all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* "word processor" text files
@ 2006-07-31  9:56 Paul Rubin
From: Paul Rubin @ 2006-07-31  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wish there were a way to edit "word processor"-format text files in
Emacs.  I don't mean .doc or anything like that, just .txt files with
no newlines except between paragraphs.  The idea is the text flows
automatically as you add stuff, or if you insert in the middle.
Newline ends a paragraph.

The actual goal is to AVOID using a word processor (right now I use
OpenOffice for this type of file, but I'd rather use Emacs).  The
usual reason is that I want to write some text to paste into a web
browser form.  The browser wants to fill text itself, and any newlines
in the input turn into incorrectly placed line breaks.

Am I missing something?

* Re: "word processor" text files
@ 2006-07-31 15:04 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-07-31 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ C-h f longlines-mode RET ]
| longlines-mode is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in `longlines'.
| (longlines-mode &optional arg)
|
| Toggle Long Lines mode.
| In Long Lines mode, long lines are wrapped if they extend beyond
| `fill-column'.  The soft newlines used for line wrapping will not
| show up when the text is yanked or saved to disk.
|
| If the variable `longlines-auto-wrap' is non-nil, lines are automatically
| wrapped whenever the buffer is changed.  You can always call
| `fill-paragraph' to fill individual paragraphs.
|
| If the variable `longlines-show-hard-newlines' is non-nil, hard newlines
| are indicated with a symbol.
|
| [back]
`----

So:

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook (lambda () (longlines-mode 1)))

--
Kevin