all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Neon Absentius - what for LaTex
@ 2005-10-28 14:24 Friedrich Laher
From: Friedrich Laher @ 2005-10-28 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

"computer illiterate" ?  - but handcoding LaTex ?

why not using Texmacs  (  www.texmacs.org )

I know that similar questions have been raised on the past but I
wasn't able to find all the information I need.

What is the "best" way to use emacs as a (La)TeX editor in windows
operating systems?  Besides auc-tex and preview-latex that are
indispensable, I would also like whizzytex to be available.
Preferably I would like a binary of emacs that is easy to install even
for people that have not much experience with windows (like me).
Also, which TeX distribution for windows do you think is best?

I am trying to promote the use of emacs as the LaTeX editor of choice
to a group of more or less "computer illiterate" people that treat
"windows" and "computers" more or less as synonyms.  So I want to be
able to set up an impressive presentation that will convince them for
the power of emacs, hopefully without scaring them too much.

Any help will greatly be appreciated.

-- There is no national science just as there is no national
multiplication table; what is national is no longer science. -- Anton
Checov

* Re: Neon Absentius - what for LaTex
       [not found] <mailman.13079.1130509786.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-10-28 15:12 ` David Kastrup
       [not found]   ` <mailman.13115.1130525875.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-10-28 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Friedrich Laher <fritz.laher@schmieder-laher.de> writes:

> What is the "best" way to use emacs as a (La)TeX editor in windows
> operating systems?  Besides auc-tex and preview-latex that are
> indispensable, I would also like whizzytex to be available.
> Preferably I would like a binary of emacs that is easy to install
> even for people that have not much experience with windows (like
> me).

You could give the developer Emacs with preinstalled AUCTeX at
<URL:ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/auctex> a try.

* Re: Neon Absentius - what for LaTex
@ 2005-10-28 18:44 ` Neon Absentius
From: Neon Absentius @ 2005-10-28 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 04:24:03PM +0200, Friedrich Laher wrote:
> "computer illiterate" ?  - but handcoding LaTex ?

Notice the quotes.

Well they had to write a thesis and/or papers so they have learned to
use LaTeX.  I don't think that it requires a lot of computer literacy
to be able to write LaTeX documents.  It just requires a somewhat
structured point of view.

> why not using Texmacs  (  www.texmacs.org )

Because I specifically need a *LaTeX editor*, IIRC Texmacs has its own
document format which exports into LaTeX with varying degrees of
accuracy.

But the real reason is that I really like emacs ;)

--

@ 2005-10-28 18:57   ` Neon Absentius
       [not found]   ` <mailman.13115.1130525875.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Neon Absentius @ 2005-10-28 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 05:12:40PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Friedrich Laher <fritz.laher@schmieder-laher.de> writes:
>
> > What is the "best" way to use emacs as a (La)TeX editor in windows
> > operating systems?  Besides auc-tex and preview-latex that are
> > indispensable, I would also like whizzytex to be available.
> > Preferably I would like a binary of emacs that is easy to install
> > even for people that have not much experience with windows (like
> > me).
>
> You could give the developer Emacs with preinstalled AUCTeX at
> <URL:ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/auctex> a try.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

It seems though that whizzytex works only for unix-like operating
systems so if I want to use it I would probably have to use cygwin.

--

@ 2005-10-28 19:21     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-10-28 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 05:12:40PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Friedrich Laher <fritz.laher@schmieder-laher.de> writes:
>>
>> > What is the "best" way to use emacs as a (La)TeX editor in windows
>> > operating systems?  Besides auc-tex and preview-latex that are
>> > indispensable, I would also like whizzytex to be available.
>> > Preferably I would like a binary of emacs that is easy to install
>> > even for people that have not much experience with windows (like
>> > me).
>>
>> You could give the developer Emacs with preinstalled AUCTeX at
>> <URL:ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/auctex> a try.
>>

> Thanks, I'll have a look.
>
> It seems though that whizzytex works only for unix-like operating
> systems so if I want to use it I would probably have to use cygwin.

No idea about that.  MSYS tends to provide a reasonably unix-like
environment for most purposes, and is less idiosyncratic than Cygwin.

* Re: Neon Absentius - what for LaTex
@ 2005-11-26 23:10       ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2005-11-26 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <85vezhh2hl.fsf@lola.goethe.zz>, David Kastrup  <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

>>> You could give the developer Emacs with preinstalled AUCTeX at
>>> <URL:ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/auctex> a try.
>>>

>> Thanks, I'll have a look.
>>
>> It seems though that whizzytex works only for unix-like operating
>> systems so if I want to use it I would probably have to use cygwin.
>
>No idea about that.  MSYS tends to provide a reasonably unix-like
>environment for most purposes, and is less idiosyncratic than Cygwin.
>
>--
>David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

Please, what is MSVS, and in what way might it be "better"
than cygwin (for giving windows people access to things
like egrep, ...)?

Thanks,

David

* Re: Neon Absentius - what for LaTex
@ 2005-11-26 23:19         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-11-26 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> In article <85vezhh2hl.fsf@lola.goethe.zz>, David Kastrup  <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>>Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

>>> Thanks, I'll have a look.
>>>
>>> It seems though that whizzytex works only for unix-like operating
>>> systems so if I want to use it I would probably have to use cygwin.
>>
>>No idea about that.  MSYS tends to provide a reasonably unix-like
>>environment for most purposes, and is less idiosyncratic than Cygwin.
>
> Please, what is MSVS, and in what way might it be "better"
> than cygwin (for giving windows people access to things
> like egrep, ...)?

You don't need special DLLs, and it does far less meddling with path
names and system call imitations and so on.  Which makes stuff behave
somewhat more naturally and faster _if_ you get them to compile
(applications that use lot of Unix-specific features tend to be easier
to port to Cygwin, as that pretty much emulates most of the Unix
APIs).

The web page of MSYS <URL:http://www.mingw.org/msys.shtml> should
provide further details.