all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: How to insert buffer name into buffer
@ 2005-11-06 15:34 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2005-11-06 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

bturnip@i.hate.spam writes:

> So if I open a new buffer called world_domination.c and then call my
> function, the result looks something like this:

Is (insert (buffer-name)) enough ?

--
Bastien

* How to insert buffer name into buffer
@ 2005-11-06 15:40 bturnip
From: bturnip @ 2005-11-06 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am writing a little function that fills out some of my code
documentation for me.  What I want to do is take the buffer name and
insert it into the comment block.  So if I open a new buffer called
world_domination.c and then call my function, the result looks something like
this:

/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 * File name: world_domination.c
 * Author: bturnip
 * File date: 11/11/2011
.
.
.
etc

* Re: How to insert buffer name into buffer
@ 2005-11-06 15:45   ` bturnip
From: bturnip @ 2005-11-06 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

That was 100% exactly what I was wanted.  Thanks!

* Re: How to insert buffer name into buffer
@ 2005-11-06 15:47 ` ken
From: ken @ 2005-11-06 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

This function should get you part of the way there:

(defun file-name-into-kill-buffer ()
"Put path/filename of current buffer onto kill-ring so to paste
into an X application."
(interactive)
     (let ((str (buffer-file-name)))
       (and str
            (kill-new str)
            (message "Copied %s to kill ring" str)))
)

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 09:40:08 -0600
bturnip <bturnip@i.hate.spam> wrote:

> I am writing a little function that fills out some of my code
> documentation for me.  What I want to do is take the buffer name and
> insert it into the comment block.  So if I open a new buffer called
> world_domination.c and then call my function, the result looks
> something like this:
>
> /* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>  * File name: world_domination.c
>  * Author: bturnip
>  * File date: 11/11/2011
> .
> .
> .
> etc

do.  Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to
live.
	-- Bradford Angier

* Re: How to insert buffer name into buffer
@ 2005-11-06 16:05     ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2005-11-06 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

+ "bturnip" <bturnip@gmail.com>:

| That was 100% exactly what I was wanted.  Thanks!

Well, you should be aware that (insert (buffer-name)) just might
insert something like "world_domination.c<3>", if you really are into
this world domination stuff.

Here is an alternative solution:

(defun insert-buffer-file-name ()
  "Insert the current buffer's file name, or the buffer name if the buffer
is not visiting a file."
  (interactive)
  (insert
   (let ((fn (buffer-file-name)))
     (if (and fn (string-match "^.*/\\([^/]+\\)$" fn))
	 (substring fn (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1))
       (buffer-name)))))

- Debating gives most of us much more psychological satisfaction
  than thinking does: but it deprives us of whatever chance there is
  of getting closer to the truth.  -- C.P. Snow

* Re: How to insert buffer name into buffer
@ 2005-11-06 16:43       ` François Fleuret
From: François Fleuret @ 2005-11-06 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

<Harald Hanche-Olsen> wrote on 06 Nov 2005 17:05:57 MET:

> Well, you should be aware that (insert (buffer-name)) just might
> insert something like "world_domination.c<3>", if you really are into
> this world domination stuff.

You're right. He was probably more looking for

 (insert (buffer-file-name))

| buffer-file-name is a built-in function.
| (buffer-file-name &optional BUFFER)
|
| Return name of file BUFFER is visiting, or nil if none.
| No argument or nil as argument means use the current buffer.

Cheers,

--
François Fleuret                          http://cvlab.epfl.ch/~fleuret