all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How can I get emacs to show ^m,  (a carriage return)?
@ 2005-12-20  2:35 Don Monticello
From: Don Monticello @ 2005-12-20  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Our emacs on our Red-Hat Linux refuses to show the "return character"
^m. On our unix system the character shows up
and you can search for it by doing c-s c-q c-m. But, on the Red-Hat
Linux emacs not only does it not show the character
it will not find it with the search c-s c-q c-m. xemacs works fine on
both systems, showing and/or finding the ^m character
with a c-s c-q c-m search.

Any idea on how I can get emacs to show ^m and/or find ^m with a c-s c-q
c-m search?

Thank you,

* Re: How can I get emacs to show ^m,  (a carriage return)?
       [not found] <mailman.19886.1135046210.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-12-20  3:40 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-12-20  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Our emacs on our Red-Hat Linux refuses to show the "return character" ^m. On
> our unix system the character shows up
> and you can search for it by doing c-s c-q c-m. But, on the Red-Hat Linux
> emacs not only does it not show the character
> it will not find it with the search c-s c-q c-m. xemacs works fine on both
> systems, showing and/or finding the ^m character
> with a c-s c-q c-m search.

> Any idea on how I can get emacs to show ^m and/or find ^m with a c-s c-q
> c-m search?

Do C-x RET u unix RET before C-x C-f to tell Emacs that the file should be
treated as a "unix" file rather than a "dos" file.

* Re: How can I get emacs to show ^m,  (a carriage return)?
@ 2005-12-20 11:32 ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2005-12-20 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Any idea on how I can get emacs to show ^m and/or find ^m with a c-s c-q
> c-m search?

(setq inhibit-eol-conversion t)