all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Need Regex Tutorial
@ 2005-12-05  2:48 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-12-05  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

My last postings have indicate to me that I need to roll up my sleeves
and learn regex from the ground up.

1)Info on my GNU emacs *does not* show anything about regular
  expressions. Info on my XEmacs does and it is not sufficient for me.

  I would appreciate pointers to online docs on regex, since
  my emacs does appear not have them.

2)I'm an old dog, but I *can* learn new tricks if I have examples.
  *lots* of examples, starting with the most basic. I can work from the
  Fiedl book, but seeing some basic emacs examples will help me to
  reconcile the differences between emacs regex (or as Friedl calls 'em -
  'scattered toothpicks') and "classic" approaches

  Pointers to examples welcome.

  thanks
  tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>

* RE: Need Regex Tutorial
@ 2005-12-05  6:51 ` Herbert Euler
From: Herbert Euler @ 2005-12-05  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found one here:

    http://analyser.oli.tudelft.nl/regex/index.html.en

Hope that is useful for you. BTW, why are there no
anything about regular expressions on your info?
Perhaps you can try:

    C-h i melisp RET mregexp example RET

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu

>From: Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
>To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>Subject: Need Regex Tutorial
>Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 17:48:08 -0900
>
>My last postings have indicate to me that I need to roll up my sleeves
>and learn regex from the ground up.
>
>1)Info on my GNU emacs *does not* show anything about regular
>   expressions. Info on my XEmacs does and it is not sufficient for me.
>
>   I would appreciate pointers to online docs on regex, since
>   my emacs does appear not have them.
>
>2)I'm an old dog, but I *can* learn new tricks if I have examples.
>   *lots* of examples, starting with the most basic. I can work from the
>   Fiedl book, but seeing some basic emacs examples will help me to
>   reconcile the differences between emacs regex (or as Friedl calls 'em -
>   'scattered toothpicks') and "classic" approaches
>
>   Pointers to examples welcome.
>
>   thanks
>   tim
>
>--
>Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
>       http://www.alaska-internet-solutions.com

* Re: Need Regex Tutorial
@ 2005-12-05 16:12   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-12-05 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Herbert Euler <herberteuler@hotmail.com> [051204 21:56]:
> I found one here:
>
>    http://analyser.oli.tudelft.nl/regex/index.html.en

  That will be helpful. Yes.

> Hope that is useful for you. BTW, why are there no
> anything about regular expressions on your info?

  I don't know. I also have Xemacs. I suspect a plugin changed things

> Perhaps you can try:

>    C-h i melisp RET mregexp example RET

  On Xemacs, that works.
  Thanks. BTW: Found that I also have "Regular Expression Recipes"
  by Nathan Good. I should be good to go now.
  thank you!
  tim

@ 2005-12-06 20:10 ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2005-12-06 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:

> My last postings have indicate to me that I need to roll up my sleeves
> and learn regex from the ground up.
>
> 1)Info on my GNU emacs *does not* show anything about regular
>   expressions. Info on my XEmacs does and it is not sufficient for me.
>
>   I would appreciate pointers to online docs on regex, since
>   my emacs does appear not have them.
>
> 2)I'm an old dog, but I *can* learn new tricks if I have examples.
>   *lots* of examples, starting with the most basic. I can work from the
>   Fiedl book, but seeing some basic emacs examples will help me to
>   reconcile the differences between emacs regex (or as Friedl calls 'em -
>   'scattered toothpicks') and "classic" approaches
>
>   Pointers to examples welcome.
>
>   thanks
>   tim
>
> --
> Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
>       http://www.alaska-internet-solutions.com

I hope someone mentioned 'regexp-builder', which lets you create regular
expressions from within emacs and watch how they work.

* Re: Need Regex Tutorial
@ 2005-12-06 23:42   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-12-06 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

* J. David Boyd <david@adboyd.com> [051206 11:24]:

> I hope someone mentioned 'regexp-builder', which lets you create regular
> expressions from within emacs and watch how they work.

  :-) That someone is you apparently and what a good tip it is!
  I believe this the "re-builder" module packaged with my version 21.2

  Glad you brought this up. It is going to be very helpful

  thanks
  tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>