all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Still problems with desktop.el -> coding
@ 2006-07-05  9:32 Sebastian Meisel
From: Sebastian Meisel @ 2006-07-05  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo,

I asked that question before, but got no proper answer, so I try it again.

I'm german, so I use iso-latin1 encoding on my files. Everything works fine as
long as I don't use desktop.el.
With that every non ascii-char is escaped with a \201-char:
---->
Beim Blick auf das Scheidungsrecht im Alten Testament, fällt auf das sie --
wie auch die Ehe -- nirgends ausdrücklich
<-------

I use Emacs 21.4-1 on gentoo linux 2006 (~x86).

I have set the LC und LANG variables to de_DE.iso-8859-1.

I experience no such problems when I load files directly = not through
desktop.el.

Here is a .emacs.desktop-file:

--------->
;; -*- coding: emacs-mule; -*-
;; --------------------------------------------------------------------------
;; Desktop File for Emacs
;; --------------------------------------------------------------------------
;; Created Wed Jul  5 11:19:50 2006
;; Emacs version 21.4.1

;; Global section:
(setq desktop-missing-file-warning nil)
(setq tags-file-name nil)
(setq tags-table-list nil)
(setq search-ring nil)
(setq regexp-search-ring nil)
(setq register-alist nil)

;; Buffer section:
(desktop-create-buffer 205
  "/home/sebastian/.completions"
  " *completion-save-buffer*"
  'fundamental-mode
  nil
  2322
  '(nil nil)
  nil
  nil
  nil)

(desktop-create-buffer 205
  nil
  "Arbeit"
  'dired-mode
  nil
  2894
  '(nil nil)
  '("/home/sebastian/TeX/Theologie/Kirchengeschichte/Arbeit/")
  nil)

(desktop-create-buffer 205
  "/home/sebastian/TeX/Theologie/AT-Theologie/Arbeit/Literatur.bib"
  "Literatur.bib"
  'bibtex-mode
  nil
  544
  '(nil nil)
  nil
  nil
  nil)

(desktop-create-buffer 205
  "/home/sebastian/TeX/Theologie/AT-Theologie/Arbeit/Scheidung.tex"
  "Scheidung.tex"
  'latex-mode
  '(auto-fill-mode flyspell-mode reftex-mode)
  2364
  '(1068 nil)
  nil
  nil
  '((TeX-master . t)))
<-----------

The buffer-file-coding-system variable ist set correctly to iso-latin-1.

I'd appreciate some help.
--
Sebastian Meisel

* Re: Still problems with desktop.el -> coding
@ 2006-07-05 10:56 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-07-05 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.07.2006 um 11:32 schrieb Sebastian Meisel:

> ---->
> Beim Blick auf das Scheidungsrecht im Alten Testament, f™ällt auf
> das sie --
> wie auch die Ehe -- nirgends ausdr™ücklich
> <-------

Ah, that's a different case! So it's not the contents of the file
desktop writes to save the names of buffers, it's the contents of the
open buffers! This *cannot* be caused by desktop.el.

You might like to add to .emacs:

	(prefer-coding-system          'iso-latin-1-unix)

although LC_CTYPE set correctly should do this inherently.

Don't forget to save the files with corrected contents before leaving
GNU Emacs! Otherwise you'll see the same again ...

Another cure is a header line like this:

	%%% -*- mode: LaTeX-mode; coding: iso-8859-15-unix; fill-column: 90 -*-

or the use of 'local variables' in the file's footer:

	%
	% Local Variables:
	% mode: LaTeX
	% fill-column: 160
	% coding-system: iso-latin-9
	% End:
	%
	%%

BTW, ``--´´ is not used in German, our ``Gedankenstrich´´ is ``-´´
(or is it TeX notation?). The comma is in the wrong place. The second
``das´´ should be ``dass´´ -- and it should be in that context ``auf,
dass´´.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for
lists of "Ten Best."
                                      -- H. Allen Smith

* Re: Still problems with desktop.el -> coding
@ 2006-07-05 11:44   ` Sebastian Meisel
From: Sebastian Meisel @ 2006-07-05 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Mittwoch, 5. Juli 2006 12:56 schrieben Sie:

> Ah, that's a different case! So it's not the contents of the file
> desktop writes to save the names of buffers, it's the contents of the
> open buffers! This *cannot* be caused by desktop.el.

However it only occurs with desktop.el.

> You might like to add to .emacs:
>
> 	(prefer-coding-system          'iso-latin-1-unix)

No change.

> Another cure is a header line like this:
>
> 	%%% -*- mode: LaTeX-mode; coding: iso-8859-15-unix; fill-column: 90 -*-

No change.

> 	%
> 	% Local Variables:
> 	% mode: LaTeX
> 	% fill-column: 160
> 	% coding-system: iso-latin-9
> 	% End:
> 	%
> 	%%

It all doesn't help. Still thank for your answer. Maybe it's a bug in emacs. I
can't see myself how desktop.el can actually case that. I'll have a last try
on the list before reporting.

--

@ 2006-07-05 12:07     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-07-05 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.07.2006 um 13:44 schrieb Sebastian Meisel:

>> You might like to add to .emacs:
>>
>> 	(prefer-coding-system          'iso-latin-1-unix)
>>
> No change.
>

>> Another cure is a header line like this:
>>
>> 	%%% -*- mode: LaTeX-mode; coding: iso-8859-15-unix; fill-column:
>> 90 -*-
>
> No change.
>
>> 	%
>> 	% Local Variables:
>> 	% mode: LaTeX
>> 	% fill-column: 160
>> 	% coding-system: iso-latin-9
>> 	% End:
>> 	%
>> 	%%
>
> It all doesn't help.

I didn't mention it explicitly: the ``™´´ characters won't go away
automatically -- who or what has the capacity to find they're wrong
there? You'll have to delete them first. And if desktop re-opens
them, then it can't happen that the local variables get overridden
and they are inserted again.

Before and after you've saved the corrected versions, take a look at
mode-line! What characters are used to describe the recent buffer's
encoding? (They're the first ones in that line, up to ``:´´ usually.)

Could you also ask the Gentoo folks what they thought was an
advantage for GNU Emacs 21.4 on Gentoo Linux? Some OS vendors have
very special thoughts ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Alle reden vom Wetter - die Bahn fährt nicht.

* Solved: problems with desktop.el -> coding
@ 2006-07-05 15:17     ` Sebastian Meisel
From: Sebastian Meisel @ 2006-07-05 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Problem was, that I still used the obsolete
set-european-language-environment in my .emacs file.
--
Sebastian Meisel