all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Dired and wild cards
@ 2006-01-25 21:05   ` Tim Johnson
       [not found]     ` <mailman.136.1138223551.2878.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim Johnson @ 2006-01-25 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

In Xemacs, I can do the follow:
C-x, d and then at the prompt, put in "*.html"
and get a wild card listing.

In GNU emacs, I have to do
M-: and then (dired "*.html").
Is there easier way to do this in GNU Emacs?

:-) I know, I'm lazy, but I'm always looking for an easier, quicker way
to do things.....

Thanks
tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>

* RE: Dired and wild cards
@ 2006-01-25 21:09     ` Drew Adams
       [not found]     ` <mailman.136.1138223551.2878.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-01-25 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

    C-x, d and then at the prompt, put in "*.html"
    and get a wild card listing.

That works in GNU Emacs also.

    In GNU emacs, I have to do
    M-: and then (dired "*.html").

You shouldn't have to do that. Try emacs -q and see if it doesn't work.

* RE: Dired and wild cards
@ 2006-01-25 21:42 Jay Bingham
From: Jay Bingham @ 2006-01-25 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 3:06 PM Tim Johnson wrote:

> In XEmacs, I can do the follow:
> C-x, d and then at the prompt, put in "*.html"
> and get a wild card listing.

> In GNU Emacs, I have to do
> M-: and then (dired "*.html").
> Is there easier way to do this in GNU Emacs?

Not having used XEmacs in ages I am not remembering what it does in response to C-x d, in Emacs C-x d starts dired mode on the directory specified while C-x C-d gives a list of directories.
AFAIK both commands will accept wild cards.  Have you tried it?

__
J_)
C_)ingham

Call Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere in the World - FREE!
Free Internet calling from NetZero Voice
Visit http://www.netzerovoice.com today!

* Re: Dired and wild cards
       [not found]     ` <mailman.136.1138223551.2878.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-01-27 12:56       ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2006-01-27 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2006-01-25, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>     C-x, d and then at the prompt, put in "*.html"
>     and get a wild card listing.
>
> That works in GNU Emacs also.
>
>     In GNU emacs, I have to do
>     M-: and then (dired "*.html").
>
> You shouldn't have to do that. Try emacs -q and see if it doesn't work.

  You're right - works with -q switch. I'll check my init file
  and see what's clobbering it.

  Thanks
  tj

--

@ 2006-01-27 18:32       ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2006-01-27 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2006-01-25, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>     C-x, d and then at the prompt, put in "*.html"
>     and get a wild card listing.
>
> That works in GNU Emacs also.
>
>     In GNU emacs, I have to do
>     M-: and then (dired "*.html").
>
> You shouldn't have to do that. Try emacs -q and see if it doesn't work.

  FYI: Problem was not in .emacs, but in a major mode.
       The major mode has in invocation of (ffap-bindings).
	   Disabling that is the cure. Now I must research 'ffap.
	   tj

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>