all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* auto wrap question
@ 2006-02-04 16:47 Olwe Bottorff
From: Olwe Bottorff @ 2006-02-04 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, auto-wrap again. Anyway, I was working on a Web
page in the default HTML fill mode and it auto-wraps
the long <p> blocks well enough. However, when I split
the screen vertically, <p> lines run on to the right
way off the screen. Horizontal split screen doesn't do
this, but wraps tolerably well. Is there any way to
make lines wrap in vertical split? (I saw
longlines.el, but I wanted to ask here first.) Also,
with the M-q command, it seems to move the right
margin in very aggressively, too much actually. Is
there a way to tame it to, say, an 80- or
100-character block? Also(^2), in HTML fill mode, the
standard C-M-\ indentation throws everything off,
disregarding any tag matching. Is there anything out
there better than the standard HTML fill mode for Web
editing?

Olwe

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: auto wrap question
       [not found] <mailman.37.1139095872.2870.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-02-05  0:23 ` roodwriter
From: roodwriter @ 2006-02-05  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Olwe Bottorff <galanolwe@yahoo.com> writes:

> Yes, auto-wrap again. Anyway, I was working on a Web
> page in the default HTML fill mode and it auto-wraps
> the long <p> blocks well enough. However, when I split
> the screen vertically, <p> lines run on to the right
> way off the screen. Horizontal split screen doesn't do
> this, but wraps tolerably well. Is there any way to
> make lines wrap in vertical split? (I saw
> longlines.el, but I wanted to ask here first.) Also,
> with the M-q command, it seems to move the right
> margin in very aggressively, too much actually. Is
> there a way to tame it to, say, an 80- or
> 100-character block? Also(^2), in HTML fill mode, the
> standard C-M-\ indentation throws everything off,
> disregarding any tag matching. Is there anything out
> there better than the standard HTML fill mode for Web
> editing?
>
> Olwe

> http://mail.yahoo.com

I've never used longlines.el for writing html but the one time I tried
splitting a window vertically experimentally (I'm a writer. I never
need to do this.), longlines did wrap two windows correctly. By
default longlines breaks lines at whatever your general wrap is set
for. But you can change a line in it to wrap lines by window width.

At least this is what I recall. I don't have time right now to try it.

--Rod
______________________
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical
Consumers" and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." To reply by e-mail
take the second "o" out of the e-mail address.

* Re: auto wrap question
@ 2006-02-06 18:42 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-02-06 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ C-h v truncate-partial-width-windows RET ]

`----

,----[ C-h k ESC q ]
| ESC q runs the command fill-paragraph
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `textmodes/fill'.
| (fill-paragraph ARG)
|
| Fill paragraph at or after point.  Prefix ARG means justify as well.
| If `sentence-end-double-space' is non-nil, then period followed by one
| space does not end a sentence, so don't break a line there.
| the variable `fill-column' controls the width for filling.
|
| If `fill-paragraph-function' is non-nil, we call it (passing our
| argument to it), and if it returns non-nil, we simply return its value.
|
| If `fill-paragraph-function' is nil, return the `fill-prefix' used for
filling.
`----

,----[ C-h v fill-column RET ]

--