all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problems printing out diary
@ 2006-04-04 13:59 Dirk J. Guerrero Drücker
From: Dirk J. Guerrero Drücker @ 2006-04-04 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I'm new using newsgroups, please excuse me if I do something wrong.

I use the calendar in xemas, the diary file as well. I have problems printing
out the appointments of a single day.

It is easy to use the calendar and it is easy to display the appointments by
typing "d". But how can I print the appointments for that day? I tried to
mark the region and to print the region. Emacs always prints out the whole
diary file! Can anybody please help me? Please consider that I'm not an
experienced user.

Thank you very much!

* Re: Problems printing out diary
       [not found] <mailman.42.1144175189.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-04 20:47 ` Edward M. Reingold
From: Edward M. Reingold @ 2006-04-04 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: DirkJ.Druecker

    DJGD> It is easy to use the calendar and it is easy to display the
    DJGD> appointments by typing "d". But how can I print the appointments for
    DJGD> that day? I tried to mark the region and to print the region. Emacs
    DJGD> always prints out the whole diary file! Can anybody please help me?
    DJGD> Please consider that I'm not an experienced user.

That is happening because what is shown on the screen is the full diary file
WITH SOME LINES HIDDEN.  Printing prints the whole thing!

The best way to use the diary is with the fancy diary display--that way, what
you see is what you get; but the results are computed from the diary file and
hence not editable.  You set:

  (add-hook 'diary-display-hook 'fancy-diary-display)

You may also want to set:

  (add-hook 'list-diary-entries-hook 'sort-diary-entries t)

Since you are in Germany, you may want to change the month and day names to
German (this has been done before, so you can find it on the web).
--

Professor Edward M. Reingold                Email: reingold@iit.edu
Chairman, Department of Computer Science    Voice: (312) 567-3309