).

@ 2006-08-06  6:04                 ` Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2006-08-06  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> > Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 01:13:01 -0400
> >
> > Also, what version of Emacs is that, and on which platform?

emacs-version -> 21.3.1
system-type -> Windows NT

> > I cannot reproduce the problem on my machine (with Emacs 22.0.50, the
> > CVS version): your file works for me in which-func-mode.
>
> Perhaps you are using Emacs 21.x; in that case, invoke
> `imenu-add-menubar-index' before "M-x which-func-mode", or add it to
> the appropriate mode hook (the CVS version loads imenu.el
> automatically).

Thank you for the help,
now everything works fine.

@ 2006-08-06 14:53           ` dsoliver
From: dsoliver @ 2006-08-06 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw

This discussion is interesting. It reminds me of 1982 and DOS days
using WordStar. That program was originally designed to be used without
arrow keys. It was very logically set up. Doesn't Emacs have a wordstar
mode? Though that might be from a much later version. Vi mode should
also have non cursor arrow/mouse  movement options. --Douglas

@ 2006-08-06 18:51             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-08-06 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw

> From: "dsoliver@earthlink.net" <dsoliver@earthlink.net>
> Date: 6 Aug 2006 07:53:00 -0700
>
> Doesn't Emacs have a wordstar mode?

Of course, it does!

@ 2006-08-13 19:09               ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2006-08-13 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw

In article <mailman.4907.1154841207.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Eli Zaretskii  <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>I cannot reproduce the problem on my machine (with Emacs 22.0.50, the
>CVS version): ...

My (ancient!) version of cvs emacs says, for version:

   22.0.50.1

, and the executable is dated  22dec2004.

What version and date do *you* have?

Most important of all, *how* did you grab the cvs-version?

do you have an actual cvs cmd, with all necessary switches and args,
to download a .bz2 or .gz of it (the whole thing), so I
can then do a ./configure and then a "make".

Thanks so much!

David

@ 2006-08-13 19:15   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2006-08-13 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw

In article <mailman.4582.1154078449.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Dieter Wilhelm  <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> wrote:

>or ... many, many dots ...  or Dieter's .emacs has 287 active code
>lines (575 lines overall, of which the really interesting ones are
>from a suggestion of Kevin Rogers).

URL for it -- or maybe you've already (or could)
contributed it to some about-emacs site?

Thanks,

David

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-08-13 19:19   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2006-08-13 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw

In article <87odv3v779.fsf@tiger.rapttech.com.au>,
Tim X  <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:

>Mine is about 750 lines. However, I am not counting little packages
>and utilities I have written to enhance my emacs environment. If I
>include these, then I have another 62,000 (I have a couple of large
>specialised packages I use). I also have a lot of other packages I
>have installed and use form time to time - these would add up to at
>least a few hundred thousand lines - it all depends on what you
>classify as customization. Personally, I wouldn't count add on
>packages or packages I've written - just stuff done in my .emacs file
>(or would normally put in the .emacs file as I've broken some of it
>off into individual files to make them easier to maintain etc).
>
>Tim
>--

Of course you've contributed them, somewhere, to all of us --
(after doing some doc, too)?

David

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-08-13 20:22     ` Jiri Pejchal
From: Jiri Pejchal @ 2006-08-13 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> In article <mailman.4582.1154078449.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
> Dieter Wilhelm  <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> wrote:
>>
>>or ... many, many dots ...  or Dieter's .emacs has 287 active code
>>lines (575 lines overall, of which the really interesting ones are
>>from a suggestion of Kevin Rogers).

wc -l .emacs
1565 .emacs

It's time to do some cleaning...:-)

--
Jiri Pejchal

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-08-14  3:24                 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-08-14  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw

> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
> Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 19:09:11 +0000 (UTC)
>
> My (ancient!) version of cvs emacs says, for version:
>
>    22.0.50.1
>
> , and the executable is dated  22dec2004.
>
> What version and date do *you* have?

I sync with the CVS every few days.

See http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs for the details.

> do you have an actual cvs cmd, with all necessary switches and args,
> to download a .bz2 or .gz of it (the whole thing), so I
> can then do a ./configure and then a "make".

Yes, see the above URL.  (Except that checking out from CVS produces
the source tree directly, no need to unpack any bz2 archives.)

* Re: How big are your customisations?
@ 2006-08-14  8:41     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-08-14  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> In article <87odv3v779.fsf@tiger.rapttech.com.au>,
> Tim X  <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
>>
>>Mine is about 750 lines. However, I am not counting little packages
>>and utilities I have written to enhance my emacs environment. If I
>>include these, then I have another 62,000 (I have a couple of large
>>specialised packages I use). I also have a lot of other packages I
>>have installed and use form time to time - these would add up to at
>>least a few hundred thousand lines - it all depends on what you
>>classify as customization. Personally, I wouldn't count add on
>>packages or packages I've written - just stuff done in my .emacs file
>>(or would normally put in the .emacs file as I've broken some of it
>>off into individual files to make them easier to maintain etc).
>>
>>Tim
>>--
>

> Of course you've contributed them, somewhere, to all of us --
> (after doing some doc, too)?

No, most of it I have not contributed and have no plans to. As I said,
they are specialised to my needs and I have no desire or time to
document or support or deal with e-mails from lazy individuals who
cannot be bothered trying to work out why things don't work. This may
seem like a hard attitude, but it is based on past experiences when I
did release stuff for others to use and ended up getting abused by
people who couldn't get it working. I've never understood the number
of users who expect to be able to get code for free and despite
disclaimers and the rest, feel they have the right to abuse you when
they either don't like what you have done or cannot get it to work.

The less specialised stuff I have contributed, but its a very small
number in comparison to the total elisp I have written. It is also
extremely trivial and requires minimal documentation. My main
contributions have been bug fixes for other peoples packages, like
sql-mode, tramp, emacspeak, plsql-mode (which, last time I looked was
still broken - I gave up submitting fixes when I got no response, plus
I don't have to do Oracle stuff at present), w3 and a few others. I
think this is more valuable than releasing more half baked globs of
code that really only address my own personal requirements.

There is a big big difference between code written for personal use
and code written for others to use. Code for others takes a lot more
work and a lot more time - very difficult to justify when it is likely
nobody else will use it.

tim

--

@ 2006-08-14 20:46     ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-08-14 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> In article <mailman.4582.1154078449.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
> Dieter Wilhelm  <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> wrote:
>>
>>or ... many, many dots ...  or Dieter's .emacs has 287 active code
>>lines (575 lines overall, of which the really interesting ones are
>>from a suggestion of Kevin Rogers).
>
> URL for it -- or maybe you've already (or could)
> contributed it to some about-emacs site?

It's about organising the buffer of Emacs in various, named frames and
binding keys to the frames.  Kevin gave an example in this mailing
list, if you're interested I'll post it to you.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany